2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum camera system issues

05-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

camera system issues

Hi all. I have been facing an intermittent issue with my camera system. I have the surround and rear view camera system in my F11 and from time to time I will get an error message in either. For example, every once in a while one of the cameras on the side of the car will not work (resulting on the warning message) and will not work for a couple of days. Then all of a sudden it will start working again. Another type of problem appears on the rear view camera. Most of the time it will work properly, I can see everything all right, including the red and green lines you can chose an a option to show you where the car will go if you continue reversing. Then some other times one of the red lines will not be there, and I will get the error message. any idea if this is a software issue that I can sort out somehow, or it might be a hardware problem? I do not want to take it to BMW and be charged a huge amount of money for diagnostics on something that might be quite straight forward to sort out. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is there a way to 'reset/reboot' the system and see if this sorts it out? Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

I have experienced the same issue but only with the surround view. It was acting up for a few weeks where one side camera would not function.
My problem was a low battery. As the battery was recharged from a longer drive the cameras would all work and then as the battery discharged one of the cameras would turn off(presumably to conserve power for future starts). This occurred in January so I put the car on my charger and recharged the battery.
Since then I haven't had any issues.
Your problem is probably related to software issues but you might try a battery recharge first. Just a thought.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

i had an issue with my bumper camera on the right. when I put the M sport bumper on the front I cleaned the contacts and it helped a lot. I get an error from time to time, but mostly after i wash the car. I may have a small leak in the cam connections somewhere. My mechanic friend at the dealer told me they can do that from time time.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. I was hoping you were going to say something like that. Yes, one of the cameras on the surround view will turn off (sometimes it is the right, other times is the left) and I will get the error. I will take the car for a long drive and see if this makes any difference. Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
WhiteWalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had the same issues and it was all battery related!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007mead View Post
I had the same issues and it was all battery related!
Thanks for that. I drove 55 miles and back but the error was still there. Maybe the car needs time to 'realize' there has been a long drive, I do not know. I hope it is not something that will cost me loads.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
WhiteWalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a 550 and under the recent customer care package I had the larger capacity batter installed.

Within a week, mid-drive, my car cycled through ever conceivable error you can imagine. Headlights to all wheel drive and transmission errors, one after another. My car went into limp mode and the idrive screen eventually went solid orange and unusable.

I pulled of the road and turned of the car. The car did not restart. I was a sitting duck until a local State Farm "road ranger" came. I told him to give me a jump, the car restarted with no errors and I drove straight to the dealership.

Once before, and only a few weeks prior my car did this but before it went to far I turned off the car. I was in a parking lot.

The car restarted with no errors and the above was the next time after.

I kept my car on a nice trickle charger because the new battery, like its predecessor was lasting about 3-4 days then would give me the discharge error. I charged the car it went away.

Tuned out, the car needed a new alternator the entire time!

Since the replacement was installed, the car has been back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After the long drive the error disappeared. Then after a couple of journeys where heavy traffic forced me to drive low mph the 'camera system fault' came back. I need to state here that I have not had any warnings about the battery, just the camera system warning. I do not know what to think...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
mgattmch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650iX GC

After my N63 CCP and reprograming I kept getting error messages about the cameras, even though they were working fine. Turns out the dealership "fried" an ECM after doing the original work. They then fixed the problem, under warranty and everything is fine now. However, the diagnosis apparently took a lot of time between the dealership Technician and BMW Germany to resolve.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgattmch View Post
After my N63 CCP and reprograming I kept getting error messages about the cameras, even though they were working fine. Turns out the dealership "fried" an ECM after doing the original work. They then fixed the problem, under warranty and everything is fine now. However, the diagnosis apparently took a lot of time between the dealership Technician and BMW Germany to resolve.
That sounds bad. I hope this is not what happened to my car....
Appreciate 0