2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Need Advice re Pirelli P0's

03-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
bmwombat
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013

Garage List
Need Advice re Pirelli P0's

Hi all,

MY brand new car (1650 kms) has developed a huge bubble on the driver's side front tyre (Dunlop RFLs of course) - I have no recollection of hitting that tyre on anything. Because the car is so new & this is apparently a new variant of this RFL,there is no replacement stock in the country & there won't be for at least 6 weeks. I can't wait that long as I have a major road trip planned in 5 weeks time & need reliable tyres for it. BMW have quoted me $A990 for a replacement when it becomes available - the usual highway robbery!!!

Irrespective of whether or not the tyre manufacturer agrees it's a warranty fault (& knowing my luck it won't be) I am still up to replace the faulty tyre &, because i can't get the same tyre I really need to replace both front tyres so I have matching rubber on the front - so I'm up for around $A1,000 to do that anyway.

At this stage I need to make a quick decision & thus keeping my stock 351M rims is my plan - I'd like to use Michelin PSS's but they don't make them in a 245/40/19; next choice was a PS3 but they don't make a 275/35/19 for the rear (assuming I later decided to totally ditch the RFLs [which I'd like to do]).

So the next best bet in a Pilot Sport is the PS2 which makes those size tyres for both front & rear.

So my question is - does anyone have any advice, war stories about Michelin PS2's - good, bad, indifferent?

[*****************UPDATE*********************]
Since I wrote the above the following has happened...
I have now confirmed that Michelin do not import ANY tyre combo into OZ that suits my ride (apart from their Primacy RFL - which I obviously don't want). It Turns out that since I put this 1st post up I've found out I was mislead re the PS2s as well - I can't get a matching set of them either...bugga!

Yes guys I know I can get the PSSs from the US & I may just have to end up importing them myself but I need a short term fix as well in order to do my road trip.

Now thinking of Pirelli's P0 - any thoughts?

Last edited by bmwombat; 03-26-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Jet in Oz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535D

Hi Wombat. That's a bit of a pisser to have happened , partiularly so close to a major road trip. If it's a brand new car with only 1650 klms on it then BMW have to allow you to do a warranty claim on that, surely? They are smart enough to gauge whether you have hit something, particularly if there is no rim damage as that's a dead giveaway.

Besides, they will often have a spare set of OEM rims in the used car or service division after they have upgraded the looks of a used vehicle with say a set of new 20" rims so why can't they help you out with a set of loan tyres until the warranty issue is investigated. These tyres often sit there for months so it might be worth asking. Beats paying full tilt for a set when you may get the tyre manufacturer coming to the party on the warranty.
E36 328 Convertible - Montreal Blue

Last edited by Jet in Oz; 05-10-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

My 5 series came with the Michelin run flats have to say apart from the fact the usual run flat tyre crap ride they have been faultless. I am just about to the pull the trigger on some 21 inch wheels as the 19s are just way too small.
Appreciate 0