2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications JB4 Stage 2 Installed on f10 535i, word of caution

06-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #45
NELA 5LEEPER
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 535i LCI f10/ bmw x1 28i e

Hey guys, don't think I'm in the right section but here it goes!!!

So i removed the jb4 and got a malfunction, looked into it i guess fried dme ground trace- applied the fix and car is fine..(note* battery was disconnected every time car was touched)
wanted to take car in for an issue but don't know what to do now!

at first was going to play dumb and take car to dealer but after reading on forums im set to believe the tune would be detected....

issue is that my CPO warranty is ending soon and planned on getting extended warranty... so do i take car to the dealer to try have them fix it and risk it getting flagged since warranty expiring anyways?
besides my warranty issue i want to do a flash tune!
so can i flash my dme as is ? or has to be repaired first?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

btw my car is f10 n55 pwg
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #46
MBWORLDZ2019
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Currently I am looking for a tune from BMS. I saw the JB+. but my 2011 F10 535i has the Harness Type A. (Does your car have type A? ) So Mike from X-PH said I can't use it. The N55 JB+ has type B harness. I should use use BMS Stage 1, but tech support from BMS said I can use N54 JB+ (it has harness A). This is what I am confused. My car is N55, would that N54 work ?

And your subject line saids JB4 Stage 2, is this a different device ?
from BMS website, I only see JB+, BMS Stage 1 , then JB4. I don't see any sub category for JB4 Stage 1 or 2, or 3.

Can you clarify what is JB4 Stage 2, would that be a map thing ?

I currently only have a FTP Motorsport charge pipe and use 91 octane. Would that be a waste if I install JB4 ? Since I don't have DP and other mods to get more powers.

Just want to hear your recommendation and feedbacks.

Best Regards
Ced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaiat View Post
Hey guys,

It's my first post here but I've been scouring these forums ever since I bought my F10 535. I felt compelled to write this up so anyone out there with an F10 535 doesn't have the same issue. I recently bought and had installed the JB4 and a VRSF downpipe on my car. When I ordered the JB4 I opted out of ordering the usb cable because I wasn't going to do any dyno readings and it was listed as optional. Once my mechanic installed the tune and the pipe, we were unable to change the maps via the BC button, the mechanic checked all the connections again and again but still there was no sign of life from the JB4. Finally, after researching it more, he found out that in the F10, the tune comes preset to map 1 and in order to activate the BC button you need to hook up the USB cable and enable the option to change the maps. I was a little upset because there wasn't a single note of that on the ordering page and now I would have to wait a few more days to receive the cable plus the extra expense. I emailed BMS and luckily Ando got back to me within a few minutes and said I could pick up the cable in person at their warehouse so I went there the same day. The mechanic hooked it up and now all is good. For anyone who's getting the JB4 for their F10, the usb cable or the bluetooth connection is not optional, its mandatory!

I gotta say, the change in performance with the tune and the downpipe is awesome, it is significantly quicker and more responsive. I'm using map 5 since the highest octane grade we have here is 91. I was expecting a little more noise from the downpipe though, it is louder on cold start but when its warm at idle it sounds like stock. Next upgrade is an exhaust and charge pipe. Just gotta decide between Remus, Dinan or M performance.

Coming from a Mercedes E class, I'm thoroughly loving and enjoying my 535, especially now with these mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #47
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWORLDZ2019 View Post
Currently I am looking for a tune from BMS. I saw the JB+. but my 2011 F10 535i has the Harness Type A. (Does your car have type A? ) So Mike from X-PH said I can't use it. The N55 JB+ has type B harness. I should use use BMS Stage 1, but tech support from BMS said I can use N54 JB+ (it has harness A). This is what I am confused. My car is N55, would that N54 work ?

And your subject line saids JB4 Stage 2, is this a different device ?
from BMS website, I only see JB+, BMS Stage 1 , then JB4. I don't see any sub category for JB4 Stage 1 or 2, or 3.

Can you clarify what is JB4 Stage 2, would that be a map thing ?

I currently only have a FTP Motorsport charge pipe and use 91 octane. Would that be a waste if I install JB4 ? Since I don't have DP and other mods to get more powers.

Just want to hear your recommendation and feedbacks.

Best Regards
Ced
So I just installed my JB4 on my 2011 535i with harness "A".

So here's the info for the JB+: up to 35 wheel horsepower and 45 wheel torque on the N55 motor. Automatically detects the engine type upon installation allowing the same unit to be used for any F series N20, N26, or N55 application!

