2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW N63 engine service action (Service Bulletin B001314)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #397
550bye
Private
550bye's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2011 550i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez1985 View Post






This is what was done and I ended up paying $2200 for was not covered.
Can anyone tell me what they exactly did?
I don't see anything posted, if you are loading photos it did not work (atleast on my end). I ended up with 2 receipts, 1 for what I paid for and 1 for all the free stuff they did which was about 4 or 5 pages altogether.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #398
Drez1985
New Member
3
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550bye View Post
I don't see anything posted, if you are loading photos it did not work (atleast on my end). I ended up with 2 receipts, 1 for what I paid for and 1 for all the free stuff they did which was about 4 or 5 pages altogether.
Uploaded
Attached Images
     

Last edited by Drez1985; 05-16-2019 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #399
550bye
Private
550bye's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2011 550i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

So when I had my valve stems done, I went through the entire list and asked what they were with my tech, there were a few things that I had done that you didn't have done but there were some things you had done that I didn't.

Below is your lists in black but with the part description in blue. In the photos below I highlighted the items in RED from the list you asked about. I hope this helps.

PAGE 1
11-34-0-054-492 REPAIR KIT VALVE SEAL RING:113080 Valve Stem Seal Kit
11-15-8-636-540 SET, OIL SEPARATORS, CYLINDE:114050 Oil Separator Set - Crankcase Ventilation System
11-12-7-566-281 GASKET:118523 Timing Cover Gasket (Left or Right Upper)
11-12-8-636-401 PROFILE-GASKET:118523 Profile-Gasket (Between Valve Cover Gasket and Timing Cover Gasket)
11-36-7-564-346 CENTRAL SCREW:889520 Bolt for Timing Chain Sprocket - Intake/Exhaust Camshaft
11-42-7-583-220 SET OIL FILTER ELEMENT:114010 Oil Filter Kit
13-53-7-584-315 GASKET RING:889520 Injector O-Ring
13-53-7-564-751 DECOUPLING ELEMENT:135060 Decoupling Element
11-65-7-646-092 EXCH. TURBO CHARGER:116039 Turbocharger
11-15-7-575-640 VENT PIPE:111066 Crankcase Vent Hose - Vent Hose to Intake - Cylinders 1-4
11-15-7-575-641 VENT PIPE:111066 Crankcase Vent Hose - Vent Hose to Intake - Cylinders 5-8
11-15-7-646-086 CONNECTING LINE:111060 Crankcase Vent Hose - Cover to Vent Hose - Cyl 1-4
11-15-7-646-087 CONNECTING LINE:111060 Crankcase Vent Hose - Cover to Vent Hose - Cyl 5-8
11-65-7-577-016 OIL RETURN COVER:116040 Turbocharger Oil Line Flange - Oil Return Lines to Engine Block
11-42-8-624-158 GASKET ASBESTOS Free:118523 Turbocharger Oil Line Gasket - Turbocharger to Oil Return Line
11-42-7-577-010 RETURN PIPE:111060 Turbocharger Oil Line - Cylinders 1-4 (Return) (Right)
11-42-7-577-011 RETURN PIPE:111060 Turbocharger Oil Line - Cylinders 5-8 (Return) (Left)
11-65-7-577-018 O-RING:889520 Turbocharger O-Ring
12-12-0-037-580 O-RING, HIGH POWER:121031 Spark Plug
07-11-9-963-072 GASKET RING:078500 Copper Washer - 10 X 14 X 1 mm - Auto Trans Drain Plug
83-21-2-450-384 BMW GROUP LL-01 FE 0W-30 BUL:832511 Oil 0W30

PAGE 2
11-65-7-620-508 SCREW CLAMP:11609965 Exhaust Clamp - Turbocharger to Diesel Particulate Filter
18-30-7-553-601 GASKET EXH. TURBOCHARGER/CAT.:188520 Exhaust Gasket - Turbocharger to Catalytic Converter
11-62-7-614-095 EXHAUST MANIFOLD/CYLINDER HE:118523 Exhaust Manifold Gasket - Manifold to Cylinder Head
11-62-7-576-991 GASKET:118523 Turbocharger Gasket - Exhaust Manifold to Turbocharger
11-65-7-620-507 SCREW CLAMP:11609965 Turbocharger Inlet Clamp - Exhaust Manifold to Turbocharger

