2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Air Condition: Hot One Side/Cold Other

12-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
obiltagi3
V.I.P.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 2011, F10 550i 2015

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i  [9.00]
Air Condition: Hot One Side/Cold Other

Hello everyone,

Due to these recent colder temperatures i have been using the heater in my car.
I recently experienced one side of my AC blowing cold air, while the other side blowing hot air. The knob is on the red (hot) with the temperature set at 84F.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Thank you

2011 535i
BMC - Vorsteiner Exhaust - ER Chargepipe - AR Catless DP - MHD Stage 2 - FMIC
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
m3jonas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiltagi3 View Post
Hello everyone,

Due to these recent colder temperatures i have been using the heater in my car.
I recently experienced one side of my AC blowing cold air, while the other side blowing hot air. The knob is on the red (hot) with the temperature set at 84F.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Thank you

2011 535i
Yes one side is always colder. You can try setting up hottest temperature one side and one degree colder other side. One side is always colder. Every car has that. I don't know why.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #3
JakOG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i MSport

Common problem with these cars as they age.
Usually the heater tap is faulty (heater valve in engine bay)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heater-Cont...-/182387725091
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
obiltagi3
V.I.P.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 2011, F10 550i 2015

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i  [9.00]
I have taken consideration into your answer.
It seems both sides are blowing cold now.

Anyone else experiencing this?
BMC - Vorsteiner Exhaust - ER Chargepipe - AR Catless DP - MHD Stage 2 - FMIC
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
SC300T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3, 540xi, 535ix GT

I had a heater valve stuck open on an E46 in the summer. Allowed hot coolant to run thru the heater core and into the cabin. Made it impossible for the AC to do its job. I've also experienced one side colder than the other (slight) and this was due to a low refrigerant charge on the AC. Have never had one side be downright hot and the other side cold.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
tboar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

A/C Blows Hot on One Side

Hey, I see several folks have had this issue, so I'm going to share my experience with it. My car (F10 550i) started dumping huge amounts of heat into the drivers side footwell, but all the vents and the passenger footwell received cold air. BMW master tech said to have the system recharged, then if it persisted, bring it in. It persisted. I brought it in, ended up paying for 5 hours of diagnostics and a new heater valve. Two days later, the problem was back. Car went back to the dealer and they did a few more things diagnostically, put in new software, gave it back. Problem showed up on the drive home. So what I did was the following...

1. Electrically disconnect the heater valve (you might need to pull the cross brace and driver's side engine air intake to get there). Then I took it for a drive, AC on, set to vents and floor, both sides at 60 deg. Result, both footwells got extremely hot air. This means the valve defaults to the open position.

2. Multimeter time. With AC set to max, the voltage on two of the three pins of the valve connector went to 12V. Obviously, the third then is ground. AC off, heat set to max... Both pins were approximately 9V. Then I tested the valve side of the connector. Both coils measured 22 ohms to ground, and 44 ohms when both are in series. This means there's a signal being sent and there's neither a short or open circuit. In other words, the valves should both respond.

3. Quick control system check. Set one side to 60 and the other to max heat. I got 12V one one pin and 9V on the other. Change which side is set to 60/max heat and the 12V/9V should switch as well. It did.

4. Reconnect the harness to the valves. Set AC to max, check for magnetism on the coil. One had it, one did not. The further rearward one was the one that did not energize. You can generally test coils with a thin piece of metal (like a feeler gauge) by holding it to the top of a coil. If the coil is energized, the metal should be drawn towards it.

Conclusion... Signal is reaching one side of the connector, the coils are electrically fine, yet one valve is not responding. Hence, one pin of the connector isn't connecting. The bad news is that this connector is not commonly available, but can be bought for about $18 from BMW and it solved my problem immediately.

Moral of the story... At the end of the day, you might need someone with a $4000 diagnostic scan tool, or you might not. Underneath all the complex CAN, networks of sensors, actuators, and controllers, there are still basic mechanical components whose issues than can often be diagnosed with simple processes and tools. Check the obvious stuff first!
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Excellent diag work tboar
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #8
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

Excellent diag work tboar

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 12:00 PM   #9
Bursuc1980
Registered
Rep
Drives: F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboar View Post
Hey, I see several folks have had this issue, so I'm going to share my experience with it. My car (F10 550i) started dumping huge amounts of heat into the drivers side footwell, but all the vents and the passenger footwell received cold air. BMW master tech said to have the system recharged, then if it persisted, bring it in. It persisted. I brought it in, ended up paying for 5 hours of diagnostics and a new heater valve. Two days later, the problem was back. Car went back to the dealer and they did a few more things diagnostically, put in new software, gave it back. Problem showed up on the drive home. So what I did was the following...

1. Electrically disconnect the heater valve (you might need to pull the cross brace and driver's side engine air intake to get there). Then I took it for a drive, AC on, set to vents and floor, both sides at 60 deg. Result, both footwells got extremely hot air. This means the valve defaults to the open position.

2. Multimeter time. With AC set to max, the voltage on two of the three pins of the valve connector went to 12V. Obviously, the third then is ground. AC off, heat set to max... Both pins were approximately 9V. Then I tested the valve side of the connector. Both coils measured 22 ohms to ground, and 44 ohms when both are in series. This means there's a signal being sent and there's neither a short or open circuit. In other words, the valves should both respond.

3. Quick control system check. Set one side to 60 and the other to max heat. I got 12V one one pin and 9V on the other. Change which side is set to 60/max heat and the 12V/9V should switch as well. It did.

4. Reconnect the harness to the valves. Set AC to max, check for magnetism on the coil. One had it, one did not. The further rearward one was the one that did not energize. You can generally test coils with a thin piece of metal (like a feeler gauge) by holding it to the top of a coil. If the coil is energized, the metal should be drawn towards it.

Conclusion... Signal is reaching one side of the connector, the coils are electrically fine, yet one valve is not responding. Hence, one pin of the connector isn't connecting. The bad news is that this connector is not commonly available, but can be bought for about $18 from BMW and it solved my problem immediately.

Moral of the story... At the end of the day, you might need someone with a $4000 diagnostic scan tool, or you might not. Underneath all the complex CAN, networks of sensors, actuators, and controllers, there are still basic mechanical components whose issues than can often be diagnosed with simple processes and tools. Check the obvious stuff first!
May i ask for that sensor part number ? Thanks
Appreciate 0