2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Parking break limited warning

08-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 528i (sold); F44 M235 GC (

Exclamation Parking break limited warning

Hello all, has anyone encountered a "Parking Break limited" warning message? Searched and only saw a reference on the 7 forum. I have a 2011 F10 approaching 78K miles...love this car. Today marks the second time in 3 weeks I've had to bring the car in to try and get some resolution. SA is certain it's electrical as the warning will come and go on it's own....first time it happened, my instrument cluster was lighting up with a "tail lamp malfunction" and "trunk open" messages. After that, just the parking break malfunction message that keeps coming back. Last week, the check engine light came on with no other messages on the idrive - just that light. Made an appointment for today and at the end of day 1, nothing going, as he dealer will keep it overnight.

Also noticed my oil gauge seems to be jumping around as well...not sure if it's related but guessing/hoping it's the same gremlin. Anyone been through any of this before?

Thankfully, I got the extended warranty right before the 50k mileage point, so trips to the dealer are stress-free.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Damn sounds like you have more than one problem keep us posted
      08-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 528i (sold); F44 M235 GC (

Well, back at the dealer - the cheek engine light was a sensor that they were able to T-shoot and replace. For the parking break warning light (which came on several times on the way to the dealer) they re-coded the car again.

Picked the car up after a few days, and from the moment I got into the car as the tech drive up, the warning triangle in the instrument cluster was on. I thought "this is odd...what's this?" TPWS was still reseting. Figured it would go away on its own, so drove it home (~20 min drive). Yup....It did not go away.

Drove to work the next morning, TPWS still won't reset. Worse, I can't cancel it as my inputs on the menu have no effect. As the system is in reset mode, I have no readings on the tires. Unsat. Back to the dealer. SA comes out and says for some reason, the car is in a pre-production routine, and they think they got it....should be 15 mins. Fast forward about an hour and half and several road tests, they go from one software bug to the next. When the car is hooked up to the computer, the computer says everything is fine..but the car still shows active faults/issues. Happy they were able to see that during the road tests, and not just what was logged in the history.

In another loaner, get a call the next day: The control module is toast. New one on the way in a few days.

Here's hoping this actually fixes it. While driving around in new loaner cars is fun (a 430 convertible, an i3 (...which BTW is surprisingly great although the sticker price works out about a 5er) and an X3 - these guys are taking great care of me) I really just want my car squared away....
Appreciate 1