2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Sport Automatic Transmission (Bimmercode)

01-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #1
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: ALPINE WHITE F10 520D

Sport Automatic Transmission (Bimmercode)

Even after some research, I cannot find a definitive statement about what exactly "Sport Automatic Transmission" means and does when you turn it on from Bimmercode? Can someone please explain more detailed what is its function? Does it add SPORTS+ to your driving mode, because in my case I do not have it? Thank you!

Last edited by Sphericos; 01-26-2019 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
_GW_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

At minimum, turning on Sport Automatic Transmission (SAT) should cause the transmission to shift gears faster when you move the gear lever to the left. At that point, instead of seeing DS, you'll see S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6 or S7. You won't see S8 because the transmission won't be allowed to go to 8th gear.

I don't know if coding SAT will automatically add SPORTS+ mode. My car was coded for SPORTS+ mode before I learned about SAT. I enabled SAT after I got SPORTS+ mode coded.

In the meantime while you're figuring out how to code SPORTS+ mode, you can manually setup the car to behave the same way that it would in SPORTS+ mode. Others on this forum say you can do this by using the rocker switch (Driving Dynamic Control switch) to put the car into regular SPORT mode, then pressing the DSC button once.

On another note, you can see if your car can be coded for SPORT+ mode by typing you VIN into the search function at:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-idrive-coding/
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep

Oh, okay, that explains actually quite a lot, thank you! I was also thinking what would be the effect of moving the gear lever to the left when in sports mode rather than doing it when you are in comfort. I know that in sports mode the throttle is more responsive, the steering gets a bit stiffer and of course, it takes higher RPMs to switch gears. On the other side moving the gear lever has an effect on the last one - switching gears in higher RPMs.

Also, If I set the SAT to aktiv, this will mean that I will get that extra boost in gear change only when I am in sport mode, right? Do you actually feel any difference, after you have coded it in your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
_GW_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

The way I understand it is that there is a sport mode for the transmission and a different/separate sport mode for the engine.

-When transmission is in sport mode you should see DS (or if SAT is coded you'll see S1-S7) on the cluster.
-When engine is in sport mode you should see SPORT on the cluster. Or of course SPORT+ when you finally get that coded.

When both engine and transmission are in sport mode you'll see DS SPORT or S1 SPORT (or S2, S3 and so on).

Below is a chart from the F30 guys that might characterize the various combination of settings for both engine and transmission.

As far as performance of the engine in terms of SPORT+ vs regular SPORT, I did feel for the longest time that SPORT+ didn't feel any different from regular SPORT. But recently I've begun to change my mind. I eventually got a tune so I don't know if the tune is why SPORT+ now feels a bit different from SPORT.

I don't remember how I felt about the performance of the transmission after I coded SAT. It's been a while since I did that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep

Thanks a lot, buddy! Quite a useful table to have! Appreciate that!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I think there's a couple of layers of questions here....

A car with option 2TB has the "Sport Automatic Transmission". Over the years I've seen all kinds of assertions about whether the hardware is different, software is different, or if it's just things like paddles, shifter knobs, whether the display shows "DS" or "S1" and on and on.

The functions/features concerning the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ switch are completely separate, but related.

My car does not have 2TB. My car does not have a Comfort/Sport switch (which is fine by me). I have driven cars with 2TB. I can tell you that there's a definite difference in the shift programs. For clarity, when I say "shift program" I do not mean the RPM at which a shift occurs. I mean the way the transmission shifts - speed, pressures, type of engine power retard etc.... The 2TB is always faster shifting, even in the most lazy shift program (comfort, D, very light acceleration). The 2TB most aggressive shift program is FAR faster and more aggressive than the most aggressive shift program on my 205.

I have coded my car for 2TB in order to get paddles functional and play with the S1,S2,S3 display mode. There was NO difference in the shift programs, or in the shift points (RPM) in either D or S. My option 205 car had the same three shift programs it always had, and none are as aggressive at the 2TB.

Based on experience and observation behind the wheel/stick, but without authoritative factory training, I have to say that the 2TB seems quite different from the 205 in ways that coding doesn't fix. I do not know if the mechatronic is actually different, or if there's just different firmware. On E90s there were discussions about flashing Alpina firmware to transmissions and whatnot. I've never seen equivalent conversations about converting a 205 to a 2TB in any way, but maybe the data is out there.

