2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications MHD vs Bootmod3 - up/out-dated map tables

07-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
BrandBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix M-sport

Garage List
2011 535ix Msport  [0.00]
1992 850i  [0.00]
MHD vs Bootmod3 - up/out-dated map tables

I am still going back and forth about which one to get. I know that MHD has been updating features of their tune over the past 2 years, but I don't believe seeing any update to the mapping tables. I searched through Facebook and Google for the N55 PWG updates and it seems the same map is being used for the last two years.

Bootmod3 didn't update anything for two years, then earlier this year they updated the maps, in which they and F10 owners here have said gives smoother power delivery. I am stuck with the 172 tune since I am an early 2011 F10 (I believe 172x is for later N55 PWGs - correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not planning to go methanol injected or using E85 on a daily basis. This is my daily. So, I am starting to lean towards bootmod3 since they did update their tables recently.

Am I missing something or has MHD updated their (fuel/timing/boost/vanos, etc.) maps too?
'11 535ix M-Sport - FMIC, CP, BM3 engine & trans, CQuartz Finest Ceramic, Poly tension bushings, Dynamic, Active Roll, Flappy paddles, HUD, Premium(s), Cold, Convenience, 5-cameras, 4-zones, Driver's Assist, Auto high, Hex trim
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Past: '93 525i w/ S38B36 M5 engine/trans swap, '99 540i/6sp Sport, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandBMW View Post
I am still going back and forth about which one to get. I know that MHD has been updating features of their tune over the past 2 years, but I don't believe seeing any update to the mapping tables. I searched through Facebook and Google for the N55 PWG updates and it seems the same map is being used for the last two years.

Bootmod3 didn't update anything for two years, then earlier this year they updated the maps, in which they and F10 owners here have said gives smoother power delivery. I am stuck with the 172 tune since I am an early 2011 F10 (I believe 172x is for later N55 PWGs - correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not planning to go methanol injected or using E85 on a daily basis. This is my daily. So, I am starting to lean towards bootmod3 since they did update their tables recently.

Am I missing something or has MHD updated their (fuel/timing/boost/vanos, etc.) maps too?
Been running Bootmod3 for some time now and am still happy with it.
      07-13-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
Quote:

Been running Bootmod3 for some time now and am still happy with it.
BM3 or nothing
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
BrandBMW
Private
Rep

Garage List
1992 850i  [0.00]
I already ordered the MHD wifi flasher adapter, but I am starting to lean towards bootmod3. I appreciate your feedback.

I remember reading how someone read the tables, comparing bootmod3 and MHD. They said there were more tables in bootmod3. I remember in the older cars when I would read performance chips, there were only two tables, part and full throttle (older throttle sensors had only open or closed signals). So, if there are more tables mapping the power, this could make the tune smoother, better power, and the tune does more of the work to adapt to different factors (intake temp, load, etc) instead of extending the ecu's adaptations.
'11 535ix M-Sport - FMIC, CP, BM3 engine & trans, CQuartz Finest Ceramic, Poly tension bushings, Dynamic, Active Roll, Flappy paddles, HUD, Premium(s), Cold, Convenience, 5-cameras, 4-zones, Driver's Assist, Auto high, Hex trim
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
I already ordered the MHD wifi flasher adapter, but I am starting to lean towards bootmod3. I appreciate your feedback.

I remember reading how someone read the tables, comparing bootmod3 and MHD. They said there were more tables in bootmod3. I remember in the older cars when I would read performance chips, there were only two tables, part and full throttle (older throttle sensors had only open or closed signals). So, if there are more tables mapping the power, this could make the tune smoother, better power, and the tune does more of the work to adapt to different factors (intake temp, load, etc) instead of extending the ecu's adaptations.
Bm3 has the free trans flash, not sure on mhd
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
BrandBMW
Private
Rep

Garage List
1992 850i  [0.00]
An update. I went with Bootmod3 and don't regret it one bit. I built my own wifi agent finding the instructions online. Tons of power and a newer Coyote engined Mustang got surprised on the highway (in Mexico) that he could not pull away from me. Only limiting factor was the PWG turbo upper end and shifting at 6k rpm.

What I liked with the BM3 is I recently did all the stage 0 prep within the last 5k miles, coils, plugs, charge pipe, filters, trans filter/fluid, turbo control valve (solenoid), water pump & T-stat, rear guibo, diff bushing, and switched to LiquiMoly 0W-40 engine oil. I was able to first load the MPPK tune to ensure everything worked well without any codes or drivability issues. After a day and some shake down tests, I went to Stage 1 and the trans tune. The transmission shifts much better and I don't notice the gears changing.