11-53-7-577-014 RETURN HOSE:115050 Water Outlet Pipe
11-53-7-578-687 HOSE, INLET:115050 Water Inlet Pipe
11-53-7-577-013 HOSE, INLET:115050 Water Inlet Pipe
11-53-7-577-015 RETURN HOSE:115050 Water Outlet Pipe
11-15-1-726-339 HOSE CLAMP:889520 Hose Clamp - 17.8-21 mm Range / 7 mm Width (Crimp Type)
07-11-9-963-201 GASKET RING:078500 Copper Washer - 14 X 18 X 1.5 mm - Turbocharger Coolant Hose
13-71-7-577-452 FILTERED AIR DUCT:13709971 Upper Duct
13-71-7-577-451 FILTERED AIR DUCT:13709971 Upper Duct
13-71-8-655-216 GASKET:138520 Upper Duct Gasket
13-71-7-581-616 HOSE CLAMP:889520 Inner Duct Hose Clamp
64-50-8-375-741 GASKET RING:889520 Pressure Hose O-Ring
17-12-7-576-363 VENT PIPE:171040 Water Hose - Upper Radiator Hose to Cylinder Head
64-53-8-375-742 GASKET RING:889520 Suction Hose O-Ring
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #400
550bye
Private
550bye's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2011 550i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

If you want a diagram of the other stuff, let me know and I can send you diagrams of those tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #401
Drez1985
New Member
3
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. They already had everything apart seems like I got shafted with price for the few parts they replaced.
Appreciate 1
550bye24.50

      05-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #402
Racktacular
Registered
2
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: All Kinds
Join Date: May 2019
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (0)

Wow...I'm new to BMW and was looking into a 2013 550i. However after reading all the posts with the N63 issues, I'm absolutely freaked about trying to purchase it. Time to educate myself more...
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop673.00

      05-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #403
Profssor
New Member
20
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 550i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

I own one... and you are right to be freaked out. Look for a 535.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racktacular View Post
Wow...I'm new to BMW and was looking into a 2013 550i. However after reading all the posts with the N63 issues, I'm absolutely freaked about trying to purchase it. Time to educate myself more...
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop673.00

      05-22-2019, 01:45 AM   #404
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
Kyngofpop's Avatar
United_States
673
Rep
368
Posts

Drives: BMW 4
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racktacular View Post
Wow...I'm new to BMW and was looking into a 2013 550i. However after reading all the posts with the N63 issues, I'm absolutely freaked about trying to purchase it. Time to educate myself more...
Do your research dude...look thru my posts and you'll see from another bmw nOOb that the v8 is pure trash and heartbreak. Don't do it. 535 all the way...
__________________
Janet Jackson Unbreakable World Tour
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #405
apaolo1993
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW X5 50i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Angry UGHHHHH!!!!!

Thanks for the insight. So here's my update:

Replaced all 8 plugs at Jiffy lube for $300, then proceeded to fail the oil consumption test miserably. They said i needed a full engine replacement + some hoses that are leaking but not included in the replacement, so it's going to cost me a grand total of $3,800 for the engine and hoses (i'm at 77k mi). They then tried to tell me that my car was fine to drive so they are putting it back together and giving it back to me until my new engine comes in. When i said, well what about when the oil light comes on again? They responded with you can just bring it back in to get topped off. Mind you, i am in need of oil every week and a half. So, they basically want me to Pay $4k to fix their issue, and while they're doing that, take time out of work every week and a half to drive a half hour to the dealership to get it topped off, not to mention anything else that could go wrong because of this issue that magically "won't be covered".

