2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Traded in my 14 550 for hellcat

07-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
hextall14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi M sport

Looking for a summer fun car and liked the challengers. When I called dealerships i inquired about the hellcat. They were sold out all over. The next day dealership calls and said a custom order canceled and I could grab if I wanted to.

So I said yes. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
Ickdeep5717.50
      07-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
DLerner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, X164 GL550

Nice and congrats. Be careful with that beast!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I would have kept the 550! but Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #4
hextall14
Enlisted Member
Rep

I plan to get a 2016. I was hoping for some new tech upgrades but that appears to be 2017 I guess. I'll order in Oct.

So I'll definitely be back. This won't last as daily driver
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 05:42 AM   #5
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Is that B5 Blue? One of the best colors ever! Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Congrats! I remember when I moved to the U.S., I almost bought a challenger SRT. I ended up buying 550 but I still love challenger for sure. Tell us more about it. How's the interior quality? How does the car feel at ~85 mph? Any Wind noise? Does it feel heavy on turns?

Last edited by Russkey; 07-22-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

For those days when 400+ HP V8 simply isn't enough

Congrats, enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
blueoval68gt
Rep
Drives: 2015 550i

Nice Car.... it truly is; however, when deciding between the cars a month ago, I was split between the Charger Hellcat and the 550. I did some research, a lot of research, and had the ability to drive several hellcat chargers/challengers and several 550's ranging from brand new to about 20,000 miles. What I found is that the 550 was a far more consistent car from brand new to the 20,000 mark. Still very tight, minimal rattles, and the interior showed FAR less wear in things like the carpet, leather, etc

The second thing I did was look at the cost to own. Dodge service recommends a service every 5,000 on the Hellcat, even though the manual says 6k ... at the tune of $150 per service. When taking those things into consideration, I picked the 550 over the Hellcat.

Don't get me wrong, the Hellcat is an engineering marvel (707 HP are you freaking kidding me!!!) with a price point which is comparable to the 550.. the car is built well and a fun car to drive .. but when taking everything into consideration, the 550 was for me.

Enjoy it and drive that beast safely
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #10
hextall14
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes it's B5 blue. Really nice color I found out.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 05:38 AM   #11
hextall14
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey
Congrats! I remember when I moved to the U.S., I almost bought a challenger SRT. I ended up buying 550 but I still love challenger for sure. Tell us more about it. How's the interior quality? How does the car feel at ~85 mph? Any Wind noise? Does it feel heavy on turns?
Dodge did a decent job with the interior compared to previous cars. The leather is far nicer than the Dakota leather on my 550.

The build quality obviously isn't anywhere near the 550 but the interior is still nice. It creaks and groans a bit and the plastic fit is a B+

The car as you would expect is blisteringly fast and almost uncontrollable as you accelerate so quickly. My 550 felt so planted and secure. Hellcat feels tall but could also be the rate of speed quickly contributes to that.

It's a blast to drive and something to have as a toy. You can drive it everyday for sure as it's comfy to sit in and easy to get in and out. But once you are used to cruising in a 550 it's hard to not miss that.

At 85 you don't feel anything. You can't hear wind noise become the engine is so loud.....all you hear is a heavy breathing monster telling in your ear.

On turns it feels too floaty but that could also be the speed. You can be going 120 off entrance ramp to highway if not careful and suddenly the handling is obviously limited. So I think it's more the speed than the handling...just going faster than expect.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #12
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hextall14 View Post
Dodge did a decent job with the interior compared to previous cars. The leather is far nicer than the Dakota leather on my 550.

The build quality obviously isn't anywhere near the 550 but the interior is still nice. It creaks and groans a bit and the plastic fit is a B+

The car as you would expect is blisteringly fast and almost uncontrollable as you accelerate so quickly. My 550 felt so planted and secure. Hellcat feels tall but could also be the rate of speed quickly contributes to that.

It's a blast to drive and something to have as a toy. You can drive it everyday for sure as it's comfy to sit in and easy to get in and out. But once you are used to cruising in a 550 it's hard to not miss that.

At 85 you don't feel anything. You can't hear wind noise become the engine is so loud.....all you hear is a heavy breathing monster telling in your ear.

On turns it feels too floaty but that could also be the speed. You can be going 120 off entrance ramp to highway if not careful and suddenly the handling is obviously limited. So I think it's more the speed than the handling...just going faster than expect.
I can't imagine how powerful it is. Need to test drive it asap Enjoy this beast and I definitely don't want to see a Hellcat next to me on a traffic light with no cars around us haha. Enjoy it
      07-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #13
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 550i ///M Sport

I would of go for the M5 or M6, but I'm not you so enjoy!
      07-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #14
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextall14
Looking for a summer fun car and liked the challengers. When I called dealerships i inquired about the hellcat. They were sold out all over. The next day dealership calls and said a custom order canceled and I could grab if I wanted to.

So I said yes. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
If it ain't got Idrive, you won't find it in my drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 05:11 AM   #15
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval68gt View Post
Nice Car.... it truly is; however, when deciding between the cars a month ago, I was split between the Charger Hellcat and the 550. I did some research, a lot of research, and had the ability to drive several hellcat chargers/challengers and several 550's ranging from brand new to about 20,000 miles. What I found is that the 550 was a far more consistent car from brand new to the 20,000 mark. Still very tight, minimal rattles, and the interior showed FAR less wear in things like the carpet, leather, etc

The second thing I did was look at the cost to own. Dodge service recommends a service every 5,000 on the Hellcat, even though the manual says 6k ... at the tune of $150 per service. When taking those things into consideration, I picked the 550 over the Hellcat.