Then two weeks later I installed the ebay FMIC and I did the same thing using MPPK first, then Stage 1, checking for any boost leaks with logs.

Of course, now that I know what this engine can do, for my daily driver I am thinking of a Pure Stage 1 upgrade and with my early N55 HPFP shared with the N54, it should make some good power in all rpms and maintain the same drivability around town. And so the bug continues to bite.
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Does BM3 have linear acceleration? Work with XHP?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
BrandBMW
Private
Rep

Garage List
1992 850i  [0.00]
It depends on what you are defining for linear?

Power application: It has a smooth power delivery and the logs confirm it. In lower load scenarios, it behaves like stock. In the upper RPMs, it's still smooth, but the turbo is limiting the power.

Pedal: if you are talking about the pedal input, where you can adjust the pedal to throttle body, it does not have the option to be linear. In my Comfort setting, the throttle opening ratio is slower which is good. In Sport mode, the ratio is faster, yet still smooth. It works very well.

Many people use bootmod3 with XHP. For my purposes and goals, today, the bootmod3 trans tune is very good increasing line pressure, removing torque limiters, and shifting faster yet staying smooth. The downshifts were harder with the stock trans software. Bonus is this trans tune comes with the OTS bundle.
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
It depends on what you are defining for linear?

Power application: It has a smooth power delivery and the logs confirm it. In lower load scenarios, it behaves like stock. In the upper RPMs, it's still smooth, but the turbo is limiting the power.

Pedal: if you are talking about the pedal input, where you can adjust the pedal to throttle body, it does not have the option to be linear. In my Comfort setting, the throttle opening ratio is slower which is good. In Sport mode, the ratio is faster, yet still smooth. It works very well.

Many people use bootmod3 with XHP. For my purposes and goals, today, the bootmod3 trans tune is very good increasing line pressure, removing torque limiters, and shifting faster yet staying smooth. The downshifts were harder with the stock trans software. Bonus is this trans tune comes with the OTS bundle.
Yeah was referring to the pedal input adjustment that MHD does.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #10
88atlas07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

Had BM3 for about a year, was at first happy with it but then started noticing drive-ability issues. Going from partial throttle to off it would sometimes judder, almost as though the fuel cut wasn't immediate. Took the car on a road trip to pikes peak, flashed to the 91OCT tune to cope with their fuel grade and elevation and the car didn't like it, would stumble and miss occasionally at full throttle.

I've since flashed to MHD and none of the issues I had with drive ability are present. The initial decel when letting off the throttle is more pronounced, similar to how the car is stock which solved the decel juddering issue.

Performance is very similar, but personally MHD feels more refined. Will be trying out MHDs PS2 map in the next 2 or 3 weeks when I throw the bigger turbo on.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
BrandBMW
Private
Rep

Garage List
1992 850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88atlas07 View Post
Had BM3 for about a year, was at first happy with it but then started noticing drive-ability issues. Going from partial throttle to off it would sometimes judder, almost as though the fuel cut wasn't immediate. Took the car on a road trip to pikes peak, flashed to the 91OCT tune to cope with their fuel grade and elevation and the car didn't like it, would stumble and miss occasionally at full throttle.

I've since flashed to MHD and none of the issues I had with drive ability are present. The initial decel when letting off the throttle is more pronounced, similar to how the car is stock which solved the decel juddering issue.

Performance is very similar, but personally MHD feels more refined. Will be trying out MHDs PS2 map in the next 2 or 3 weeks when I throw the bigger turbo on.
Good info, but weird that you had problems a year after since it is software. Perhaps double check your hardware components before the PS2 upgrade. Today, I am happy with BM3 and they updated the load tables in January. I also ensured my associated engine components were all replaced right before.

What Stage were you running and how many miles on your engine?
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #12
88atlas07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

Quote:
Good info, but weird that you had problems a year after since it is software. Perhaps double check your hardware components before the PS2 upgrade. Today, I am happy with BM3 and they updated the load tables in January. I also ensured my associated engine components were all replaced right before.

What Stage were you running and how many miles on your engine?
The drive-ability issues were there from the start but I figured it was part of the beast and never bothered with it until I took it to pikes peak where the issue became really apparent courtesy of elevation. Car is a 95% highway car so for the rare instance that I would get on it, it didn't bother me enough to chase down the issue as light throttle applications as well as wide open throttle runs were generally fine, it was the low rpm high load instances that caused issues. Talked to Dzenan of BM3 and he sent some updated maps but nothing improved it.

