2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media help me pick or design my garage flooring with RaceDeck!

07-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Talking help me pick or design my garage flooring with RaceDeck!

Hey guys and gals! so i'm in the middle of trying to get a design idea of how I want my garage flooring to be. here's a few designs I came up with and maybe you guys have something better to suggest. my garage is 37'x23. the right side tho dips down about 4' but still retains the 23' depth.

LED lighting I installed to brighten the garage up!

I have the Husky all black garage system coming in which will be 243" across the back wall along with my 56" HF upper/lower toolbox with side cabinet and locker which comes to 86.5" wide. so I had ideas of incorporating blue in the tile scheme but also thought maybe keep in simple and leave it without the blue. walls will be a medium gray like my interior and ceiling will remain flat white. with the tool cabinet and the garage system I will have less than 5" of space on both sides on that back wall

here's the medium gray i'm referring to

here's somewhat of a few inspirations

here's my ideas without the blue theme

1) black border with alloy fill

2) black border with graphite fill

and here's the variation with the blue scheme

3) black borders, blue/graphite fill

4) black borders, blue/alloy fill

5) black borders, blue fill

6) black borders, blue outline, graphite fill

7) black borders, blue outline, alloy fill

8) black border, alloy outline, blue fill

9) black border, graphite outline, blue fill

10) thinner black border, blue outline, alloy/graphite checker

alright guys and gals...what do you think? any suggestions? I really appreciate your input as i'll probably be ordering the tile some time this month once I decide the route I choose
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Wow. Amazing garage space, and your finished garage will be a show piece. I concur with the idea of keeping blue out of the floor design. To me, it's just too much. I like the alloy / graphite checker design you have in Pic #10, so I'd do that without the blue inner border. Whatever you pick will be stunning!

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
Wow. Amazing garage space, and your finished garage will be a show piece. I concur with the idea of keeping blue out of the floor design. To me, it's just too much. I like the alloy / graphite checker design you have in Pic #10, so I'd do that without the blue inner border. Whatever you pick will be stunning!

Good luck.
thank you! that's why I made some remarks regarding the blue. I like it and I don't like it. so here's what you suggested and I really like it!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

or maybe thinner black borders and bigger graphite/alloy checkers?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Hmmm .... I'm leaning towards the smaller checks and the thicker border. My reasoning is this: the larger checks say, look at me, which is not what I would want to focus on. The smaller checks provide a more even background type of texture that is noticeable but not in your face. With the border, I think that thicker provides more contrast to the edges of your space and is less about the checks, once again. So, my vote is on your first photo.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I would do an epoxy or similar coating. If something gets under the tiles you need to remove them to clean it up.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I would do an epoxy or similar coating. If something gets under the tiles you need to remove them to clean it up.
I would take it one step further: epoxy coating under the tiles. Yes, if you get something under the tiles, then you have to clean it up, but with epoxy, it's easier to clean than if its on concrete (unless the concrete is already well sealed).
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Pure aesthetics the Racedeck or Swisstrax is gonna look nicer. I already have the grey epoxy with sprinkles of black/white so I'm looking for something that pops! I'm looking at thos as if it's another room in the house that I may end up using one of the bays as a lounge with couches and a big TV on the wall
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #9
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I'm looking at thos as if it's another room in the house that I may end up using one of the bays as a lounge with couches and a big TV on the wall
Man cave!! I'm building mine as we speak, but it's more of a man cubby. My wife gets the large portion of our useable space for her quilting studio. Still, got the large TV, kicking stereo for the tunes & surround sound for the TV, and my wet bar is nearly complete. Gotta have a man cave!
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
DRKNEVL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M Sport, 2015 X5 35i

I like number 10 the best with just a splash of color. For most of your designs you have the lighter color variants on the inside rectangles... I would consider some options where you flip the lighter colors to the outside and have the darker colors on the inside. This way if you have spills or leaks they will not be as noticeable.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #11
DRKNEVL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M Sport, 2015 X5 35i

Also #GarageGoals! I live in SoCal and I sooooo badly want a three or four car garage one day. Looks clean so far!
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Got some sample pieces from RaceDeck and American Floor Mats. The American samples almost look identical to the RaceDeck. Just look at the Made in USA logo. What do you think?

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #13
Kracker DC5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi & a lil 4 cylinder

Nice problem to have

My thoughts (lol, take it for what its not worth), but before investing that much into the flooring, I would seriously consider looking into polishing and sealing. Not talking about the epoxy kit from HD, but professionally polished and sealed (there are several sealing options, anti slip, densifying, etc.).

I just imagine on the PITA it would be if you spill coolant or brake/diff fluid in those slats and then having to pull the squares up to clean it all up...I guess thats how that would work.

