2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum weird popping noise from front wheels ? Help

06-05-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

weird popping noise from front wheels ? Help

Hi there,

I've had my F10 nearly 8 months and it's been great done over 40k in it its services etc all up to date. I've only had rear tyres done.

Here is my issue the car is getting this weird sensation when on any road even smooth usually when it's warm of the tyres popping on the front you can feel the abnormal sort of noise however if you open a window you can't really here anything. It doesn't happen when your stationary and it can happen when your not turning the steering wheel.

It's not loud it's the sort of noise and feeling you get if your going over a particularly stoney car park.

The front tyres are Continental conti sport tyres run flats and I don't know whether they're faulty. I've checked them to see if anything is stuck in them and I've found nothing.

This furthermore gets weird as I came back from holiday on Sunday after 2 weeks of having the car stationary. It's done it everyday and it starts doing it when it gets hot on the ground.

Any ideas this is bizarre to me and I don't think it's the car I think it's the tyres but can't fault them and don't wanna pay BMW to tell me yeah it's the tyres

I am good with cars and not a dummy I've checked the steering rack, suspension seats and coils also underside of car, anything rubbing on wheels. It's worth mentioning this car does have adaptive dampers. However it does it on smooth services so I don't think it's the dampers or suspension

Maybe something simple!!

help please
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Tires don't make popping noise unless it's literally popping. Then you would absolutely know because you'll lose pressure and your car TPMS would warn you.

The highest possibility is your bearings. It can make weird sounds whether you're turning or not. Hard to pin down at first because it does a wide range of weird things and noise depending on where it breaks in the bearings. But the common symptoms are that it gets noisier with speed. When it gets really bad, it sounds like it's grinding and your handling becomes unstable. You can check if it's your bearing by jacking it up and shaking the wheel to see if it gives.

FYI - My '99 528i lost a bearing at 60k, 75k, 95k and 100k. Even after I detected it, the car is still driveable for hundreds of miles.

There are other things I've experienced that can cause weird noises too like bushings, broken shocks/struts, something rubbing inconsistently, broken axles, etc...

The point is, if your tire is causing popping noise then whatever is causing it will probably be visible. It's probably not the tire if you inspect the tire and it's perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
Tires don't make popping noise unless it's literally popping. Then you would absolutely know because you'll lose pressure and your car TPMS would warn you.

The highest possibility is your bearings. It can make weird sounds whether you're turning or not. Hard to pin down at first because it does a wide range of weird things and noise depending on where it breaks in the bearings. But the common symptoms are that it gets noisier with speed. When it gets really bad, it sounds like it's grinding and your handling becomes unstable. You can check if it's your bearing by jacking it up and shaking the wheel to see if it gives.

FYI - My '99 528i lost a bearing at 60k, 75k, 95k and 100k. Even after I detected it, the car is still driveable for hundreds of miles.

There are other things I've experienced that can cause weird noises too like bushings, broken shocks/struts, something rubbing inconsistently, broken axles, etc...

The point is, if your tire is causing popping noise then whatever is causing it will probably be visible. It's probably not the tire if you inspect the tire and it's perfectly fine.
I found on another forum a guy that had the same problem with a one series.

it's not a pop it's like a sound and feeling of when you get a stone caught in the tyre. there's no noise atall at speed when you turn just when your going really slow between 0-15mph.

Guy on the other forum was on about wear indicators on tyres doing it. My tyres are worn but there still legal just on the side. I'm gonna check the pressures.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke View Post
I found on another forum a guy that had the same problem with a one series.

My tyres are worn but there still legal just on the side.
It sounds like you need new tires very soon. I'm not sure what you mean by "just on the side". But either way, you either need an alignment or you went too long with over-inflated tires.

If new tires and alignment doesn't fix it, then it's most likely your bearings, then bushing, then suspension.

Just do youtube search on how to test each problem and start eliminating each possibility.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

I would check sway bar links. Might not be exactly the same kind of noise you're describing, but I had to replace one and was just around the mileage your car is. Not sure that might be what you're hearing, but worth checking out.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34
I would check sway bar links. Might not be exactly the same kind of noise you're describing, but I had to replace one and was just around the mileage your car is. Not sure that might be what you're hearing, but worth checking out.
it's at 95000. On both sides? is there anyway of checking?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
it's at 95000. On both sides? is there anyway of checking?
Oh, 95000, mine was around 60K km, sorry, not sure where I saw 40K miles , must've been some other thread. Also, for mine, I could only hear this, more of a clunking noise at very low speeds, nothing above 40-50km/hr.