So coding will get you S1, S2, S3 and activate paddles if you're retrofitting, but it won't change the actual transmission or the way it shifts.
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #7
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

A car with option 2TB has the "Sport Automatic Transmission". Over the years I've seen all kinds of assertions about whether the hardware is different, software is different, or if it's just things like paddles, shifter knobs, whether the display shows "DS" or "S1" and on and on.

The functions/features concerning the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ switch are completely separate, but related.

My car does not have 2TB. My car does not have a Comfort/Sport switch (which is fine by me). I have driven cars with 2TB. I can tell you that there's a definite difference in the shift programs. For clarity, when I say "shift program" I do not mean the RPM at which a shift occurs. I mean the way the transmission shifts - speed, pressures, type of engine power retard etc.... The 2TB is always faster shifting, even in the most lazy shift program (comfort, D, very light acceleration). The 2TB most aggressive shift program is FAR faster and more aggressive than the most aggressive shift program on my 205.

I have coded my car for 2TB in order to get paddles functional and play with the S1,S2,S3 display mode. There was NO difference in the shift programs, or in the shift points (RPM) in either D or S. My option 205 car had the same three shift programs it always had, and none are as aggressive at the 2TB.

Based on experience and observation behind the wheel/stick, but without authoritative factory training, I have to say that the 2TB seems quite different from the 205 in ways that coding doesn't fix. I do not know if the mechatronic is actually different, or if there's just different firmware. On E90s there were discussions about flashing Alpina firmware to transmissions and whatnot. I've never seen equivalent conversations about converting a 205 to a 2TB in any way, but maybe the data is out there.

So coding will get you S1, S2, S3 and activate paddles if you're retrofitting, but it won't change the actual transmission or the way it shifts.
Thank you very nuch for the detailed explanation. So far I am not planning to add shifting paddles, but who knows. Most probably in the near future I might do this as well. It's good to know how this works!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

I really don't want to rain on your parade but you have what is probably the smallest engine BMW puts into a 5 series. You're not going to squeeze much of anything more out of it. I would to for the creature comforts and visual appeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
I really don't want to rain on your parade but you have what is probably the smallest engine BMW puts into a 5 series. You're not going to squeeze much of anything more out of it. I would to for the creature comforts and visual appeal.
Yeah, I know! Haha

Well, I live in Europe and this is the best selling engine here due to economic and eco factors. I just want to be aware of all the cool features this series is offering. Hopefully in the near future my next upgrade will be a M vehicle
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:

There is no hardware difference; the actual transmissions are identical. The ONLY difference is in the software, i.e. removing 205 and replacing it with 2TB in the VO. Some coding is required to enable the paddle shifters to work properly; I did it on my 2012. It's all in the coding section...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
There is no hardware difference; the actual transmissions are identical. The ONLY difference is in the software, i.e. removing 205 and replacing it with 2TB in the VO. Some coding is required to enable the paddle shifters to work properly; I did it on my 2012. It's all in the coding section...
All that I wrote indicates that in my personal experience, coding does not make a 205 act like a 2TB. At all.

Coding 2TB into the VO of a 205 car gives the S1/2/3 display (big deal), and is part of the solution to retrofit paddles. I found no other differences to account for the operational differences I've observed when behind the wheel of a true 2TB car.

Admittedly I've never seen any difference in RealOEM or other parts systems that say any hardware is different. Firmware could be, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All that I wrote indicates that in my personal experience, coding does not make a 205 act like a 2TB. At all.

Coding 2TB into the VO of a 205 car gives the S1/2/3 display (big deal), and is part of the solution to retrofit paddles. I found no other differences to account for the operational differences I've observed when behind the wheel of a true 2TB car.

Admittedly I've never seen any difference in RealOEM or other parts systems that say any hardware is different. Firmware could be, though.
There's another module that needs coding, I just don't remember what it is (should be listed in the coding section). My 2012 with 2TB coded acts just like my 2014 with the SAT as far as I can tell. I'm 99.999999999999% positive there are no physical (hardware) differences in the two transmissions.

