2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Brake paste/lube confusion

11-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #1
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Will be replacing my rear pads and rotors for the first time, think I got it all figured out except every freaking YouTube video has a different take on where to use brake lube and brake paste, if they use any at all .

The official bmw procedure seems to be to use brake paste only, and only on pad/mount contact points (and piston). Not all over the back of the pad, and no other kind of brake lube anywhere, which is different than basically every video, but also consistent with the instructions that came with the akebono pads. That sound wrong to anyone? Weird there are so many different opinions.
      11-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

PERSONALLY- I don't use any paste and never had an issue with noise (of course, I go do a proper break-in afterwards).

But here at work we just make sure all contact points are clean (brake parts cleaner spray and brass brush are welcomed here), and once the mating surface of the caliper to the pads are nice and clean, the back of the pads get a THIN layer of paste (also, the slider pins and checked for clean grease and uninterrupted movement).

Hope that helps!

Clarification- I do everything that we do at work on my own car, minus the brake paste
11' M-sport- 371 WHP-478 WTQ on stock PWG// DYNO COMING FOR Shuenk N55+ on 91oct/ BHP Intake/ IC/ CP/ DP/ Valved Mufflers/ David Shoup Tuning/ B58 Coils+N20 NGKs/ Walbro 450/ Helix OD/ xHP3/ G12 Brembos
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
PERSONALLY- I don't use any paste and never had an issue with noise (of course, I go do a proper break-in afterwards).

But here at work we just make sure all contact points are clean (brake parts cleaner spray and brass brush are welcomed here), and once the mating surface of the caliper to the pads are nice and clean, the back of the pads get a THIN layer of paste (also, the slider pins and checked for clean grease and uninterrupted movement).

Hope that helps!

Clarification- I do everything that we do at work on my own car, minus the brake paste
Thanks for answering my dumb question!

Do you skip the paste on your own car just bc lazy or bc there's some downside to using it besides the mess?
      12-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #4
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Thanks for answering my dumb question!

Do you skip the paste on your own car just bc lazy or bc there's some downside to using it besides the mess?
Sorry, just saw your reply! I skip it for two reasons-

1- Waaaay back when I started working on cars as a teen, I was too broke to buy all the proper stuff . But I'd clean the living out of it and do a proper break-in, and never had an issue with noise

2- Now that I can afford it... because of reason #1, I don't bother buying it LOL
11' M-sport- 371 WHP-478 WTQ on stock PWG// DYNO COMING FOR Shuenk N55+ on 91oct/ BHP Intake/ IC/ CP/ DP/ Valved Mufflers/ David Shoup Tuning/ B58 Coils+N20 NGKs/ Walbro 450/ Helix OD/ xHP3/ G12 Brembos
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, just saw your reply! I skip it for two reasons-

1- Waaaay back when I started working on cars as a teen, I was too broke to buy all the proper stuff . But I'd clean the living out of it and do a proper break-in, and never had an issue with noise

2- Now that I can afford it... because of reason #1, I don't bother buying it LOL
Haha yea figured it just wasn't always worth the bother.

Last thing, I think, since you mentioned slider pins...since we're not supposed to grease them, what's your preferred way of cleaning/servicing them? Just wipe off any crap and move along?
      12-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Haha yea figured it just wasn't always worth the bother.

Last thing, I think, since you mentioned slider pins...since we're not supposed to grease them, what's your preferred way of cleaning/servicing them? Just wipe off any crap and move along?
Slider pins DO get lubricated. Typically the grease is is clean as long as the dust boots aren't torn. But if it's original and say I'm doing brakes on a car with over 100k on it, I like to clean them out and use new OE brake grease (or high temp OTS brake grease from the parts store). But that's really all up to you. As long as the grease is clean and the pins move freely you're good.

I think that cars up north that are exposed to road crap and salt should definitely do this
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Slider pins DO get lubricated. Typically the grease is is clean as long as the dust boots aren't torn. But if it's original and say I'm doing brakes on a car with over 100k on it, I like to clean them out and use new OE brake grease (or high temp OTS brake grease from the parts store). But that's really all up to you. As long as the grease is clean and the pins move freely you're good.

I think that cars up north that are exposed to road crap and salt should definitely do this
This is one of those google/forum rabbit hole topics. Looks like a lot of people use a small amount of high temp grease like you mentioned but that you're really not supposed to use anything as odd as it seems. Here are a few quotes and links if you feel like wasting time like I have:
Don't grease the pins. Especially not on the factory rubber boot. There's a chance that the grease and the boot may react and oxidize over time and cause the pin to bind.

Both the Bentley and the BMW TIS procedure for overhauling the brakes say not to lube the pins.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831353

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324087

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/t...de-pin.398500/
      12-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

The rubber boot will be fine as long as you use the proper grease. Silicone grease only. I know a lot of people who use sil glyde on the pins.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:18 AM   #9
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Having lived many years in the NE and a snowbelt area, I have yet to own a vehicle that did not have rusty rotors and calipers. Road salt is very invasive and all rubber boots protecting the slide leak over time. One can scrupulously wire brush rust from calipers and it will return within the month. Therefore, any advice that one should not use lubricant on slide pins and pad contacts is applicable to those living in dry and sunny climes, but hardly applies to vehicles exposed often to road salt. Assuming one uses the right grease, whatever the downside might be is preferable to rust-bound calipers.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

yea I think that on any floating caliper design, slide pins should always be greased. without grease, you'd have (on the majority of cars) a cast iron caliper trying to slide on non-greased stainless steel pins... that won't work lol. ESPECIALLY in the snow belt or coastal areas affected by sea-breeze.

Now, I could see how you would NOT want to grease pins on a fixed caliper like the brembo calipers that bolt directly to the steering knuckle. The pins used there are just to keep the brake pads from popping out of the calipers (on a top-loader design).
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 12:54 AM   #11
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
The rubber boot will be fine as long as you use the proper grease. Silicone grease only. I know a lot of people who use sil glyde on the pins.
I've used silicone grease and no issue or noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #12
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
yea I think that on any floating caliper design, slide pins should always be greased. without grease, you'd have (on the majority of cars) a cast iron caliper trying to slide on non-greased stainless steel pins... that won't work lol. ESPECIALLY in the snow belt or coastal areas affected by sea-breeze.

Now, I could see how you would NOT want to grease pins on a fixed caliper like the brembo calipers that bolt directly to the steering knuckle. The pins used there are just to keep the brake pads from popping out of the calipers (on a top-loader design).
We have an aluminum caliper tho
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #13
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Just reporting back after finishing the job...my first brake diy, all good

I put the brake paste on the contact points but the pins/boots were moving fine so I didn't mess with them. Thanks for the help!
      12-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

woot woot! awesome!
Appreciate 1