2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion 9/11 - Where were you and what did you think?

09-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
9/11 - Where were you and what did you think?

I thought I'd approach 9/11 from a different angle today. I'm remembering where I was, who I was with, and what I was doing on that terrible day.

I was at a team meeting when I was a sales rep for a Ginormous pharma company at a local Starbucks that's no longer in existence. We were just settling into the meeting with the TV in the upper corner of the restaurant and a morning show was on which was cut in to show an image of the first plane hitting. We were all transfixed as the repeat showed the same thing again in the split screen shot as the talking head was going. Shortly thereafter the second aircraft hit and silence descended on the room. At that point everyone asked if it was real and the news that there may have been another aircraft in LA was the first of many unsubstantiated rumors.

In the next 30 minutes we all got calls from our respective managers telling us to go home and await word from the Ginormous Pharma Giant.

We didn't. We repaired to a local cigar bar who's retail area opens up at 8:30 in the morning but the owner, a dear friend opened the bar for everyone to commiserate. By noon, the bar was pretty full and only got more crowded with the news on all of the monitors.

I think I stayed up for the next 36 hours watching the feed. Not a good time.

RIP all the murder victims of the terrorist on that horrible day and may the survivors and their families have lasting peace.

Sincerely-mk

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 7
      09-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

I was at a Criminal Investigation course at the Toronto Police College, we were very quickly all sent back to our units as the entire downtown of Toronto was being shut down and office towers were being evacuated. I was assigned to the largest downtown division at the time and much of the force was redeployed to my division. Transit was blanketed and with us and I believe eventually closed down once the downtown core was evacuated. It was surreal, a virtual ghost town by early afternoon.

I'll never forget, and often think about the NYPD & NYFD first responders. Toronto Police Service has close ties to the NYPD, they were strengthen that day.

40 Canadians died in the twin towers, a terrible act of terrorism not to be forgotten.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer14487.50
HFW0031835.50

09-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
I was in my office at a Texas state agency, when someone was going down the hall shouting that a plane had hit a building in New York. We went to the conference room to turn on the TV and watched as the scene horrifically unfolded in front of us. I will never forget watching the towers collapse and thinking of the humanity lost as they fell in a pile of rubble and dust.

Having spent a year in combat in SEA and watched plenty of bombs explode, nothing there prepared me for what I watched on TV on 9/11/2001. We should never forget.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"

Last edited by SakhirM4; 09-11-2019 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 4
MKSixer14487.50
HFW0031835.50

09-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

I was in elementary school and remember getting a piece of paper that confused me. but my Dad was opening a pharmacy a few blocks from the towers when it happened. He watched the second plane hit. Had a huge effect on him.
Hebrews 4:12
Appreciate 5
MKSixer14487.50
David0ff814.00
HFW0031835.50

09-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Rep
Drives: Magic Carpet

I remember everything from that morning vividly. At the time, I was working second shift and the wife was working first. I had only been awake for a few minutes and was prepping breakfast for my two sons, who were 1 & 2 at the time, when the mother-in-law calls. As soon as I answered, she interrupted my "hello" with a frantic "We're under attack!" Although she was accurate in her wording, she is a bit dramatic considering we live in TN. She told me to turn on the TV and let her know if I needed anything or help with the boys. My initial reaction was fear for my children and their well being.....coupled along with disbelief. I got the boys settled with their breakfast and I snuck into the bedroom, while they ate, to watch the news, reports and video of the planes crashing as not to upset or alarm them in anyway.

It was a very surreal morning indeed.

Enough gratitude can never be given, to those who risked their lives that day, to save as many of the victims as possible and to those who still suffer the aftermath of their heroism. RIP to those who perished in the attacks.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer14487.50
HFW0031835.50

09-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
I was in a 3rd interview for a job when we were told to leave the building (in Dallas). We were supposed to leave for Seattle 3 days previously but had postponed the trip for this interview.
We watched news the rest of the day.

God bless all the victims.
HFW0031835.50

09-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

I just returned from a deployment, was enjoying some R&R. Then shortly after the first impact I received a call and was directed to report for duty and so back I went.
I knew right away that life as I knew it was changed for ever, no deployemnt or mission would be the same.

Last edited by Violator; 09-11-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 7
MKSixer14487.50
David0ff814.00
Run Silent11781.50
HFW0031835.50
GERMAN M31468.50

09-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
cmyx6go
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6 ///M

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
It was a hell week for me at work. My largest customer had recently been sold and the new ownership decided to bid out the business with national companies.

The deadline was Friday. We had been locked in the conference room strategizing, writing and developing our bid response. This was huge for us, we were fighting for our lives (I know that sounds dramatic, especially in this context, but you get it).