Someone more handy might be able to tell you how to check it, I wouldn't know. The guy at the dealership knew immediately what the noise was the moment he's heard it on the test drive with me. Oh, and mine was replaced under warranty (only one side, I would think they'd do both, but, that's what they decided to do).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
Lieutenant
Rep

Lol 95k is around the time bearings start failing. Every single car I've had needs front 2 bearings replaced at ~100k. It got to the point where I just buy 2 and replace them both at the same time along with my rotors and brake pads. It's a pretty easy job. Just a little harder and longer than replacing rotors.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
Lol 95k is around the time bearings start failing. Every single car I've had needs front 2 bearings replaced at ~100k. It got to the point where I just buy 2 and replace them both at the same time along with my rotors and brake pads. It's a pretty easy job. Just a little harder and longer than replacing rotors.
I'm gonna have to turn it under warranty then. I've got a warranty with warranty direct which covers wear and tear parts BMW deal with them very efficiently aswell I never have to pay anything. I would do it myself but at £130 each for a bearing no thanks. I could get a full set off discs for that.

The only thing that concerns me is why does it not do it consistently ? surely if it was a bearing it would be all the time. It's not it's just when it gets hot in terms of air and ground temp. In the morning it's absolutely fine so odd. that's what I can't get my head around if its bearings
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
Lieutenant
Rep

All I can say is broken bearings make all kinds of weird noises. You can do a quick search and find people having these problems all the time. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ng-else/page2&

But do find out and come back to this thread to inform us. A lot of F10 owners will be interested to know in the future. There's a lot of us passing our warranty and extended warranty periods already.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

All tyre pressures were 35 they were meant to be 51. It's not doing it since I've put air in the tyres. The TMPS is rubbish and works on a speed sensor. Even my Passat had transponders in the valve. So the f10 won't detect gradual loss in pressures.

obviously what was happening was when the tyre was contracting under heat it was compromising slightly causing this sensation, if I had kept letting it go down it would have eventually done it all the time no doubt.

Anyway I'm glad it wasn't a bearing at £150 just for the bearing!!! it cost me 50p for the air bargain
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
+1 wheel bearings
To stress a bearing further try and turn the wheels all the to the left and right while on a uphill incline or downhill decline and while the car is parked. Listen for the sound.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #13
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
+1 wheel bearings
To stress a bearing further try and turn the wheels all the to the left and right while on a uphill incline or downhill decline and while the car is parked. Listen for the sound.
It's not the bearings I spoke to BMW and they said if it was the wheel bearing you would notice it more and more the faster you go. Also it would do it all the time and not intermittently. I've been driving all day and since inflating my tyres I've had no problems so fingers crossed.

I'll check what you've said though just as I matter of ruling everything out.

it seems to make sense that it's tyres as it would only do it when it got hot on the ground. I'm not just talking about long drives when the car gets hot. It was a combination of both, rubber as we all no expands and contracts between temperatures. it would be logical that this doing would stimulate the sensation I had from the tyre naturally as it was nearly half inflated.

to put it logically if it wasn't a run flat, and the tyre was at that low inflation I can imagine it doing exactly the same thing. It wasn't a knock or popping noise and there's no free play in the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
+1 wheel bearings
It's not the bearings I spoke to BMW and they said if it was the wheel bearing you would notice it more and more the faster you go. Also it would do it all the time and not intermittently. I've been driving all day and since inflating my tyres I've had no problems so fingers crossed.

I'll check what you've said though just as I matter of ruling everything out.

it seems to make sense that it's tyres as it would only do it when it got hot on the ground. I'm not just talking about long drives when the car gets hot. It was a combination of both, rubber as we all no expands and contracts between temperatures. it would be logical that this doing would stimulate the sensation I had from the tyre naturally as it was nearly half inflated.

to put it logically if it wasn't a run flat, and the tyre was at that low inflation I can imagine it doing exactly the same thing. It wasn't a knock or popping noise and there's no free play in the wheel.
Nothing worse than a mystery problem. Glad it's not as severe as a wheel bearing as that could domino quickly.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #15
camnhoj
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 520d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
All tyre pressures were 35 they were meant to be 51. It's not doing it since I've put air in the tyres. The TMPS is rubbish and works on a speed sensor. Even my Passat had transponders in the valve. So the f10 won't detect gradual loss in pressures.

obviously what was happening was when the tyre was contracting under heat it was compromising slightly causing this sensation, if I had kept letting it go down it would have eventually done it all the time no doubt.

Anyway I'm glad it wasn't a bearing at £150 just for the bearing!!! it cost me 50p for the air bargain
Eh 51 psi ??????
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 03:18 AM   #16
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I can easily tell when my tyre pressures are low on my run flats as the ride quality changes considerably, especially on poor road surfaces...
Appreciate 0