2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum What power steering do I have?

01-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #1
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

What power steering do I have?

I'm sure it's obvious to some of the knowledgeable people around here, but I am a little confused based on what I see under the hood.

From my reading I found that the Xdrive models have a hydraulic power steering while the rear drive models have electric. That's why you can have parking assistent on the rear wheel drive but not the xdrive.

I have a 2015 550i rear wheel drive with integral active steering and parking assistent. But when I open the hood I can see a power steering fluid reservoir in front of the engine bay on the driver side. So... electric or hydraulic?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
I'm sure it's obvious to some of the knowledgeable people around here, but I am a little confused based on what I see under the hood.

From my reading I found that the Xdrive models have a hydraulic power steering while the rear drive models have electric. That's why you can have parking assistent on the rear wheel drive but not the xdrive.

I have a 2015 550i rear wheel drive with integral active steering and parking assistent. But when I open the hood I can see a power steering fluid reservoir in front of the engine bay on the driver side. So... electric or hydraulic?
Have you got Adaptive Drive? (DHP). ARS (active roll stabilisation) uses a hydraulic pump, so has the appearance of HPAS being fitted.

I've got EPS and the hydraulic components for ARS, on my 535i.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
walmark
Apprentice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Have you got Adaptive Drive? (DHP). ARS (active roll stabilisation) uses a hydraulic pump, so has the appearance of HPAS being fitted.

Ok, that makes sense. I do have adaptive drive with ARS. I just didn't know that it uses power steering fluid and reservoir for hydraulics.
Do you know if it also has a belt driven power steering pump to pressurize the fluid? Or is it electric?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 03:32 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
Ok, that makes sense. I do have adaptive drive with ARS. I just didn't know that it uses power steering fluid and reservoir for hydraulics.
Do you know if it also has a belt driven power steering pump to pressurize the fluid? Or is it electric?
Yes, belt driven and runs at pressure, which is reduced off load. The xDrive models with HPAS, uses the same pump and ancillaries for the steering and ARS.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:27 AM   #5
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:

On a side note...
Are you guys with ARS seeing lots of body roll?
15 535i Msport with DHP/ARS had hideous amounts of body roll.
More than any car I have recently driven. It almost seemed that ARS wasn't even present.
Very very soft roll control. Especially in comfort mode. Things were a bit more flat in Sport mode. But still nothing like the table flat ARS in my old 2010 535i Msport with ARS.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
walmark
Apprentice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Quote:

On a side note...
Are you guys with ARS seeing lots of body roll?
15 535i Msport with DHP/ARS had hideous amounts of body roll.
More than any car I have recently driven. It almost seemed that ARS wasn't even present.
Very very soft roll control. Especially in comfort mode. Things were a bit more flat in Sport mode. But still nothing like the table flat ARS in my old 2010 535i Msport with ARS.
It's hard for me to say. There is definitely some body roll, but I guess it's less than what I would expect from this size car. Then again I have not driven 550 (heavy!) without it so it's hard to compare.
Appreciate 0