I was driving to work that morning, coming over a bridge in NJ. It was a beautiful, clear sky and traffic was pretty light. All of sudden as I hit the crest of the bridge, people starting nailing their brakes for no apparent reason. I hear on the radio that a plane hit the world trade center. I'm thinking how bizarre is that, it's a beautiful clear day. I continue on my way.

I get to the deli where I go for coffee and they say a 2nd plane hit. I immediately thought this is really bad and it was intentional. I get to the office, the TV in the foyer is on showing the chaos. We gather in the conference room and try to focus. Iíll never forget seeing the first tower crumble. And then the second.

We are the only local company participating in this bid. My customer and the other bid participants are all out of towners and no one seems to care about what is going on in NYC, DC and PA so the bid deadline remains. I was in the conference room until almost midnight. Torn between saying F this, and doing what I have to do to in order to preserve my business. It was so surreal. Driving home there was literally no one on the road as I headed south. There was a steady line of emergency vehicles heading north to the city. The sirens, the smoke, the tears....
Run Silent11781.50
Now_Rudi5986.50
lakefront183.50
SakhirM49400.00
HFW0031835.50

09-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
lakefront
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Two old Bimmers

Was at work and heard about a plane hitting the World Trade Center Tower...I thought it must be a small plane lost in fog or something. Got on a computer just in time to hear about the other tower being hit. Ok, no accident here. Spent the next few hours jumping from one news feed to another....not very productive.
What I remember the most is how that was the last time this country was united about anything. I remember virtually every house suddenly flying an American flag.....for a few weeks anyway. Breaks my heart to see how far we have fallen from those days.
SakhirM49400.00
HFW0031835.50
2000cs957.50

09-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
tcphoto
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT Coupe

I was at home working on emails, reading the news online and I saw a mention of a small plane hitting one of the towers. I turned on the tv in time to see the second plane hit and just sat there all day watching the events unfold. I lived in a loft about half a mile from the Georgia Dome in Atlanta and down the street from CNN.

09-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #11
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

I was running my usual 10-15 minutes late for early morning law school class (Arbitration particularly) and heard it on the radio. Didn't think a lot of it until I reached break room to drop off lunch, that's when I saw the second aircraft hit the tower (lots of tvs in there). I was the only person in the break room at the time seeing as classes were going on but I knew right away what was up. Went to my class where the teacher welcomed my tardiness, to which I replied history was occurring at this moment akin to Pearl Harbor, and class should be dismissed so all could witness it. Nobody knew wtf I was talking about, the professor looked at me like I was high on drugs, but whatever. I turned right around and watched the rest of it happen in the break room until the second tower fell down then I left.

Certainly a memorable day, what I remember quite vividly was absolutely no aircraft in the sky nor jet engine noises that day of the incident.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer14487.50
HFW0031835.50

09-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #12
hubbahubba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

In 2001 I was a foreman for a framing contractor, and was building a house in Gold Canyon, Az. My entire crew spoke Spanish, not English, and my rule was that I controlled the radio for my favorite morning show, then they could play what they wanted. After the first plane hit, I was trying to tell them what had happened, and wondering how such a thing could even happen. After the second plane hit, I told them it was a day that would change the world forever. I kept it on my station for the rest of the day. My sons, who were 8 and 10, stayed home from school and watched on tv all day with my wife. They have vivid memories of that day, and I am glad that they will not forget.

Fast forward to this morning. After I lowered the flag at my current business, I snapped this pic. Never forget.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
MKSixer14487.50
HFW0031835.50
GERMAN M31468.50

09-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #13
AlpineWhite_SJ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I started getting phone calls/text messages while getting ready for work sometime between the 1st and 2nd plane hitting the towers and immediately turned on the tv. The County of Sacramento agency I was working for at the time declared they would stay open to send a signal of normalcy to our community, so I had to go in to the office. No one did much in the way of work - in between a portable TV and the web, everyone was glued to the news. I just remember a very deep sense that the world had changed forever, and not for the better.

I also remember getting pulled over by a motorcycle cop on my lunch break for no front plate and wondering WTF was up with people's priorities....
HFW0031835.50

09-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #14
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Still too deep for me to discuss
Appreciate 5
HFW0031835.50
MKSixer14487.50
lakefront183.50
Poiseuille2894.00
jgoens3534.00

09-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #15
HFW003
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY19 LBB M2 Comp

On the other side of the world it was about 10.30 at night from memory.

My Wife and I were trying to get our nearly one year old Son to go to sleep, he must of known something was wrong!

