2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Permanent throttle body / adaptive transmission reset

08-31-2020, 09:13 AM   #23
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
You're tuned. After I put MHD on I've never even been tempted to do this reset which, pre-tune, used to cause dramatic improvement.
That seems to suggest that the sluggishness is code for "need more powaaaaaaaaaa"
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #24
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
That seems to suggest that the sluggishness is code for "need more powaaaaaaaaaa"
Yep, there's always that

It's been difficult to find out what exactly that reset is - xHP told someone it was the "driver key memory", presumably learned "old lady" or "leadfoot" behaviour? When you don't know what you're resetting, who knows what might fix or alter it?

I don't know if MHD or xHP improved my situation. If it was a transmission mapping reset, then it could have been xHP simply removing that learning function. If it was a throttle pedal learning thing, I set my MHD to "linear throttle", and maybe that wiped out the bad behaviour. I had my entire car upgraded a couple of iSteps since new so it shouldn't just be old DME software (which has been reported as part of the problem by BMW) so ANY tune might fix it.

Who knows...

I should try it just for kicks and see if I notice anything with both tunes enabled.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:31 AM   #25
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
What exactly is feeling lethargic? Shifts? Acceleration? Throttle response? I've never reset the throttle body even once and the car is as zippy as ever.
All of the above. After a while (week or so) throttle response is increased, car shifts to higher gear sooner and as a result the car accelerates slower. Once I do throttle body adaptations reset, all of these issues are gone and car drives like it should for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #26
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
What exactly is feeling lethargic? Shifts? Acceleration? Throttle response? I've never reset the throttle body even once and the car is as zippy as ever.
You're tuned. After I put MHD on I've never even been tempted to do this reset which, pre-tune, used to cause dramatic improvement.
Pulls on MHD stage 2+ are huge improvement over stock but still throttle lag and shifting are issues after driving for a week or so. I wonder if maybe my car had older software version. I hear that new software fixes some problems related to hesitation and acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:48 PM   #27
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzz View Post
Pulls on MHD stage 2+ are huge improvement over stock but still throttle lag and shifting are issues after driving for a week or so. I wonder if maybe my car had older software version. I hear that new software fixes some problems related to hesitation and acceleration.
I have a 2015 that has never been firmware updated, at least to my knowledge, so not a firmware issue. I think you're just being too gentle with the pedal relative to the factory values, so when it adapts to how it thinks you want to drive you perceive it as being sluggish. See if it goes away if you just stab the pedal a bit more than you're used to.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #28
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have a 2015 that has never been firmware updated, at least to my knowledge, so not a firmware issue. I think you're just being too gentle with the pedal relative to the factory values, so when it adapts to how it thinks you want to drive you perceive it as being sluggish. See if it goes away if you just stab the pedal a bit more than you're used to.
My 2 cents on how I remember things being.... When it "adapted" and felt sluggish, you could still get the car to move deep in the pedal or by jabbing at it, the problem is there would still be delayed response from a stop, and then it would violently jerk forward and start accelerating. It was either smooth and slow, or tire chirping and zoomed off winding out the gears. It was extremely difficult to be in between, which is where I generally drive once it's warmed up - let's call it "taking off confidently", neither being a jerk nor a limo driver, shifts in D around 3k-3.5k going up the gears.

After reset - super easy to be gentle, "confident" or aggressive - whatever you wanted. Then it learned to suck. At least that's the way I remember it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #29
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
My 2 cents on how I remember things being.... When it "adapted" and felt sluggish, you could still get the car to move deep in the pedal or by jabbing at it, the problem is there would still be delayed response from a stop, and then it would violently jerk forward and start accelerating. It was either smooth and slow, or tire chirping and zoomed off winding out the gears. It was extremely difficult to be in between, which is where I generally drive once it's warmed up - let's call it "taking off confidently", neither being a jerk nor a limo driver, shifts in D around 3k-3.5k going up the gears.

After reset - super easy to be gentle, "confident" or aggressive - whatever you wanted. Then it learned to suck. At least that's the way I remember it.
Yes, yes and yes! This is exactly what is happening to me on a weekly basis. I'll set "linear mapping" in MHD and see if that helps. What is your i-step level?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #30
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, yes and yes! This is exactly what is happening to me on a weekly basis. I'll set "linear mapping" in MHD and see if that helps. What is your i-step level?
My underlying istep is F010-17-11-520 according to my records.

So - you still get this behaviour with MHD and normal throttle map?? If yes, that's interesting and the first I've heard of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #31
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

So - you still get this behaviour with MHD and normal throttle map?? If yes, that's interesting and the first I've heard of it.
I did throttle body adaptation reset last Friday and I can see that the car is becoming sluggish. I've sent email to MHD and they want me to do some logging and send them the data. I'll wait for the car to become sluggish then capture logs, perform throttle body adaptations reset and capture logs again and send everything to MHD.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 07:40 AM   #32
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I did throttle body adaptation reset last Friday and I can see that the car is becoming sluggish. I've sent email to MHD and they want me to do some logging and send them the data. I'll wait for the car to become sluggish then capture logs, perform throttle body adaptations reset and capture logs again and send everything to MHD.
I'm very curious what you find. Please post the results of that.

Do you use linear throttle or regular?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #33
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm very curious what you find. Please post the results of that.

Do you use linear throttle or regular?
Regular for now. I'll change to linear after I send logs to MHD. Did you try to perform throttle body adaptations reset to see if you'll notice any difference?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #34
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Regular for now. I'll change to linear after I send logs to MHD. Did you try to perform throttle body adaptations reset to see if you'll notice any difference?
Not yet. Maybe in the next day or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #35
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Not yet. Maybe in the next day or so.
Cool, let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #36
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I've solved this problem by changing upshift points in Sport mode in XHP to higher values (see pic below) so transmission stays in gear little longer. I think I'll add another 10% to 5=>6 shift point. The car now shifts gears exactly when I want it. XHP is well worth it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #37
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

Just checked my I-step level and it is F010-18-07-530, which appears to be a year later than yours, so underlying software shouldn't be a problem
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #38
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:

Interesting thread. This was the *exact* behavior on my '15 335i/N55. The abrupt almost violent take off from a stop was super annoying, but better for a couple weeks after a throttle adaptation reset.

Never tried xHP though. I always wondered if it was some sort of "disconnect" between throttle and transmission.

(No longer have the issue, as I've now got a '16 550i.)

Dzz, did the xHP upshift adjustments make take off from stop any better?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #39
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post

Dzz, did the xHP upshift adjustments make take off from stop any better?
Yes, it helped somewhat. Now I understand that what people call "throttle body reset" is only resetting transmission shift points (which are tied to a key) and in my experience after the car "learns" your driving habits, the problem are mainly related to changing 3rd to 4th, 5th to 6th gear.. too soon, so obviously when you are in the higher gear too early, torque is lower and the car just doesn't feel right.
So XHP "fix" helps somewhat, but after doing the procedure for resetting transmission shift points, the car definitely feels more "lively" and drives better without annoying early upshifts. I am really hoping that this behaviour can be permanently removed or coded out.
Appreciate 0