So Mike was correct about the JB+ not working for your car since yours is a 2011. The JB+ only works for the BMW listed below:

BMW 5 Series
• 2012+ F07 535i GT
• 2012-2016 F10 F11 535i / 535xi

The BMS stage 1 on the N55 motor has only 1 map. This map allows up to 50 horsepower and 65 torque (40hp and 55tq to the wheels) from Burgertuning's website. You can use this for your car. I don't understand why they would refer you to use the N54?

The JB4 is the tune with 7 maps:

Map 0: JB4 disabled
Map 1: Additive target, around 4psi over stock.
Map 2: Additive target, around 6psi over stock. Suggested for those with 93 octane and bolt on modifications. Also good for small E85 mixtures.
Map 3: Progressive WMI mapping.
Map 4: Stock performance with JB4 active for logging only.
Map 5: Autotuning map, absolute target of 11-17psi based on octane and conditions.
Map 6: User definable absolute target map. Suggested for troubleshooting by professionals only.
Map 7: Race gas map. Absolute target of 18.5psi. Requires straight unleaded race gas.

So there's really no stage 2 but people call the JB4 stage 2 to differentiate from JB+ and the BMS. Also stages are referred to the different components you add in conjunction with the JB4 like downpipes, charge pipes, intakes, meth injections and exhaust. Each stage gives you more hp. Those components allow which maps you can and can't run. So mine is set to map 5 because the only mods I have is an exhaust. Map 5 is auto tuning based on octane and conditions. I could also use Map 1 which only gives 4psi of boost.

If you don't plan on getting DP's and just keeping the car stock you're better off getting the BMS.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #48
MBWORLDZ2019
Rep

Great. Since we have the same car, and you got the jb4 installed. How does the throttle
Response? Does it make any difference in sensitivity? I used to have the sprintbooster on my car, just love the throttle lag free. As soon as you touch the throttle, it goes.
As you know our 535i is little heavy.

So if I install the JB4 , I would leave it on map 1 or map 5 (auto tuning)
For horse power , it is little more than BMS stage one right.

Is our stock boost like around 8psi or something. Map 1 will get it to like 12psi?

How do you like it so far? The Bluetooth is nice but additional $140 lol

Thx
Ced

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
So I just installed my JB4 on my 2011 535i with harness "A".

So here's the info for the JB+: up to 35 wheel horsepower and 45 wheel torque on the N55 motor. Automatically detects the engine type upon installation allowing the same unit to be used for any F series N20, N26, or N55 application!

So Mike was correct about the JB+ not working for your car since yours is a 2011. The JB+ only works for the BMW listed below:

BMW 5 Series
• 2012+ F07 535i GT
• 2012-2016 F10 F11 535i / 535xi

The BMS stage 1 on the N55 motor has only 1 map. This map allows up to 50 horsepower and 65 torque (40hp and 55tq to the wheels) from Burgertuning's website. You can use this for your car. I don't understand why they would refer you to use the N54?

The JB4 is the tune with 7 maps:

Map 0: JB4 disabled
Map 1: Additive target, around 4psi over stock.
Map 2: Additive target, around 6psi over stock. Suggested for those with 93 octane and bolt on modifications. Also good for small E85 mixtures.
Map 3: Progressive WMI mapping.
Map 4: Stock performance with JB4 active for logging only.
Map 5: Autotuning map, absolute target of 11-17psi based on octane and conditions.
Map 6: User definable absolute target map. Suggested for troubleshooting by professionals only.
Map 7: Race gas map. Absolute target of 18.5psi. Requires straight unleaded race gas.

So there's really no stage 2 but people call the JB4 stage 2 to differentiate from JB+ and the BMS. Also stages are referred to the different components you add in conjunction with the JB4 like downpipes, charge pipes, intakes, meth injections and exhaust. Each stage gives you more hp. Those components allow which maps you can and can't run. So mine is set to map 5 because the only mods I have is an exhaust. Map 5 is auto tuning based on octane and conditions. I could also use Map 1 which only gives 4psi of boost.

If you don't plan on getting DP's and just keeping the car stock you're better off getting the BMS.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #49
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great. Since we have the same car, and you got the jb4 installed. How does the throttle
Response? Does it make any difference in sensitivity? I used to have the sprintbooster on my car, just love the throttle lag free. As soon as you touch the throttle, it goes.
As you know our 535i is little heavy.

So if I install the JB4 , I would leave it on map 1 or map 5 (auto tuning)
For horse power , it is little more than BMS stage one right.

Is our stock boost like around 8psi or something. Map 1 will get it to like 12psi?

How do you like it so far? The Bluetooth is nice but additional $140 lol.

Thx
Ced
Hey Ced! Perfect timing that we both have the same car and both getting the JB4 done lol! I will say at least for me the throttle response is much better. But every driver is different so we may throttle differently if that makes sense. I wanna say you can still use your Sprint Booster but double check.

