2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Have you experienced BMW prejudism?

10-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #67
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
On a related note, I think all of the "prejudice" I receive is because I'm 28 (and look younger). It's always from people old enough to be my dad or older giving me shit for my car, which makes me laugh because neither of my cars are worth more than probably 5-6 grand on a good day. It's more the ignorance that annoys me over anything else.
Oh yeah. Certain used BMW's have really become affordable to buy -- if not to keep. People still see the Bavarian colors and think "snooty uppity snob who drives like a jerk" even though that crown has long since been placed on Audi drivers' heads.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #68
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Oh yeah. Certain used BMW's have really become affordable to buy -- if not to keep. People still see the Bavarian colors and think "snooty uppity snob who drives like a jerk" even though that crown has long since been placed on Audi drivers' heads.
No way. Audis are still overwhelmingly driven by badge-seekers. Only the S4 and S5 have some douchebag owners.

We still take the crown for douchebaggery. Audi is not a performance car, it's a poser car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #69
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
car prejudice is real. setting BMW's aside for a sec, how do we feel about Prius drivers? sportbike riders? lifted truck bros?
Prius= tampon on wheels
Sport bike= ok
Lifted truck bros= kings of the douches
      10-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #70
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

has it ever been explained how Audi became a badge that carried prestige, again? i mean...as much as BMW has lost its shit this decade, i think everyone knows that it was a prestige brand for a long time.

did Audi did that Lexus thing where, well because we said this is a prestige brand then you should believe us on this. i mean, the RS7 and R8 are bad ass, but i'm still not clear. although i am four old fashioneds into the night...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #71
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Prius= tampon on wheels
Sport bike= ok
Lifted truck bros= kings of the douches
lol thanks for backing me up on this.

my neighbor just bought a can am dune buggy and is racing it up and down our residential streets. this is a new thing that i can't wrap my head around right now
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #72
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I haven't had any encounters on the road, but have had co-workers or family members make comments about it. Most know nothing about cars, and assume it is newer than it really is. Once in the 325 someone made a comment about how my daddy must've bought it for me. They were in a newer Suburban. I said you realize this thing is 11 years old right (at the time), and your Suburban cost more than this did new? They shut up after that.

I never understood the prejudice, honestly. I mean you can get a brand new 320i or base model Benz for a bit over 30 grand. Meanwhile the people who look down on you for driving something "expensive" are riding around with mountains of debt driving their $70k luxury trucks and SUVs.

It doesn't bother me, I could care less what people think, but it always reminds me just how ignorant people are.
Facts...I was literally just having this exact conversation with my buddy earlier today. The ignorance is real lol
      10-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #73
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

my neighbor just bought a can am dune buggy and is racing it up and down our residential streets. this is a new thing that i can't wrap my head around right now
      10-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #74
ShikaSenbei
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, F95 X5MC

I notice I get cut off more in the M3. More people seem to want to mess with me or play.

Contrast this when I'm in the M5. People tend to move aside or stay out of my way when I'm coming up. I'm also generally left alone or given thumbs up.

Go figure.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #75
Caffeine Powered
Keep it moving
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Prejudice? Three weeks ago I went from an Audi to a BMW. Dopey WRX drivers always wanted to race the Audi.

Last week I was going home from a meeting via a 30mph residential boulevard. Flow was at slightly above the limit as it transitions into a 25mph school zone. In the mirror I see an AllRoad coming fast. He goes by me doing 50-ish and I thought "I'm glad I'm not lumped in with that D-bag anymore."
A half mile later we all get to a red light and he's in the center lane. I'm in the right turn lane waiting my turn and as he passes he yells at me "Nice car!"

That's when I recognized him as a friend from bike racing. He'd traded his Mazda for the AllRoad the week before.
      10-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #76
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

My PC interns have helped me learn the lingo, so I'll pass it on. You are all experiencing 'micro-aggressions' that are an expression of the implicit class-dominance structure that oppresses us all. Those hateful other drivers don't realize they are oppressors because their privilege is embedded in class norms that they have been socialized to ignore and see this as normal. Forgive me for not including the obligatory spelling and grammar errors that are usually found in any of these sociopolitical rants, but I too m a product of an overbearing and relentless academic upbringing.

I'm thinking we need "I Can't Speed" shirts, to help build a sense of community .
Appreciate 1
BB TX50.50
      10-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #77
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
car prejudice is real. setting BMW's aside for a sec, how do we feel about Prius drivers? sportbike riders? lifted truck bros?
For me it depends a lot on the driver and how they act. I live near a college campus, which brings two sets of people for every vehicle you listed. A Prius can either be an elderly lady from my town going 10 under the speed limit, or some college wacko cutting me off in my Jeep because I'm killing the environment.

