2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications BMW 550i F07 LSD(limited slip differentail) and Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

07-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
Taynice87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i Gran Turismo

BMW 550i F07 LSD(limited slip differentail) and Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

I'm going to be maybe the 1st to install an LSD in to my 550i GT and also getting a custom made Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for my 550i GT with these two upgrades I'll be able to put down more HP and TQ I know this for a fact I've researched this a lot I've already purchased all the components just wAiting for things to come in

On the Road to getting 600whp and 600wtq

http://www.birdsauto.com/quaife/sear...373&mi=550i+GT

They also have 550i F10 available I think it's a no brainer 2wheels is always better than 1wheel

Don't need any opinions about this and that with LSD and Carbon Fiber driveshaft these upgrades are very beneficial I actually went to the UK to ask questions and test drive a 550i with LSD Damn this car is fast (stock) it's a night and day difference
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynice87 View Post
Don't need any opinions about this
so why post if you don't want any opinions
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Meh Im honestly not wasting my time with my N63, now if it was a TU then yea.

I do like that idea of the LSD, Id love to try one out.
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
Taynice87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
so why post if you don't want any opinions
I wasn't being serious at all I actually wanted some opinions
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't being serious at all I actually wanted some opinions
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Taynice87
United_States
Rep

What do you think about these upgrades
Isturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
MattPro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

With an LSD and carbon fiber driveshaft you shouldn't be putting down a more noticeable amount of power. With the driveshaft you are reducing the mass of the shaft so you might gain a little there, but the LSD will only change your power delivery, not increase power.

If you get a shorter ratio than stock you will feel an increase in acceleration, but you will be cruising at a higher RPM in your max gear. However, the car will corner much better and accelerate much smoother if you lose traction. And you can rip sweet burnouts. But don't get your hopes up for power.

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^^^^^^

What he said
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Taynice87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPro
With an LSD and carbon fiber driveshaft you shouldn't be putting down a more noticeable amount of power. With the driveshaft you are reducing the mass of the shaft so you might gain a little there, but the LSD will only change your power delivery, not increase power.

If you get a shorter ratio than stock you will feel an increase in acceleration, but you will be cruising at a higher RPM in your max gear. However, the car will corner much better and accelerate much smoother if you lose traction. And you can rip sweet burnouts. But don't get your hopes up for power.
I know for a fact you do put down more Horsepower and Torque I've seen it with my own eyes yes you go to less rotation mass but you gain more power to the wheels its way better efficient than the standard BMW equipment I'm not saying it's large numbers but it's more than 20 hp and TQ plus putting down that power to both wheels give you a way better acceleration the company BIRDS in UK did a lot of different test
Before and After and the after results were amazing so having a LSD and carbon fiber driveshaft is a big benefit from what I saw while the 550i was being tested with the components installed
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #10
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

The only way you'll see a "power gain" on a dyno by installing an LSD is if you change to a shorter gear ratio and thus multiply torque to the wheels in the process.

Isn't the factory driveshaft aluminum? I can't imagine the carbon fiber one being enough lighter to feel any difference. Yes it is rotational mass but the rotational radius is short....
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
Taynice87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück
The only way you'll see a "power gain" on a dyno by installing an LSD is if you change to a shorter gear ratio and thus multiply torque to the wheels in the process.

Isn't the factory driveshaft aluminum? I can't imagine the carbon fiber one being enough lighter to feel any difference. Yes it is rotational mass but the rotational radius is short....
Well that's your Opinion I'm talking about this was in shop before and after test were done and there were some gains in HP and TQ I'm just saying what I saw with my own eyes and I can see very good 20/20 I didn't say it was a high gain but I know there were gains and it didn't have a shorter gear ratio either it did accelerate a lot faster by just being bone stock I saw a big difference from driving it without the parts to when the parts were installed
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #12
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

It not an opinion when you actually know what you're talking about. I work on BMW's for a living, I've spent the last ~18 years doing so.

There will be absolutely no difference in straight line acceleration with the simple addition of an LSD over an open diff.

The only way you're going to accelerate faster is the initial off the line from a stand still burst -IF- you were blowing the tires off with the open diff, and the LSD allows you to find traction.

All other things equal an LSD doesn't make the car any faster to accelerate once you're moving. One might argue that the rotating mass of the LSD is actually significantly heavier than the open diff too...

How many LSD's have you built? I've built & installed dozens.