I called BMWNA and they are looking into getting a rental approved for me, but does anyone have any insight into the rental issue? They won't let me keep the X5 loaner i have because it's a BMWNA issue and not the independent dealership's, which i get, but now i'm out over $4k for this nightmare, it's not going to increase the value of the car at all and i'm already paying the max i can afford on a car as it is. I had 3 mercedes' before this, and this was my first BMW. Must say, Mercs are looking miiiighty fine right about now. Too bad i won't be able to afford one because this one is putting me further into debt.......
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:53 PM   #406
550bye
Private
550bye's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2011 550i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaolo1993 View Post
Thanks for the insight. So here's my update:

Replaced all 8 plugs at Jiffy lube for $300, then proceeded to fail the oil consumption test miserably. They said i needed a full engine replacement + some hoses that are leaking but not included in the replacement, so it's going to cost me a grand total of $3,800 for the engine and hoses (i'm at 77k mi). They then tried to tell me that my car was fine to drive so they are putting it back together and giving it back to me until my new engine comes in. When i said, well what about when the oil light comes on again? They responded with you can just bring it back in to get topped off. Mind you, i am in need of oil every week and a half. So, they basically want me to Pay $4k to fix their issue, and while they're doing that, take time out of work every week and a half to drive a half hour to the dealership to get it topped off, not to mention anything else that could go wrong because of this issue that magically "won't be covered".

I called BMWNA and they are looking into getting a rental approved for me, but does anyone have any insight into the rental issue? They won't let me keep the X5 loaner i have because it's a BMWNA issue and not the independent dealership's, which i get, but now i'm out over $4k for this nightmare, it's not going to increase the value of the car at all and i'm already paying the max i can afford on a car as it is. I had 3 mercedes' before this, and this was my first BMW. Must say, Mercs are looking miiiighty fine right about now. Too bad i won't be able to afford one because this one is putting me further into debt.......
Well I didn't need an engine replacement but in my case I was given a loaner (I think it was a 340iX GT) and I kept it for the full duration of my repairs almost 3 weeks. For an engine replacement I am sure you will probably have it much longer so I would just keep working with BMWNA and escalate it to a field agent (I think that is what his job title was).

Even though I have had an issue with Oil Consumption and Valve Stems, I still love my car. The 550/N63 has its issues but when they run with no issues they are a blast. My old 528xi was a fun car but it was more of a family car, my 550 is a other type of animal. With as good as it runs right now I wouldn't trade it for anything else (except an M5 of course).

I get it, they have a large amount of issues across a mass amount of owners, but alot of cars have their issues. My buddy has a 2014 E63 S and he has had faulty purge valve, intake manifold gasket, extreme tire wear, some oil consumption issues, head bolts and so on. Another buddy had a ton of issues with his STi and another still have issues with his Evo but a buddy that has no issues at all with his Audi S4. Some people will never have an issue whereas others will have every problem in the book.

All I can say is if I bought another N63 I would definitely take it in and have it ran through and get a complete list of all the issues before I bought it. A couple of $135 "World Class Inspections" could save you alot of money and headaches in the end. But would I trade my 550 for a 535, no. Nothing against 535's but stock for stock there is no comparison and before I bought mine I test drove every flavor. Don't get me wrong, I am not the baddest 5 around, I am sure there are plenty of 535's that could take my lunch all day but if I had done what they have/had done then I am positive I would leave them in my rear view (said with the upmost respect , I love 5's and wouldn't buy anything else).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #407
apaolo1993
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW X5 50i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550bye View Post
Well I didn't need an engine replacement but in my case I was given a loaner (I think it was a 340iX GT) and I kept it for the full duration of my repairs almost 3 weeks. For an engine replacement I am sure you will probably have it much longer so I would just keep working with BMWNA and escalate it to a field agent (I think that is what his job title was).

Even though I have had an issue with Oil Consumption and Valve Stems, I still love my car. The 550/N63 has its issues but when they run with no issues they are a blast. My old 528xi was a fun car but it was more of a family car, my 550 is a other type of animal. With as good as it runs right now I wouldn't trade it for anything else (except an M5 of course).

