2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Pix of "Lifetime" Auto Trans Fluid

01-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #23
F10Dan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 528iXDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian View Post

DEC 30TH, 2019 UPDATE

We noticed that some minor lurching was starting to reappear on a sporatic basis.

With about 3,000 more miles since the original fluid change, we did a quick change just to continue to replace the unit with fresh fluid.

This time, we only used the pan drain plug and slightly less than 3 pints came out. It was not quite as dark as the original picture from my earlier posting...but still brown.

We pumped in a similar amount of new Liquid Moly from FCP. So far, it is shifting fine.

I still have some fluid left if we want to change it again in 10,000 miles.

Tasmanian
How did you drain the pan? FCP told me yesterday that the ZF pan drain was a plastic single use item. It can be unscrewed but brakes tabs preventing it from being securely retightened. Ill see if I can find a pic...
      01-04-2020, 05:00 AM   #24
F10Dan
Private
Rep

Name:  60230900-EB95-49C6-ACF4-C7C5C27D053E.jpeg
Views: 324
Size:  1.59 MB
      01-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #25
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Dan View Post
How did you drain the pan? FCP told me yesterday that the ZF pan drain was a plastic single use item. It can be unscrewed but brakes tabs preventing it from being securely retightened. Ill see if I can find a pic...
You just need to replace the drain plug itself if you plan on reusing the filter/pan for some reason and the tabs don't break(it just feels like they are), they are there to prevent it from becoming loose as the tightening torque is something small like 7nm.

Also double check the torque on the new pan, mine had the plug already installed and I assumed it was torqued, good thing I double checked as it was not which would have created a nice leak down the road
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #26
F10Dan
Private
Rep

I bought the FCP Euro Kit. I figure since they have a lifetime replacement on everything including, fluids and filters, I will only have to pay for the parts once.

Another question: Do you take out the plastic pan plug and then replace it with the metal one? Or just keep the plastic one in there.
      01-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #27
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
I bought the FCP Euro Kit. I figure since they have a lifetime replacement on everything including, fluids and filters, I will only have to pay for the parts once.

Another question: Do you take out the plastic pan plug and then replace it with the metal one? Or just keep the plastic one in there.
That's a great kit and as for your question, keep the plastic plug the kit comes with, just make sure it is torqued properly. I don't remember the exact number but it's printed right on the pan something around 7 nm. Buy yourself a good torque wrench if you don't have one already it's critical.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:10 AM   #28
GottiLee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535d xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottiLee View Post
Just my input, but I'm at 261,000 miles and have yet to have one issue with fluids. Just saying, but I'm sure my time is coming!!
Flat Lander. Have most of those miles been in Florida? Try doing that in the mountains. My bet is you would not have made it to 120K without some tranny issues.
Yes all miles have been in Florida primarily. Straight roads, fair and consistent weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #29
F10Dan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes all miles have been in Florida primarily. Straight roads, fair and consistent weather.
That’s wonderful! I dropped my son’s Mini Cooper spare tire this weekend and it was rusted to heck. We had four inches of snow last night. While on the highway this morning my car and undercarriage was pelted by bb sized salt and cinder at 55-65 mph for an hour. Only the toughest survive these conditions.

Suspensions last 100k tops due to this abuse, further punished by potholes and dirt roads. My wife loves the BMW so...

You guys have to deal with the sun, heat, humidity and salt air near the ocean.
      01-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #30
GottiLee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535d xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
That’s wonderful! I dropped my son’s Mini Cooper spare tire this weekend and it was rusted to heck. We had four inches of snow last night. While on the highway this morning my car and undercarriage was pelted by bb sized salt and cinder at 55-65 mph for an hour. Only the toughest survive these conditions.

Suspensions last 100k tops due to this abuse, further punished by potholes and dirt roads. My wife loves the BMW so...

You guys have to deal with the sun, heat, humidity and salt air near the ocean.
Yes the sun does it's share of wear, there's always construction on the highways here, and the salt surprisingly has never caused any issues with my cars as of yet. But suspensions gets its share of wear everyday!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #31
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

For the guys that recently did this, how do you refill the second time and top off without burning yourself if the car is warm already? If the main reason for filling at the right temperature is getting the right amount in, can't you just measure how much came out and make sure you put the same amount in? I saw some people jack up the passenger side to add another liter.

I'm planning on doing this on ramps, is there a way to put the car into neutral to bring it off the ramps after the first fill?

Thanks!

Last edited by Sylverlee; 02-21-2020 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: added details.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:14 AM   #32
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
For the guys that recently did this, how do you refill the second time and top off without burning yourself if the car is warm already? If the main reason for filling at the right temperature is getting the right amount in, can't you just measure how much came out and make sure you put the same amount in? I saw some people jack up the passenger side to add another liter.

I'm planning on doing this on ramps, is there a way to put the car into neutral to bring it off the ramps after the first fill?

Thanks!
IMO - Do it by the book - no guessing. The factory fill could be wrong, or you might have had a leak you didn't know about etc...

I found this process way easier than I was expecting based on my past experience with doing this on E39s. I'm pretty sure I posted here somewhere after I did my job this spring.

I wore gloves, and I put a flame protector over the exhaust pipe closest to the transmission where I might bump it with an arm. This is the kind of thing used by plumbers when they use a torch to solder and need to protect stuff behind the pipe. like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-9-...4002/100345508

With the car on stands and an assistant in the driver's seat with the ISTA laptop, I was easily able to scoot in and out and do what I needed to do to set the level.

Daunting to think about, but way easier than I was expecting.
Appreciate 1
Sylverlee150.00