Again, facts not opinions here.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #13
Taynice87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück
It not an opinion when you actually know what you're talking about. I work on BMW's for a living, I've spent the last ~18 years doing so.

There will be absolutely no difference in straight line acceleration with the simple addition of an LSD over an open diff.

The only way you're going to accelerate faster is the initial off the line from a stand still burst -IF- you were blowing the tires off with the open diff, and the LSD allows you to find traction.

All other things equal an LSD doesn't make the car any faster to accelerate once you're moving. One might argue that the rotating mass of the LSD is actually significantly heavier than the open diff too...

How many LSD's have you built? I've built & installed dozens.

Again, facts not opinions here.
Look point blank I know what I saw before and after testing was done ok I know there were gains point blank I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with you so goody for your ass on installing a dozen LSD WoW that's so amazing ok I'm not trying to prove anything to you what so ever ok I'm going with these up grades because I know the results from another 550i you have good got dang night people these days get there freaking panties ruffled about words and my opinion ha this shit is so funny watch how the response is LoL
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #14
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Not just installed, but built.... again how many LSD's have you torn down and put back together? Do you understand how they work? If you did you're know why there are no magical power gains or acceleration gains from them.

Manipulating dynometer data is fundamentally simple. Ask any dyno operator, they will tell you how simply data can be skewed.

There are no ruffled panties in my house, I prefer lace. That said I'm just trying to offer you some wisdom. Accept it if you will or just disregard and blow your money. Either way it doesn't affect me.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 06:56 AM   #15
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

^^^ Agree...

You should take those dyno's with the grain of salt. Were the dyno runs done at the same day, same conditions, same parameters? I have seen dyno runs of the same car under the same conditions and minutes from each other (with proper cool down) but with 4-6% gain or loss. Force induction cars can be tricky at the dyno and if you know what you are doing it can be pretty easy to manipulate with things to achieve desired results.

Quote:
Look point blank I know what I saw before and after testing was done ok I know there were gains point blank I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with you so goody for your ass on installing a dozen LSD WoW that's so amazing ok I'm not trying to prove anything to you what so ever ok I'm going with these up grades because I know the results from another 550i you have good got dang night people these days get there freaking panties ruffled about words and my opinion ha this shit is so funny watch how the response is LoL
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #16
Taynice87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
^^^ Agree...

You should take those dyno's with the grain of salt. Were the dyno runs done at the same day, same conditions, same parameters? I have seen dyno runs of the same car under the same conditions and minutes from each other (with proper cool down) but with 4-6% gain or loss. Force induction cars can be tricky at the dyno and if you know what you are doing it can be pretty easy to manipulate with things to achieve desired results.
I'm going to take this into consideration everything that you have said to try and better spend my money on upgrades thanks for the advice I appreciate very much
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #17
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

Pretty sure that if gaining 20 whp and 20 wtq was usual for a simple driveshaft upgrade, you'd see everybody and their mama doing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #18
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

No problem. If I were you , I would start with getting light-weight wheels (such as Apex ARC-8) and some nice sticky non-run flat tires. You will improve your MPGs, acceleration and ride guaranteed. Also, because of the radius of rotational mass, upgrading to light-weight wheels and tires is more beneficial than getting a light-weight driveshaft.

Quote:
I'm going to take this into consideration everything that you have said to try and better spend my money on upgrades thanks for the advice I appreciate very much

Last edited by Sedoy; 07-07-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #19
Taynice87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy
No problem. If I were you , I would start with getting light-weight wheels (such as Apex ARC-8) and some nice sticky non-run flat tires. You will improve your MPGs, acceleration and ride guaranteed. Also, because of the radius of rotational mass, upgrading to light-weight wheels and tires is more beneficial than getting a light-weight driveshaft.

Quote:

Ok I'm going to start with that route there lightweight wheels I guess I'll get the forged wheels that are like 25 to 29 pounds any other recommendations that would help I'm open to and willing to listen
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #20
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:

Yup and way cheaper with many more benefits.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #21
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok I'm going to start with that route there lightweight wheels I guess I'll get the forged wheels that are like 25 to 29 pounds any other recommendations that would help I'm open to and willing to listen
If performance is your goal, it's a pretty standard list:
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #22
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
If performance is your goal, it's a pretty standard list:
Heavy stock wheels and run flats need to go, I had 20 lbs wheels and Hankook v12 tires a shaving off about 30 lbs per wheel/tire.
Appreciate 1