I get it, they have a large amount of issues across a mass amount of owners, but alot of cars have their issues. My buddy has a 2014 E63 S and he has had faulty purge valve, intake manifold gasket, extreme tire wear, some oil consumption issues, head bolts and so on. Another buddy had a ton of issues with his STi and another still have issues with his Evo but a buddy that has no issues at all with his Audi S4. Some people will never have an issue whereas others will have every problem in the book.

All I can say is if I bought another N63 I would definitely take it in and have it ran through and get a complete list of all the issues before I bought it. A couple of $135 "World Class Inspections" could save you alot of money and headaches in the end. But would I trade my 550 for a 535, no. Nothing against 535's but stock for stock there is no comparison and before I bought mine I test drove every flavor. Don't get me wrong, I am not the baddest 5 around, I am sure there are plenty of 535's that could take my lunch all day but if I had done what they have/had done then I am positive I would leave them in my rear view (said with the upmost respect , I love 5's and wouldn't buy anything else).

I know what you mean. Nobody is perfect. Just hurts to work so hard to finally get the car you want and it ends up being a nightmare. Though i will say, it's not all lost. I do now have a Tesla Model S as a rental for the next 2+months. BMW approved $40/day and since it's extended rental i got it down to $40/day for the Tesla. The only bump i'm going to run into is it's $40/day for the car, but there are also taxes and fees so when the bill comes in to BMW, i wonder if they are going to give me issues with that. Guess we'll see in time. Either way the taxes/fees end up being like $200/mo and i was spending $350/mo on gas for my X5. Will keep you all posted!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #408
550bye
Private
550bye's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2011 550i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaolo1993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550bye View Post
Well I didn't need an engine replacement but in my case I was given a loaner (I think it was a 340iX GT) and I kept it for the full duration of my repairs almost 3 weeks. For an engine replacement I am sure you will probably have it much longer so I would just keep working with BMWNA and escalate it to a field agent (I think that is what his job title was).

Even though I have had an issue with Oil Consumption and Valve Stems, I still love my car. The 550/N63 has its issues but when they run with no issues they are a blast. My old 528xi was a fun car but it was more of a family car, my 550 is a other type of animal. With as good as it runs right now I wouldn't trade it for anything else (except an M5 of course).

I get it, they have a large amount of issues across a mass amount of owners, but alot of cars have their issues. My buddy has a 2014 E63 S and he has had faulty purge valve, intake manifold gasket, extreme tire wear, some oil consumption issues, head bolts and so on. Another buddy had a ton of issues with his STi and another still have issues with his Evo but a buddy that has no issues at all with his Audi S4. Some people will never have an issue whereas others will have every problem in the book.

All I can say is if I bought another N63 I would definitely take it in and have it ran through and get a complete list of all the issues before I bought it. A couple of $135 "World Class Inspections" could save you alot of money and headaches in the end. But would I trade my 550 for a 535, no. Nothing against 535's but stock for stock there is no comparison and before I bought mine I test drove every flavor. Don't get me wrong, I am not the baddest 5 around, I am sure there are plenty of 535's that could take my lunch all day but if I had done what they have/had done then I am positive I would leave them in my rear view (said with the upmost respect , I love 5's and wouldn't buy anything else).

I know what you mean. Nobody is perfect. Just hurts to work so hard to finally get the car you want and it ends up being a nightmare. Though i will say, it's not all lost. I do now have a Tesla Model S as a rental for the next 2+months. BMW approved $40/day and since it's extended rental i got it down to $40/day for the Tesla. The only bump i'm going to run into is it's $40/day for the car, but there are also taxes and fees so when the bill comes in to BMW, i wonder if they are going to give me issues with that. Guess we'll see in time. Either way the taxes/fees end up being like $200/mo and i was spending $350/mo on gas for my X5. Will keep you all posted!
That's good, glad it's at least working out for you. Wish you the best and can't wait until you are back on the road in your own (even though the Tesla is pretty cool). Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #409
Profssor
New Member
20
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 550i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