Same can be said for sport bike riders and lifted bro truck drivers. I've met plenty from each group that were nice people, but a lot of them are out there for the image, and intentionally try to be a dick. I kinda chuckle every time I see a "motorcycles are everywhere" bumper sticker because usually within 10 minutes some a-hole will pass 3 cars at 100+ mph while doing a wheelie.

Again, I always assume nothing to begin with, then see if the driver fits the stereo type.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #78
bmwgrande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Unfortunately some unconsciously base their speed on the car next to them. I find if I jump on it to get away from them, they back down and keep up with the next car. I don't know what is worse; the pack mentality or drivers' inability to grasp the concept of keeping right except to pass. Drives me CRAZY.
Agreed. Apparently it's become the new normal to want to be herded together so when one idiot decides to make a left turn into the jersey barrier at 70mph because he/she was writing an indignant Yelp review and couldn't be bothered to stay in the lane, everyone gets to be part of the crash.

In CT, most people get on the highway, cut over into the left lane at 50mph, and then stay there until they decide to cut across all lanes for their exit, which apparently they were surprised by. If they notice you, which is sometimes a big if, regardless of the car you drive, they are just generally assholes and enjoy liberal use of their brakes and high beams.
      10-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #79
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrande View Post
Agreed. Apparently it's become the new normal to want to be herded together so when one idiot decides to make a left turn into the jersey barrier at 70mph because he/she was writing an indignant Yelp review and couldn't be bothered to stay in the lane, everyone gets to be part of the crash.

In CT, most people get on the highway, cut over into the left lane at 50mph, and then stay there until they decide to cut across all lanes for their exit, which apparently they were surprised by. If they notice you, which is sometimes a big if, regardless of the car you drive, they are just generally assholes and enjoy liberal use of their brakes and high beams.
It's not just CT, it's NY/NJ too. My commute consists of about 5 miles on a two lane parkway. I keep right except to pass. If I am approaching an entrance ramp and see traffic getting on, I move left (to both be polite and because I don't trust others ability to merge) and then move back right in front of them.
Every
Single
Day
Some jerk will jump on it to get in front of me, only to hit the brake and back down to 50 mph - with no one in the right lane. I hate people.
Appreciate 2
      10-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #80
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

BMW owners are the worst drivers in the UK - per this article
http://en.cartests.net/2018/10/22/bm...ers-in-the-uk/
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #81
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:

This has made it's way north of you. I have one of these in my neighborhood as well
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #82
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwhmts View Post
BMW owners are the worst drivers in the UK - per this article
http://en.cartests.net/2018/10/22/bm...ers-in-the-uk/
Whoever wrote that needs to take a writing course. This sentence is really something: “That’s probably the reason why not only did they get too poor control over their expensive cars, but also excessive ‘backwardness’ and a sense of being better than others.”

At least he got the word “too” right (I’m a grammar Nazi and that’s one of my many peeves”). But wow, that’s some seriously shitty writing.
      10-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #83
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Previous comments aside ... nothing -- I repeat: nothing -- compares to the prejudice encountered as a sportbike rider. That makes any other type of vehicular anti-marque bias fade to barely noticeable if you're anything but hyper-aware like I am.

That said: BMW bias is real. I live in one of those 'dime-a-dozen' cities, but I don't always drive in the 'dime-a-dozen' areas of that city. Behavior toward my BMW was markedly different between Uptown and, say, Garland, or between the Dallas North Tollway and, say, I-35E between Oak Lawn and I-635.

(What's more real: Porsche bias, in some similar ways (folks cutting you off) and not similar ways (folks with genuine good-natured interest).)

The majority of people may not care what you're driving, but subliminally most know the general profile of a BMW in the same way they know the general profile of a Cadillac, or (at this point) a Prius. That informs behavior. Those who feel that it doesn't don't understand how the human mind works.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #84
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrande View Post

Quoted for truth.

I may be the asshole that blocks those people.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #85
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
i have had people curse me out and scream at me that, " just bc you can afford a BMW doesnt mean i own the road!!!". this was while driving my '05 X5 last week.... all bc i honked at this Uber driver for cutting me off.
I've driven a lot of nice cars and that's never happened to me. Maybe it's just your style of driving.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #86
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I've driven a lot of nice cars and that's never happened to me. Maybe it's just your style of driving.
i drove professionally for 13 years, all VIP clients. its not my driving style.
      10-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #87
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
Whoever wrote that needs to take a writing course. This sentence is really something: “That’s probably the reason why not only did they get too poor control over their expensive cars, but also excessive ‘backwardness’ and a sense of being better than others.”

At least he got the word “too” right (I’m a grammar Nazi and that’s one of my many peeves”). But wow, that’s some seriously shitty writing.
It's an Eastern European site, maybe Polish?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #88
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
It's an Eastern European site, maybe Polish?
Is it? I was under the impression it was British. If it’s a second language thing, then I can understand.