2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Quietest Tyres?

08-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #1
RobManser
Rep
Drives: 2016 530d M Sport

Quietest Tyres?

I've just bought my first 5 series, a 2014 F10 530d M Sport. I'm extremely pleased with it, but there is one negative: it's just so noisy when cruising at 60-70mph, which annoyingly is what I spend most of my 25,000 miles a year doing. At low speeds the F10 is significantly quieter than my last car, an E90, it's just when up to speed that the noise starts. I'd originally looked at replacing the E90 with an F30, but that was even worse than the F10 (quiet at low speed but it howled on the motorway), thus me getting the F10 because of its greater refinement.

I'm guessing the culprit is the tyres, because the F10 has such fantastic refinement at low speeds. My E90 ran 205/55/R16 tyres, so the nice slim tyres didn't make much noise, and the big sidewalls absorbed much of it. The F10 runs 275/35/R19 at the rear and 245/40/R19 at the front; both run flats (Michelin Primacy at the front, Goodyear Excellence at the rear).

With my E90's 205/55/16 tyres I experimented with RFTs and non-RFTs and much preferred the RFTs. I found the softer sidewalls made the E90 ride and handle like a large luxury car - all the precision was gone and the car felt under-damped in primary and secondary ride. Even my wife noticed it from the passenger seat. I'm worried if I switch to non-RFTs that the F10 will similarly become softer and more wallowy (which I definitely don't want, it's got more than enough of that for me!).

I'm in the UK, so it's EU law for all tyres to be sold with an official noise rating, but the noise is measured externally for environmental reasons and has no relation to the sound inside the car, so I haven't got a clue which tyres to buy. Can anyone recommend a quiet tyre? I don't want a softer ride, and I'm also not really bothered about grip or traction, or even cost; I just want the car to be quieter at speed.

Edited to add some figures: I used a noise app on my iPhone to measure about 66-67dB in my E90 at 70mph on a stretch of dual carriageway near where I live. My F10 measures about 80dB on the same stretch. That's over double the volume.

Last edited by RobManser; 08-23-2019 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0