By way of a brief update. I just hit the 1,000 mile mark after BMW paid to replace the entire motor and everything that received oil from the engine (turbochargers, coolers, lines, etc.) on my 2013 540i M Sport. I am pleased to report that my 550i has been running rock solid with no issues. After getting it back with a new engine, I have bled the brakes, replaced the differential fluid, and changed the transmission fluid and filter. Next up is replacing the HVAC blower fan, which is making odd noises due (most likely) to leaves or other foreign objects (like the crappy factory foam filter designed to keep out leaves, and which turns brittle and then enters the fan squirrel cage, creating awful sounds at high rpms). I will likely dig into the blower motor tomorrow. The only other potential issue remaining is replacing the starter. It is making a “clanging” noise about once every 30 or so starts, so it is only a matter of time until it fails. I am seriously hoping that taking care of this car will mitigate some of the potential failure modes.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #410
Speenybean
Private First Class
18
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 15 Xdrive 50i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racktacular View Post
Wow...I'm new to BMW and was looking into a 2013 550i. However after reading all the posts with the N63 issues, I'm absolutely freaked about trying to purchase it. Time to educate myself more...
Do your research dude...look thru my posts and you'll see from another bmw nOOb that the v8 is pure trash and heartbreak. Don't do it. 535 all the way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racktacular View Post
Wow...I'm new to BMW and was looking into a 2013 550i. However after reading all the posts with the N63 issues, I'm absolutely freaked about trying to purchase it. Time to educate myself more...
Do your research dude...look thru my posts and you'll see from another bmw nOOb that the v8 is pure trash and heartbreak. Don't do it. 535 all the way...
I have a 2015 X5 50i with 48k mikes and the truck has been absolutely flawless. No probablems whatsoever with the engine
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #411
Lctatlp
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: Bmw 650i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

N63 lawsuit is only for certain years. Up to 2012 with the 650i I recently learned. I just bought my dream car a few months ago and it burns a quart of oil every 500 miles.

Hopefully bmw will step up. I'll be bringing it to bmw dealer to see what's up.
Is bmw North America a different company?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #412
MaryKC
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

My car is still a mess. Just found out about CCP and lawsuit. Apparently injectors were replaced at 25,000 miles, now at 77k, they said it's the problem. No way!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #413
XLife14
Private First Class
24
Rep
103
Posts

Drives: 2014 X5 xLine 2012 535i M
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I don't get how people buy these cars with NO prior research then are shocked to learned bout the vast issues with the N63 and recall. It seems people research after purchase lol
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #414
ezaircon4jc
Colonel
United_States
786
Rep
2,708
Posts

Drives: 2014 535i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLife14 View Post
I don't get how people buy these cars with NO prior research then are shocked to learned bout the vast issues with the N63 and recall. It seems people research after purchase lol
I was totally going to purchase a 550 UNTIL I came here and the other enthusiast site. Considering the driving I was doing at the time and the total lack of legal opportunity to use the extra power, I opted for the 535. In the 4 years I've had a 535 I have never been wanting for the extra power and I'm loving the 31+ mpg on the freeway; in-town mpg is also pretty good. Would the 550 be fun? Oh yeah! Is it worth it, to me, to be anxious every time we planned a road trip? Not in the slightest. Were BMW to make a V8 as reliable as the I6 I would still get the I6.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #415
XLife14
Private First Class
24
Rep
103
Posts

Drives: 2014 X5 xLine 2012 535i M
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I was totally going to purchase a 550 UNTIL I came here and the other enthusiast site. Considering the driving I was doing at the time and the total lack of legal opportunity to use the extra power, I opted for the 535. In the 4 years I've had a 535 I have never been wanting for the extra power and I'm loving the 31+ mpg on the freeway; in-town mpg is also pretty good. Would the 550 be fun? Oh yeah! Is it worth it, to me, to be anxious every time we planned a road trip? Not in the slightest. Were BMW to make a V8 as reliable as the I6 I would still get the I6.
You sir are a smart man...I made the same decision based on similar reasoning. I wish BMW could make a reliable V8 like Mercedes, M278 for example is awesome!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST