2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Meth Injection: Single fogger or direct port injection

09-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Meth Injection: Single fogger or direct port injection

Can anyone confirm the pros and cons of each setup? To me, I could totally see how a single fogger would soak the middle cylinders with the intake design. The direct port has 6 times as many fail points and is quite a bit more expensive. The questions I'd like to answer here is: are the performance gains (if there are any) worth the extra cost?

I did a little research and found the following article HERE regarding a single fogger. If you don't want to read it, it basically argues that because the air is getting rammed down the engine's throat, and the valves are only open for a short amount of time, there should be no problem with the manifold being charged with an even mix of whatever you are spraying into it. Granted this article was not taking into consideration the N55 intake specifically.

Then I spoke to the guy that sells this:
https://prometh.com/products/bmw-n54...nt=44073406286

By the time you buy all the mounting, hoses etc for the direct port it works out to about 1200 bucks plus tax. He had this to say, and it makes a whole lot of sense to me looking at the manifold in the link up above there:

"You can not flow methanol into this intake manifold and expect to have
any reasonable distribution. Its an intake manifold that was designed to
move air not a wet flow. This is not a carbureted intake manifold. The
throttle body sits right over cylinders 3 and 4 intake runners. If you run
a single or dual nozzle water-methanol injection system prior to the
throttle body you will have a significant distribution problem. The center
cylinders on this engine will get most of the water-methanol while corner
cylinders 1 and 6 get very little. This is intake manifold is not designed
for a wet flow. It's simple as that. A company came to us over two years
ago and asked us to design a direct port to help fix this issue. Since then
we have lots of shops and customers buying our kit. I'm sold out on kits
right now and have a hard enough time alone just keeping inventory in stock
for all the various type of direct port we make."

I suppose we should ask, why do you want this? Is it for octane gain or is it simply for cooling your IAT's? OR is it both? Will direct port still register the cooler temps for the IAT's if it's located post TMAP sensor?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 M4, 2013 F10 N55

If you are using Meth for additional fueling and octane boost I would believe port meth would be better. It would definitely give much better cylinder distribution. If you are using it for IAT reduction, it needs to be in the charge pipe, prior to the TMAP sensor. Port meth would be injected after the TMAP sensor and have no impact for IAT reduction.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I read an article that said you can have one or up to 3 points of injection.... pre-turbo inlet to keep turbo cool, into the charge pipe for TMAP cooling, and then direct port for octane boost... I wonder what kind of management that would take!
Appreciate 0