Bout $3/ft to have it polished and sealed.
      09-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracker DC5 View Post
Nice problem to have

My thoughts (lol, take it for what its not worth), but before investing that much into the flooring, I would seriously consider looking into polishing and sealing. Not talking about the epoxy kit from HD, but professionally polished and sealed (there are several sealing options, anti slip, densifying, etc.).

I just imagine on the PITA it would be if you spill coolant or brake/diff fluid in those slats and then having to pull the squares up to clean it all up...I guess thats how that would work.

Bout $3/ft to have it polished and sealed.

Totally agree with this.

the race deck stuff is great, but when shit falls thru then it can gather underneath...etc etc...so you can never get it 100% clean.

with the epoxy coatings its alot easier to clean up completely...

the HD/LOWES/Sherwin Williams stuff is shit...

Find a company that will GRIND the concrete floor and then apply the epoxy. it sticks better, i have yet to do this. but my neighbor had it done and it looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Lol I don't care much for the Epoxy flooring. Quite a few of my neighbors have them and all disappointed for the fact they now have a 3 bay ice skating rink. Two of them have fallen while my 3rd neighbor hasn't had any issues but he does like how my flooring looks just from how it looks from the driveway walking into the garage. Their epoxy flooring was all professionally done. Looks great but from a pure aesthetics it just doesn't do it for me. I had them come over just to show what was done so far and they love how it looks. I cannot comment as far as spilling stuff since I haven't had that problem. Even than I don't plan on doing oil changes or any fluid maintenance. I designed this garage with the intent of looking like a showroom. I want this garage to be an extension of the house...a lounge
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #16
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
Totally agree with this.

the race deck stuff is great, but when shit falls thru then it can gather underneath...etc etc...so you can never get it 100% clean.

with the epoxy coatings its alot easier to clean up completely...

the HD/LOWES/Sherwin Williams stuff is shit...

Find a company that will GRIND the concrete floor and then apply the epoxy. it sticks better, i have yet to do this. but my neighbor had it done and it looks awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Lol I don't care much for the Epoxy flooring. Quite a few of my neighbors have them and all disappointed for the fact they now have a 3 bay ice skating rink. Two of them have fallen while my 3rd neighbor hasn't had any issues but he does like how my flooring looks just from how it looks from the driveway walking into the garage. Their epoxy flooring was all professionally done. Looks great but from a pure aesthetics it just doesn't do it for me. I had them come over just to show what was done so far and they love how it looks. I cannot comment as far as spilling stuff since I haven't had that problem. Even than I don't plan on doing oil changes or any fluid maintenance. I designed this garage with the intent of looking like a showroom. I want this garage to be an extension of the house...a lounge
I think that's why I'm stuck between RaceDeck or getting the garage epoxy'ed. I like the look of RaceDeck but I also do my oil changes at home so the spillage factor is wasn't keeping me away from RaceDeck.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #17
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I think that's why I'm stuck between RaceDeck or getting the garage epoxy'ed. I like the look of RaceDeck but I also do my oil changes at home so the spillage factor is wasn't keeping me away from RaceDeck.
So one of my neighbors actually has a friend who lives 5 blocks over in the same community who has Swisstrax tiles and he called him up asking if we can go check it out. The Swisstrax are bigger tiles 15x15 and he had a 2 tone theme. Black borders and silver squares that filled each bay or basically where the car would be parked was all silver. I asked him if he does any maintenance and he did say he does his oil changes. He actually puts down cardboard where oil might spill and uses a hard backer board for his 1 ton jack to sit on. He's been doing it this way for 6 years with no issues. I asked him why not RaceDeck and he said the only reason he went Swisstrax was his brother had a hookup so he only paid a fraction of the price. I believe it was almost $4-5 more dollars per sqft when I was getting estimates. I asked him why not go epoxy and he said actually when he first built the house he did have epoxy flooring done but after 5 years of wear and tear it just looked like shit. He has a pretty tricked out Corvette with the carbon fiber components and he said he just didn't like how his garage flooring looked with a nice Corvette sitting in the bay with his Saber Garage Cabinets. But like many people with the same concerns about maintenance he decided to give it a try. He said it was the best thing he ever decided. He said his flooring stands out so much more and his garage feels more like a showroom and a custom garage feel to it. I know exactly what he means when he said that.

So really everyone's gonna have their personal preference and that's really what it's going to come down to. I'm looking at it for more pure aesthetics. I want people to walk in and say "wow, this is nice!" I've been in hundreds of homes with epoxy flooring when I use to be a Building Inspector for the city and it just never wowed me.
Appreciate 2
Ickdeep5706.00