Don't get me wrong, the Hellcat is an engineering marvel (707 HP are you freaking kidding me!!!) with a price point which is comparable to the 550.. the car is built well and a fun car to drive .. but when taking everything into consideration, the 550 was for me.

Enjoy it and drive that beast safely

Wonder if the thinking changed after finding out the 550 was a big pos. It sure did for me...but I'm still a fool and have yet to get rid of it. Soon and very soon....
      09-25-2018, 07:17 PM   #16
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
Wonder if the thinking changed after finding out the 550 was a big pos. It sure did for me...but I'm still a fool and have yet to get rid of it. Soon and very soon....
You bought a 2011 which shortly after you got into an accident with if I am not mistaken.

Most 550 LCIs do just fine, especially if you take care of them.

A coworker owns this ridiculously funny looking vehicle which is apparently known as Hellcat that I refuse to even go to lunch with.

I thought he installed those yellow strips on the front spoiler himself until I saw OPs picture.

Hope OP is happy with his choice and gets an opportunity to drive his car to its 700hp limits.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 09-26-2018 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #17
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Quote:
You bought a 2011 which shortly after you got into an accident with if I am not mistaken.

Most 550 LCIs do just fine, especially if you take care of them.

A coworker owns a this ridiculously funny looking vehicle which is apparently known as Hellcat that I refuse to even go to lunch with.

I thought he installed those yellow strips on the front spoiler himself until I saw OPs picture.

Hope OP is happy with his choice and gets an opportunity to drive his car to its 700hp limits.
Yeah, had an accident which has nothing to do with all the endless issues I've had. It's currently in the shop AGAIN. Had the in tank fuel pump replaced last month and now the high pressure pump went out last week. The cars seen more down time that road time. Haven't had a week of ownership without the DTM. I know the LCI cars are better but I was expecting much less issues with BMW in general.

Be that as it may, hopefully the OP isn't having much down time with his new vehicle.
      09-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #18
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Yeah, had an accident which has nothing to do with all the endless issues I've had. It's currently in the shop AGAIN. Had the in tank fuel pump replaced last month and now the high pressure pump went out last week. The cars seen more down time that road time. Haven't had a week of ownership without the DTM. I know the LCI cars are better but I was expecting much less issues with BMW in general.

Be that as it may, hopefully the OP isn't having much down time with his new vehicle.
You got arguably the worst BMW you could with the 550...
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      09-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #19
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:

You got arguably the worst BMW you could with the 550...
I'm not giving up on the brand after this one but I'm putting it up for sale once I get it back from the shop. Love the driving dynamics and ambiance but so many issues...wowzers
      09-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #20
TTG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not giving up on the brand after this one but I'm putting it up for sale once I get it back from the shop. Love the driving dynamics and ambiance but so many issues...wowzers
It doesn't have much to do with a brand. Most folks trade in anything that is garbage and keep the good cars or sell them in person. I recommend you trading this car in.

Speaking of the brand, I am not sure how many I have own in the past (many) but I always bought them new and never had any issues with any of my BMWs. My current 535 has been rock solid and never been into the dealer besides routine maintenance.

But I sure would not pick a BMW up from a random used car lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #21
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
It doesn't have much to do with a brand. Most folks trade in anything that is garbage and keep the good cars or sell them in person. I recommend you trading this car in.

Speaking of the brand, I am not sure how many I have own in the past (many) but I always bought them new and never had any issues with any of my BMWs. My current 535 has been rock solid and never been into the dealer besides routine maintenance.

But I sure would not pick a BMW up from a random used car lot.
IMO it has everything to do with the brand and its reputation. I'm not out of touch with reality when buying a new or used car and know that issues crop up but the 550 in general and any N63 for that matter have more issues than should be of any brand of any year....new or used.

And for the record I didn't just buy from any "random" used car lot which if you followed the story you'd know that I traveled the east coast to reputable high end dealers in my search, and that's where I got this vehicle from. Doesn't matter really because my situation isn't isolated so IDK what you're trying to imply...money is green no matter where tou buy.

Be that as it may, I'd always been given the "don't buy a V8 BMW" talk but I'm an enthusiast and buy what I WANT and am dealing with the consequences this time. When I say I'm not done with the brand I mean that this experience or the hundreds of others won't spoil me trying it again at some point in the future but as for THIS SPECIFIC CAR, it'll be sold once it comes from the shop, not traded.

Btw Bud, I bought my Volvo at a "random" car lot 6 yrs ago and Volvo acts as if I bought it off of their lot every time it comes in for service even though I bought it at a "random"used car dealer. Haven't had many issues with it, kinda Maytag-ish tbh, but that instills confidence in me for the brand as a whole. It's not a high performance machine like the 550 so I don't expect issues like I would with the Bmw but the Bmw's issues come weekly.

And for the record you spoke of my "accident" earlier...I was ran off the road and the front and rear bumpers had to be resprayed and all wheels and tires replaced. I'd hardly call that a catastrophic accident but tomato tomahtoe I guess..right?

All that being said with all due respect....sir.
      09-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #22
TTG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What I am trying to imply is that in most cases BMW dealer's will keep a nice or nicer cars on their lot that are trade-ins or lease returns with good records / history, certify it and stand behind it. If not, they tend to auction them off and get them out of their lot.

That's it, hopefully better luck with your next purchase.
Appreciate 0