So Map 1 is pretty much the same as BMS tuning. But Map 5 ranges anywhere from 12-17 psi depending on your octane (I use 93), conditions and modifications. Even if you're stock from what I was told.

Our stock boost I believe is 7psi. I'll double check on that. So if you're using map 1 that's 4.5psi over so you'll be at 11.5psi.

So far I'm happy with the power. I'll be even more happy once I put the catless downpipes, charge pipes and intakes. Will I ever go BM3? Maybe but for now this will suffice. I no longer crave for the crazy power like I use to when I was younger. I only drive my car on the Weekends or when we go to the car shows and local cruises. She's not my daily driver. I will get the Bluetooth because I do wanna monitor boost, temperatures, ect so that's a nice feature to have
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #50
MBWORLDZ2019
Rep

Bro, I still haven't bought the jb4 yet. But before I get it just want to get more advice and feedback from you. So are you using Map 5 all the time now since it is auto tuning.
In case you fill up the car with race gas, it will detect it and get more boost?

Oh one thing , as for echo or comfort mode. Do you feel any difference?
Or just in sport plus mode.

When my girlfriend drives my car. She always use comfort mode. I get frustrated hahaha
Cause the damn car don't go. It shifts to 5th gear in less than 40mph lol.

I don't think I will crave for tons of hp either. I am not any young like used to be.
Plus there are tons of crazy kids out there that don't care for their lives.

I am also using Carly to read codes on my car. Modify settings and reset
The transmission adaptation. Good stuff. You should get one.
And I remember back in the days when we need to replace a new battery. Dealer or Indy shop will charge you to register it. Now with Carly. I can register my own .
Release brake caliper...Etc. so convenience. Remove video in motion .
Get to watch movies while driving lol.

Quote:
Hey Ced! Perfect timing that we both have the same car
and both getting the JB4 done lol! I will say at least for me the throttle response is much better. But every driver is different so we may throttle differently if that makes sense. I wanna say you can still use your Sprint Booster but double check.

So Map 1 is pretty much the same as BMS tuning. But Map 5 ranges anywhere from 12-17 psi depending on your octane (I use 93), conditions and modifications. Even if you're stock from what I was told.

Our stock boost I believe is 7psi. I'll double check on that. So if you're using map 1 that's 4.5psi over so you'll be at 11.5psi.

So far I'm happy with the power. I'll be even more happy once I put the catless downpipes, charge pipes and intakes. Will I ever go BM3? Maybe but for now this will suffice. I no longer crave for the crazy power like I use to when I was younger. I only drive my car on the Weekends or when we go to the car shows and local cruises. She's not my daily driver. I will get the Bluetooth because I do wanna monitor boost, temperatures, ect so that's a nice feature to have
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #51
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bro, I still haven't bought the jb4 yet. But before I get it just want to get more advice and feedback from you. So are you using Map 5 all the time now since it is auto tuning.
In case you fill up the car with race gas, it will detect it and get more boost?

Oh one thing , as for echo or comfort mode. Do you feel any difference?
Or just in sport plus mode.

When my girlfriend drives my car. She always use comfort mode. I get frustrated hahaha
Cause the damn car don't go. It shifts to 5th gear in less than 40mph lol.

I don't think I will crave for tons of hp either. I am not any young like used to be.
Plus there are tons of crazy kids out there that don't care for their lives.

I am also using Carly to read codes on my car. Modify settings and reset
The transmission adaptation. Good stuff. You should get one.
And I remember back in the days when we need to replace a new battery. Dealer or Indy shop will charge you to register it. Now with Carly. I can register my own .
Release brake caliper...Etc. so convenience. Remove video in motion .
Get to watch movies while driving lol.
I'll be using Map 5 for now until I get my DP, CP, Intake and IC. Than I'll switch to map 2. While in Map 5 it'll adjust accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #52
MBWORLDZ2019
Rep

How's the car driving in comfort mode? Any improvement?
I am using the charge pipe from FTP motorsports. Quality is amazing.
Perfect fitment.

Quote:
I'll be using Map 5 for now until I get my DP, CP, Intake and IC. Than I'll switch to map 2. While in Map 5 it'll adjust accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #53
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How's the car driving in comfort mode? Any improvement?
I am using the charge pipe from FTP motorsports. Quality is amazing.
Perfect fitment.
I don't have the option to switch into those sport modes as my car did not come with that option. I only have the capability to switch from auto to I dunno what you call it but I can shift through the gears manually. I will say the car runs alot different. My exhaust note seems deeper as the wifey noticed the tone change. I also now can hear the diverter valve blowing off a little louder. Never heard it before. There's a few members who said the same thing about FTP's CP so I may look into that
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #54
MBWORLDZ2019
Rep

You don't have the option to switch to sport mode ?
Does your steering have paddle shifters?
Is there two button next to your gear shifter on the upper left saying sport and normal?

