2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Did valve cover gasket replacement, now no vaccum pressure

11-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

Did valve cover gasket replacement, now no vaccum pressure

Hi guys,

So long story short, I did my valve cover gasket replacement toward end of last year during Covid. Pretty much during my first test drive, I got the following error code:

120308 - Charging pressure control, Plausibility Pressure too low

Changed out a bunch of stuffs, including the Boost pressure Solenoid, the code is still there. Today, I finally realized that there isn't any vacuum pressure coming out of that outlet on the side of the Valve cover to the Boost Solenoid. I found this after seeing the Wastegate not moving while pushing the throttle. Anyhow, I think there is a good chance I cracked the valve cover while taking it out. Will prob do smoke test this weekend. In the meantime, if anyone else has experienced something like this, please let me know. Much appreciated!

Last edited by BlueSander; 11-09-2021 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSander View Post
Hi guys,

So long story short, I did my valve cover gasket replacement toward end of last year during Covid. Pretty much during my first test drive, I got the following error code:

120308 - Charging pressure control, Plausibility Pressure too low

Changed out a bunch of stuffs, including the Boost pressure Solenoid, the code is still there. Today, I finally realized that there isn't any vacuum pressure coming out of that outlet on the side of the Valve cover to the Boost Solenoid. I found this after seeing the Wastegate not moving while pushing the throttle. Anyhow, I think there is a good chance I cracked the valve cover while taking it out. Will prob do smoke test this weekend. In the meantime, if anyone else has experienced something like this, please let me know. Much appreciated!
Smoke test into the crankcase would expose a crack in the VC assembly. Also a whistling noise at idle. Check for cracks in the Vac pump to VC hardline. Also that the o-ring on the VC 90* connector isn't simply rolled.

If you end up needing a VC assembly, check JDMSpeed on Amazon. They sell it for about $95. They have a great reputation on the N55 group in FB for the last 2years+ that people have been running it successfully with zero QC issues. I've been running mine almost a year and love it.
      12-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
Cpazza69
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i

Same issue

Hey, did you manage to resolve this issue? I too have just replaced my valve cover gasket and now have the charge air pressure control issue.

I am thinking I should replace the entire valve cover now. Would you agree?
Appreciate 0