2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Coding Help - Need to Open & Flush ABS Unit

08-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Coding Help - Need to Open & Flush ABS Unit

Hi - I recently did a track day and had to do a full flush to get rid of some brake pedal sponginess. Unfortunately, after the full bleed w Motul RBF 660, I had the pedal again 'go through' to the floor on the next lap. After speaking to a few BMW fans, they recommended going to the dealer to do a full flush again including the ABS unit. I understand I need to hook up to the CPU to tell it to open the ABS valves while doing the flush, otherwise air could potentially stay trapped in the unit. I am pretty handy and would like to do this myself. I am looking for assistance with this process - wiring and coding instructions as well as any gotchas to be aware of when doing the full flush again. I am going with Castrol SRF DOT 4 racing fluid next.

Thanks!!
Peter
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

A more DIY friendly albeit ghetto method is find a back road and engage ABS a few times, this will cycle the fluid inside ABS unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I am down with that; just wasn't sure how effective that would be. I suppose I should do a full flush first to get rid of any air in the lines to make sure I am not re-introducing air into the ABS system.
Appreciate 0