IIRC the transmission does "learn" your driving style and that may be your observation. Disconnect your battery overnight and that will return the trans it it's stock programming (I'm not sure if it will be the 205 or 2TB parameters). Then let it learn how you drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
There's another module that needs coding, I just don't remember what it is (should be listed in the coding section). My 2012 with 2TB coded acts just like my 2014 with the SAT as far as I can tell. I'm 99.999999999999% positive there are no physical (hardware) differences in the two transmissions.

IIRC the transmission does "learn" your driving style and that may be your observation. Disconnect your battery overnight and that will return the trans it it's stock programming (I'm not sure if it will be the 205 or 2TB parameters). Then let it learn how you drive.
Do you reckon that will also forget all my profile settings and seat memory?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #14
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphericos View Post
Do you reckon that will also forget all my profile settings and seat memory?
Nope. If I'm correct about the adaptive learning all it "learns" are shift pressures and shift speeds (probably some other parameters also) based on your driving style. Heavy on the loud pedal will instruct the trans to shift faster (harder), light on the loud pedal will instruct the trans to shift lazily (slower).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #15
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nope. If I'm correct about the adaptive learning all it "learns" are shift pressures and shift speeds (probably some other parameters also) based on your driving style. Heavy on the loud pedal will instruct the trans to shift faster (harder), light on the loud pedal will instruct the trans to shift lazily (slower).
On the topic of learning, not 2TB stuff, I recall reading how there are two different types of learning.

One is shift points, when to use the different shit programs (how hard to shift) as well as throttle mapping (sensitive or not) which are learned from the driver.

The other is about transmission and fluid condition - clutch pack wear, fluid characteristics, slipping, pressures required etc...

The first kind is an adaptation that is easy to clear. Coding tools do it. There's even a way to do it with the start/stop button and the throttle pedal.

The second kind you don't want to mess with, but I believe ISTA puts the AT into a learning mode after a by-the-book fluid/filter change. You're supposed to drive gently, allowing the transmission to slowly and smoothly go up and down through all gears and other special considerations. I have a PDF somewhere with this stuff in it, I think. Maybe I'll find it.
Appreciate 3
_GW_25.00
      02-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #16
kash001
Rep
Drives: 535i xdrive

I have all of the above and Comfort+, any suggestions on what is the ideal condition to use this mode in?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
Kwood-F10-535i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 535I

Garage List
So I traded my 2013 535i Non 2TB (VO Coded 2TB after) for a 16 535i 2TB from the factory and I can tell you without a doubt there is a firmware difference between the two. shifts on the new one are substantially firmer!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #18
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwood-F10-535i View Post
So I traded my 2013 535i Non 2TB (VO Coded 2TB after) for a 16 535i 2TB from the factory and I can tell you without a doubt there is a firmware difference between the two. shifts on the new one are substantially firmer!
And now we can all just get xHP firmware and get even better. It's on my "spring" project list, but I may not be able to wait.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #19
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

When I turn my shifter to the left, it already shows S1,2,3 and I have the standard shifter. So what does "Sport Auto Trans" do in bimmercode??
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #20
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
When I turn my shifter to the left, it already shows S1,2,3 and I have the standard shifter. So what does "Sport Auto Trans" do in bimmercode??
It adds Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #21
Napas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f11 520d m

Hi
my F11 LCI has
P337A M Sports package
S205A Automatic transmission
S223A Adaptive suspension
S710A M leather steering wheel
S715A M Aerodynamics package

It has confort+ and Sport+ by default.

From what i understood on the thread
Using bimmercode to add Sport Automatic Transmission

Will had zero performance increase
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:07 AM   #22
joeylwd
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M135I BMW 340i LCI

Its my first time here on the forum replying..
but my 340i 2016 lci with from factory no sport transmission. Every other option is there but no sport transmission.

I did place the paddels and the other transmission paddle to the sport one.

Coded sport transmission... but really trust me ITS NOT LIKE ORIGINAL SPORT TRANSMISSION:t humbdown

I have been already for a year searching what te sollution wil be....
But nothing to find... the transmission is 100% exact. my bos is driving an 440i with factory sport transmission and whoo what a difference........

it really gives a DSG shock when shifting manual and also the shifting farts...

Im working at a garage and we do a lot of this cars so i know what im talking about. I also dit a transmission update to latest version but nope. XHP is not making it better. So im at the end... i dont know what to do annymore. More people haveing this isseu? im realy missing the shocks and sounds when shifting......
Appreciate 0