Tried all the stages available, and all had the same issue. Started off with Stg 2 93 Oct, 91 Oct, then down to stage 1 etc. Only tune that didn't do it was the M2 tune, which was the first clue it was tune related. Currently on MHD Stg 2+ 93 Oct and its as smooth as stock, but with more power. Ill really put it to the test once the PS2 goes on...

Car has been proactively maintained by myself and currently sits at 78k miles

oil changes every 4k miles since I got it at 27k miles (I know, I know...overkill)
one step colder NGK plugs every 20k
ignition coils changed at 50k
Trans fluid and filter done at 50k and again at 70k and the list goes on.

**Not bashing BM3, I think they make a good product overall and are quick to reply to customer inquiry's, just wasn't a good match for my car for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

I have both. BM3 and MHD. MHD by far!!
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #14
BrandBMW
Private
Rep

Garage List
1992 850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime456 View Post
I have both. BM3 and MHD. MHD by far!!
Reasons why? Could you elaborate? Thanks
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #15
$howtime456
Major
Rep

more up to date tables. Bluetooth. Faster map flashing. More options on the OTS. Top tuners are using MHD
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #16
BrandBMW
Private
Rep

Garage List
1992 850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime456 View Post
more up to date tables. Bluetooth. Faster map flashing. More options on the OTS. Top tuners are using MHD
Hmm. For my early N55, MHD was less up to date than Bootmod3 at the time of purchase, thus what I wrote in the first post of this thread. Personally, I don't like tuning via any wireless method, so to reduce the risk of bricking the ECM. Bootmod3 is pretty fast when I tether (USB) the wifi agent module to my phone. I haven't yet tried the new beta of bootmod3 using only an ethernet adapter to cell phone. Top tuners are also using Bootmod3. However, I do have an MHD Flasher for use of the updated OBDII wireless adapter requirements of Bimmercode and if I do choose to use xHP.

Overall, I am very happy using Bootmod3 for a stage 1 93oct and the logs show it runs great on my engine. I again really like the M Performance Power Kit (MPPK) OTS option so I can check/log how my engine (and its components) respond to a modest increase in boost before going Stage 1 or 2 and to check/log after doing an upgrade, like the FMIC.

I do plan a Stage1 Pure Turbo upgrade sometime in the future and will go custom tune. Again, my early N55 does not have as many updates or tuning options.
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #17
$howtime456
Major
Rep

Top tuners out there are D. Shoup, wedge, and Doc Vu who all use MHD. Kevin Baldi is the only one i know who tunes the shit out of n55s on BM3. I had Cary Jordan on BM3 and he was great. But by far hands down David Shoup. Ive flashed over 70x with MHD and also XHP since i got the bluetooth. Everything went smooth. No bricking.

I do plan a Stage1 Pure Turbo upgrade sometime in the future and will go custom tune. Again, my early N55 does not have as many updates or tuning options.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #18
BrandBMW
Private
Rep

Garage List
1992 850i  [0.00]
Thanks for explaining that for custom tunes.

For OTS maps with how this thread started, Bootmod3 has done very well and is more up to date in their tables with the early N55s.
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
An update. I went with Bootmod3 and don't regret it one bit. I built my own wifi agent finding the instructions online. Tons of power and a newer Coyote engined Mustang got surprised on the highway (in Mexico) that he could not pull away from me. Only limiting factor was the PWG turbo upper end and shifting at 6k rpm.

What I liked with the BM3 is I recently did all the stage 0 prep within the last 5k miles, coils, plugs, charge pipe, filters, trans filter/fluid, turbo control valve (solenoid), water pump & T-stat, rear guibo, diff bushing, and switched to LiquiMoly 0W-40 engine oil. I was able to first load the MPPK tune to ensure everything worked well without any codes or drivability issues. After a day and some shake down tests, I went to Stage 1 and the trans tune. The transmission shifts much better and I don't notice the gears changing.

Then two weeks later I installed the ebay FMIC and I did the same thing using MPPK first, then Stage 1, checking for any boost leaks with logs.

Of course, now that I know what this engine can do, for my daily driver I am thinking of a Pure Stage 1 upgrade and with my early N55 HPFP shared with the N54, it should make some good power in all rpms and maintain the same drivability around town. And so the bug continues to bite.
Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0