Quote:
I don't have the option to switch into those sport modes as my car did not come with that option. I only have the capability to switch from auto to I dunno what you call it but I can shift through the gears manually. I will say the car runs alot different. My exhaust note seems deeper as the wifey noticed the tone change. I also now can hear the diverter valve blowing off a little louder. Never heard it before. There's a few members who said the same thing about FTP's CP so I may look into that
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #55
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You don't have the option to switch to sport mode ?
Does your steering have paddle shifters?
Is there two button next to your gear shifter on the upper left saying sport and normal?
Nope
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #56
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i X-drive

i think I am having the same problem.. I recently bought an used JB4 and I just installed it and cant figure out the option to change maps since I have the catless downpipe. I also want to know what map is the JB4 running at the moment. The BC option is not working on my 535i.

is anyone in the NYC area that can help me with this, I will gladly appreciated.

Thanks.
      09-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #57
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC535iowner View Post
i think I am having the same problem.. I recently bought an used JB4 and I just installed it and cant figure out the option to change maps since I have the catless downpipe. I also want to know what map is the JB4 running at the moment. The BC option is not working on my 535i.

is anyone in the NYC area that can help me with this, I will gladly appreciated.

Thanks.
I can switch maps with my labtop hooked up or buy the Bluetooth app to switch maps
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #58
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is there anyone in the tri state area ( NYC) that can help me out.. I will like to get it hooked up to a lap top or the cable so I can be able to change maps or figure out what map I am running.

Thanks
      09-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #59
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there anyone in the tri state area ( NYC) that can help me out.. I will like to get it hooked up to a lap top or the cable so I can be able to change maps or figure out what map I am running.

Thanks
from my experience and from info from Burgertuning once you disconnect the battery the JB4 defaults to Map 0 which disables the JB4. I didn't know it would do that when I was cleaning up my wiring. so when I test drove the car I notice the car felt stock again instead of that extra HP's I felt when I first set it to Map 5. hooked up the labtop and sure enough the JB4 was back on Map 0
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #60
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
from my experience and from info from Burgertuning once you disconnect the battery the JB4 defaults to Map 0 which disables the JB4. I didn't know it would do that when I was cleaning up my wiring. so when I test drove the car I notice the car felt stock again instead of that extra HP's I felt when I first set it to Map 5. hooked up the labtop and sure enough the JB4 was back on Map 0
So in order for me to change the map myself I should get the cable to connect to a laptop or get the piece to make it wireless so I can use my phone?
      09-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #61
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So in order for me to change the map myself I should get the cable to connect to a laptop or get the piece to make it wireless so I can use my phone?
go Bluetooth that way you can switch maps, data logs and view gauges with your phone. you also have the option to use BC steering controls to switch maps but you would first have to enable that feature using your labtop and enabling that feature
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:20 PM   #62
Lildude512
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

Quote:
Quote:
go Bluetooth that way you can switch maps, data logs and view gauges with your phone. you also have the option to use BC steering controls to switch maps but you would first have to enable that feature using your labtop and enabling that feature
So do you guys think I would need to change any other components. If I go with a dp,cp, intake,ic, jb4 set up? How many more hp you think this would make?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #63
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildude512 View Post
So do you guys think I would need to change any other components. If I go with a dp,cp, intake,ic, jb4 set up? How many more hp you think this would make?
You would select map 2 for those upgrades
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #64
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I finally fixed my issued with my car.

PLEASE READ MY STORY SO YOU GUYS CAN MAKE SURE TO TAKE YOUR CAR TO A GOOD SHOP AND NOT JUST ANY SHOP.

I recently took the car to a shop who installed the the VRSF catless DP and (supposedly) the JB4 for me.
Due to the CATLESS DP I blew off the map sensor off the charge pipe, so the car was running like shit for a week.
I ordered a new VRSF Charge pipe (VRSF best service around ) and installed it over the weekend at a different shop who I follow on IG, they have some fast BMW and I was told they were the BMW doctors.

So after installing my new VRSF charge pipe at the new shop the mechanic runs a scan to make sure things are good and to take away the CEL due to the map sensor. The mechanic asked me "who installed your JB4" I answered another shop. The mechanic laughs at me and tells me that the other shop never installed anything, they only plug one out of many plugs.
I was so mad that the other shop lie to me.

At the end of the day the new shop installed the charge pipe & JB4 properly, I was able to change MAP using the BC button, I was able to test run the car and I had a BIG SMILE on my face knowing that the car is now running 100% and feels good.
      09-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #65
brokenlegsvinnie
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Appreciate 0