2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications M Performance Exhaust Tips

09-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
M Performance Exhaust Tips

I have an MPE and genuine CF tips on the way for my 535i and had originally thought of using the CF tips year round. I now realize they'll probably get ruined in the winter months with the amount of snow/salt on the roads here so I'm thinking of using cheaper tips for winter months, then swapping them in the warmer months. I wanted to know the size of the tips the MPE uses so I can pick up an aftermarket set from eBay. Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I change my MPE tips out for winter too. I substitute them for the entire factory mufflers for the winter season. It's part of my seasonal swap over.

With all the windows closed, I find my MPE drones enough to just be annoying when it's always cold and you can't open the windows to hear any of the good sounds. I just swap the whole thing over and be done with it.

All that being said - there are two part numbers for MPE that fit this car. The version I have was only produced for one year and then replaced with the "current" part number. I have yet to find any difference documented between the two, other than the current version is intended to sell tips in various styles a la carte.

There are other threads documenting how the MPE for the 2,3,4 series cars is different in EU, versus Canada versus the USA, and this is more well known. The EU and Canada spec MPE is almost indistinguishable from stock while the USA version is clearly louder and more "open". This angers lots of non-US owners who purchase based on US YouTube videos. I don't know if this scenario plays into what's going on for me too. There's rather low volume for MPEs for 5 series.

At any rate - mine is quite "open", definitely different than stock, and has displeasing drone at times. I have read accounts from others who installed an MPE on their F10 535 and could barely tell from stock, and their wife couldn't tell and fell asleep during the first drive. Not my experience at all.

I'll be curious about your impressions of the current model when you install it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I change my MPE tips out for winter too. I substitute them for the entire factory mufflers for the winter season. It's part of my seasonal swap over.

With all the windows closed, I find my MPE drones enough to just be annoying when it's always cold and you can't open the windows to hear any of the good sounds. I just swap the whole thing over and be done with it.

All that being said - there are two part numbers for MPE that fit this car. The version I have was only produced for one year and then replaced with the "current" part number. I have yet to find any difference documented between the two, other than the current version is intended to sell tips in various styles a la carte.

There are other threads documenting how the MPE for the 2,3,4 series cars is different in EU, versus Canada versus the USA, and this is more well known. The EU and Canada spec MPE is almost indistinguishable from stock while the USA version is clearly louder and more "open". This angers lots of non-US owners who purchase based on US YouTube videos. I don't know if this scenario plays into what's going on for me too. There's rather low volume for MPEs for 5 series.

At any rate - mine is quite "open", definitely different than stock, and has displeasing drone at times. I have read accounts from others who installed an MPE on their F10 535 and could barely tell from stock, and their wife couldn't tell and fell asleep during the first drive. Not my experience at all.

I'll be curious about your impressions of the current model when you install it.
I thought about swapping the entire thing over as well, but figured I'd see how it feels like with just the tips.

Interesting thoughts you've shared however, I've been reading a lot about the supposed drone on the MPE and I too have only found conflicting reports. For what it's worth, I ordered the MPE from my local dealership and the part number ends with 362 which presumably is the "newer" style.

I installed the MPE on my E90 328i close to five years ago and that does not drone. It's why I opted to go for the MPE once again for the F10. I'm not looking for something too overly aggressive, the MPE seemed to hit the sweet spot. Plus, my vehicle has the MPPK which from what I've read offers a little more noise.

I will definitely share my views once the MPE is installed and broken in a little. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
Interesting thoughts you've shared however, I've been reading a lot about the supposed drone on the MPE and I too have only found conflicting reports. For what it's worth, I ordered the MPE from my local dealership and the part number ends with 362 which presumably is the "newer" style.
My MPE is p/n 18-30-2-293-447 with single wall polished SS tips.

I've seen all kinds of drone reports too. No drone, lots of drone, Dinan drones less, no Dinan drones more and MPE cured it. All over the map. With so many different experiences either QA is poor or there are different part numbers out there, and so many owners don't seem to have their part number in order to compare. ("I don't know, but I bought it 3 years ago" doesn't really narrow it down).

Might post pics if that ends up being the "next thing to do". Looking forward to your comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #5
jlc45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i 6MT

Interesting conversation. Thanks for posting, keep it going!
I am thinking of getting a '16 535iX with M sport, in the coming spring, so I'm just monitoring the info here. Currently I have a 135i 6 MT.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
My MPE is p/n 18-30-2-293-447 with single wall polished SS tips.

I've seen all kinds of drone reports too. No drone, lots of drone, Dinan drones less, no Dinan drones more and MPE cured it. All over the map. With so many different experiences either QA is poor or there are different part numbers out there, and so many owners don't seem to have their part number in order to compare. ("I don't know, but I bought it 3 years ago" doesn't really narrow it down).

Might post pics if that ends up being the "next thing to do". Looking forward to your comments.
If the car is catless, MPE will drone more than Dinan. MPE exhaust is smaller and lighter than Dinan. That is why MPE is little louder than Dinan.
Appreciate 0