2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10- Daytime Running Light Malfunction

11-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
stalkerb84
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528I 2.0L

F10- Daytime Running Light Malfunction

Hello,

New here i was hoping i could get some help on a issue i am having I went threw a car wash and got a message say daytime running lights malfunction. I noticed that there was moisture inside the driver headlight now my angel eyes on the driver side won't come on ant the self leveling thing is acting up, When i turn on the headlights i can hear like 3 clicks from something on the headlight kinda sounds like some ignitor not very sure. After the 3 clicks nothing happens, no angel eyes. Anyone have any idea what may be the problem? I don't know if the moisture blew out the bulb or worse burned out some module.

Does anyone know how to remove the headlights, Does the front bumper have to come off?

What module controls the angel eyes?

Sorry for all the question, but my warranty just expired

2013 BMW 528I Base 2.0L
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Jbarrer2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bmw 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkerb84 View Post
Hello,

New here i was hoping i could get some help on a issue i am having I went threw a car wash and got a message say daytime running lights malfunction. I noticed that there was moisture inside the driver headlight now my angel eyes on the driver side won't come on ant the self leveling thing is acting up, When i turn on the headlights i can hear like 3 clicks from something on the headlight kinda sounds like some ignitor not very sure. After the 3 clicks nothing happens, no angel eyes. Anyone have any idea what may be the problem? I don't know if the moisture blew out the bulb or worse burned out some module.

Does anyone know how to remove the headlights, Does the front bumper have to come off?

What module controls the angel eyes?

Sorry for all the question, but my warranty just expired

2013 BMW 528I Base 2.0L
Hey I'm wondering if you ever got this resolved ??? Same thing happened to me today!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Gotta get a brand new headlight module and get it coded to the car
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Jbarrer2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
Really?? How much ? And where can I find one ? Sorry for the dum question
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarrer2 View Post
Quote:
You can check eBay for aftermarket type in Bmw f10 headlight module. They're around $120 more/less. The oem one is much more probably like 3-4 times as much. Either one you decide make sure it's brand new and was never coded before because they can only be coded to one particular VIN number. Found this out last week as I tried to code a used one to my car.

First things first, maybe go to a shop and make sure this is what you need. Maybe just your DRL lightbulb went out and needs to be replaced. My symptoms for replacing the headlight module was I had all the error messages associated with the light. Daytime running light malfunction, adaptive light malfunction, turn signal malfunction, etc. I had water building up in the light for weeks until it finally went out on me.
Appreciate 3
      07-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Jbarrer2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can check eBay for aftermarket type in Bmw f10 headlight module. They're around $120 more/less. The oem one is much more probably like 3-4 times as much. Either one you decide make sure it's brand new and was never coded before because they can only be coded to one particular VIN number. Found this out last week as I tried to code a used one to my car.

First things first, maybe go to a shop and make sure this is what you need. Maybe just your DRL lightbulb went out and needs to be replaced. My symptoms for replacing the headlight module was I had all the error messages associated with the light. Daytime running light malfunction, adaptive light malfunction, turn signal malfunction, etc. I had water building up in the light for weeks until it finally went out on me.
Thanks a lot man! So yesterday afternoon after the car wash , i got all the warnings with my passenger light and the lights kept flickering , and my daytime running light went out on the same side so I decided to turn the option off and now today my daytime lights were working on both sides , but my passenger low beam would light up as I would turn it on but for a couple seconds than I would get the error on my I drive and it would go out again and same thing with my passenger high beam , (but now my daytimes are working properly and blinkers on that light) and it still shows a little water condensed inside . Also to point out when I was driving tonight with the low beams(normal) lights on my passenger one randomly again comes on for 5 seconds and pops the msg on the idrive and i click okay and than it shut off again and repeat again at low speeds .
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
Jbarrer2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks a lot man! So yesterday afternoon after the car wash , i got all the warnings with my passenger light and the lights kept flickering , and my daytime running light went out on the same side so I decided to turn the option off and now today my daytime lights were working on both sides , but my passenger low beam would light up as I would turn it on but for a couple seconds than I would get the error on my I drive and it would go out again and same thing with my passenger high beam , (but now my daytimes are working properly and blinkers on that light) and it still shows a little water condensed inside . Also to point out when I was driving tonight with the low beams(normal) lights on my passenger one randomly again comes on for 5 seconds and pops the msg on the idrive and i click okay and than it shut off again and repeat again at low speeds .
Also quick question again , is the Ebay module quality cheaper , like will I have to eventually be worried our should I just go with the oem.

Also thanks I will have it checked out first ,
Do you recommend a European shop or Bmw dealership?since dealership booked till next week
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #8
Jbarrer2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

These are my codes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
Elitebmwowner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 535i drive

Hey can you help me out please I’m having a issue where my drl on My driver side one out after my wheel well cover fell off Resulting in zero functionality from the driver side head light but the drl went out before this so idk if it’s just a bulb and how can I find a new bulb online nothing comes up for bmw 535i xdrive 2011
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitebmwowner View Post
Hey can you help me out please I’m having a issue where my drl on My driver side one out after my wheel well cover fell off Resulting in zero functionality from the driver side head light but the drl went out before this so idk if it’s just a bulb and how can I find a new bulb online nothing comes up for bmw 535i xdrive 2011
Going out on a limb since you didn't identify which type of headlights you have....if you have LED halos...they would be under the control of item #2 in the diagram and link to the part database below. If you don't have LED DRL's...then you may get better recommendations/suggestions if you identify what you have (since there are multiple types of headlamp set-ups).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #11
kardisg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 535i F10

Hello guys did you get to fix this?
I have the same problem on my 2011 535i with adaptive xenon with water damage. I ordered the light control module 63117316217 on ebay and installed it but didn't fix it. I brought it to the indy and they reprogrammed the module and now my L turn signal works but I still have error messages on my dash for adaptive headlight malfunction, vertical aim control and my halo ring or angel ring for daytime running light is still not working. Has anyone experienced this where they bring it to the shop and daytime running light still not working and error messages still on dash?...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #12
JDFlys
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Program control module?

I also have a 2011 535i with adaptive xenon with water damage. Replaced the control module. Any info on how to initialize or code it to the car? Brand new, so never coded before. Can it be done with Bimmercode or Bimmerlink?
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #13
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlys View Post
I also have a 2011 535i with adaptive xenon with water damage. Replaced the control module. Any info on how to initialize or code it to the car? Brand new, so never coded before. Can it be done with Bimmercode or Bimmerlink?
Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlys View Post
Thanks,
You will need e-sys to code the headlight module.

Its unlikely both modules went bad at same time. More likely your frm burned out.

You can see my build thread about how to do it.
      03-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #14
TomaszasF10
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw F10

Daytime running light malfunction

Hello,

I was hoping i could get some help on a issue i am having. After winter I got a message say daytime running lights malfunction, turning signal malfunction. I noticed that there was moisture inside the passenger headlight now my angel eyes and turn signal on the passenger side won't come on. I take headlight off. Clean i, dry it and put back. Everything works fine except angel eyes. No errors. When ignition is on angel eyes works fine, just start engine after 30 seconds angel eyes turn off. I change module from right side to left side no changes. Right side working no problem. When I see when I turning steering wheel or stop to traffic light passenger angel eyes turning on for 30 second and turning off.
When my f10 on ignition all angel eyes working fine, just start engine after 30 seconds passengers turn off
Does anyone know how to fix it? Here is no errors.
Appreciate 0