2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Alternatives for OEM suspension parts.

05-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Alternatives for OEM suspension parts.

My rear coil spring has rusted and broken (towards the very bottom, where it's attached to the strut), and my local mechanic (who has done great work for me and who I trust) says that, at least based on photo I sent him, struts look pretty rusty as well and is probably good idea to change it all together given the age of the car. There are no issues with the struts that either of us are aware of - just yet. He also recommends and uses OEM parts, which I always liked and appreciated.

Usually my approach is "right thing to do", and am leaning towards just doing it all, instead of only replacing broken coil springs on both sides, but of course this is where it starts getting quite expensive.

I suppose all to be expected on 2011 vehicle given all the salt on the roads in my area, and also yes, I know parts for these vehicles are not cheap. Price we pay for ownership of these cars, I get that, and am in general OK with that.

I do like this car and was planning to keep it for another 2+ (or more) years, depending on how things go.

Given this is RWD vehicle with DHP package, I thought I'd ask those of you who are more experienced - since I'm out of my depth on this one.

Does anyone know of any alternative/aftermarket options that would work for RWD/DHP??

Few places I looked at online have alternatives, though some clearly state they are "not meant for cars with DHP", where others aren't exactly clear (at least to uneducated eye like mine) if fit would be 100% accurate.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Does anyone know of any alternative/aftermarket options that would work for RWD/DHP??

Few places I looked at online have alternatives, though some clearly state they are "not meant for cars with DHP", where others aren't exactly clear (at least to uneducated eye like mine) if fit would be 100% accurate.
I recently came across the fact that KW makes dynamic coil-overs for DDC-equipped cars (in the Commercial Marketplace), and I believe according to the KW website that they do it for some BMWs.

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/products/coilovers/ddc

It might be worth checking out to replace OEM DHP-equipped cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
I recently came across the fact that KW makes dynamic coil-overs for DDC-equipped cars (in the Commercial Marketplace), and I believe according to the KW website that they do it for some BMWs.

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/products/coilovers/ddc

It might be worth checking out to replace OEM DHP-equipped cars.
Thanks, might email them but as far as I can tell, there's no option for RWD 535 in their drop down menu when going into "shop' tab on the web site.
Appreciate 0