We had the TV on in the background on Fox News and I remember looking at the image of a plane flying into the second tower. Oh fuck was the immediate reaction.

We stayed up for a few hours thinking all the time what has happened to the world and what is going to happen to our Son. We thought something was going to happen in other parts of the world, including our own.

I cannot imagine how it must have been for all my American friends and for all directly impacted it must have been shattering.

We are lucky enough to have visited the site and even that was harrowing but so very well done and a credit to all those who lost their lives.

Lest we forget!
Appreciate 6
MKSixer14487.50
SakhirM49400.00
2000cs957.50
jgoens3534.00
wdb1462.00

09-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #16
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I was off from work on vacation for 9/11. The SCCA Nationals were taking place that week in Kansas, and my run group was Thursday/Friday. My plan was to leave home early Tuesday (9/11), drive through the night to Kansas, and then check in for registration and tech inspection on Wednesday. I guess it bears mentioning that I was living near the Hudson River about 60 miles north of NYC at the time.

As I was walking to the car with my travel bag, I saw a passenger jet flying at about 1,200 feet flying south down the river valley. I thought that it was odd, because it was straight across the approach to the large international airport a few miles away.

When I got in the car, the local rock station had a businessperson on the air by cell phone saying that he had just witnessed a King Air turboprop hit the WTC. News started to flow in over their wire sources with conflicting information at times, and I basically listened to the entire thing unfold while driving west on different radio stations.

By the time that I reached the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Carlisle, they had portable message boards advising that roads were closed into NYC. I was passed by several speeding cars/vans with New York "NYP" (press) license plates, heading out to Somerset where Flight 93 crashed.

When I got to Columbus, Ohio for a gas stop, panic buying had raised the price to almost $5.00/gallon.

Driving through the night with no planes visible was eery. Passing Lambert International in St. Louis and not seeing anything moving whatsoever was surreal. The only thing that I saw in the air that entire night was a lone helicopter flying low along I-70 heading east.

When I arrived in Kansas, I was told that the military shut down Nationals on Tuesday and gave everyone 20 minutes to break down their paddock spaces and leave Forbes Field. After finding out that registration/tech wasn't happening, I checked into my hotel.

Since I had been driving the entire time and only had the radio for news, the hotel room TV was the first time that I actually saw the towers collapse. I had been driving/awake for 30+ hours at this point, and couldn't turn off the TV to take a nap. It wasn't until this time that I saw the maps of the planes and realized that the strange one I had seen before leaving home on Tuesday was headed for the WTC!!!

The military finally decided to let Nationals use one of the two courses that were set up on Thursday/Friday, and used the second course as a buffer area between them and the KC-10 tankers further down the ramp. So, we only had one day of driving and not two, but we got it done. Oh, and with armed soldiers watching the perimeter. I learned just a few years ago when speaking to a person who was in the White House bunker for 9/11 that the reason for the quick boot of Nationals was because Air Force One was in the air and that airport was being secured in case they needed to land.

In my race car hauler, I have an old/expired portable air tank with the Nationals event sticker on it. My wife asks me why I don't toss the expired tank. I told her to look at the date on that sticker...and never forget.....
lakefront183.50
MKSixer14487.50
scostu1065.50

09-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #17
AlpineWhite_SJ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Oh and by the way - thanks to OP for the post to remind me there’s a difference between remembering and "never forget". I’ve never forgotten but can’t say I have truly "remembered" on every anniversary.

Spent some time with the kids explaining 9/11, watching original news clips, what it meant, and what it still means to their everyday lives.
MKSixer14487.50
tcphoto551.00
scostu1065.50
GERMAN M31468.50

09-12-2019, 06:30 AM   #18
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
I just want to say thank you to all who shared their experiences and memories from that day. Hitting the appreciate button just doesn't seem right to me personally. So thank you for sharing.

Have a good day, everyone.
tet0010.00

09-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #19
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I just want to say thank you to all who shared their experiences and memories from that day. Hitting the appreciate button just doesn't seem right to me personally. So thank you for sharing.

Have a good day, everyone.
Well said.
Thanks for sharing to all that participated and to all that read, as well.
Have a good day.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go2071.50

09-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #20
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
No 9/11 discussion on a BMW forum should forget Linda Gronlund and Joe DeLuca. Both were active SCCA leaders in our area, and perished on Flight 93. They were on that flight because Linda was Manager of Environmental Compliance for BMW North America, and she was going on a business trip to California that day followed by a planned vacation.....
      09-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #21
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

Appreciate 1
vreihen16597.50

09-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #22
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Wow, just wow. I can't even imagine the rest of your story that day.