2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Bilstein B6 + Dinan Springs + H&R Swaybars
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-06-2024, 10:42 AM   #1
bk_mike
|
United_States
76
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: F10 550ix
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

When I traded my E93 M3 for my F10 550ix in 2016 one of my main complaints was the suspension. It wasn't just that the F10 was too soft, it seemed the dampers were just not up to the task.

I initially tried H&R swaybars only, not wanting to swap out shocks on a car with just 19k miles but I still felt like it wasn't enough.

Fast forward to 2022 and I got a great deal on a set of new Dinan springs. They only drop the car 0.5" but the rates and bumpstops are different than stock. I picked up a set of Bilstein B6, new hardware, and mounts.

Install was straightforward but quite involved since I have a xDrive. Axle needs to come out and many of the bolts are single use according to BMW TIS.

I must say I wish I did this upgrade sooner. This is how the M sport cars should have come from the factory. Is it a pure M car? No. But it handles well for such a large heavy car while still being drive able around town.

I struggled with this choice a lot and almost went with coilovers but cost and driveability were big concerns. I wasn't trying to turn this into a track car, just a well handling heavy sedan.

I don't see a lot of B6 reviews for the F10 so I figured I would post this here in case anyone else is contemplating suspension replacement.

Feel free to ask any questions!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 09:12 PM   #2
paul223
Major
paul223's Avatar
United_States
411
Rep
1,126
Posts

Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: arkansas

iTrader: (0)

I have 2013 535i. I bought the bilstein b12 suspension kit in end of 2022. It is very good for the price. Corners well and cornering grip is increased. Rides well and doesn’t feel like driving big boat. High speed stability is great, even on a windy day.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 11:54 AM   #3
bk_mike
|
United_States
76
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: F10 550ix
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
I have 2013 535i. I bought the bilstein b12 suspension kit in end of 2022. It is very good for the price. Corners well and cornering grip is increased. Rides well and doesn’t feel like driving big boat. High speed stability is great, even on a windy day.
Great option for non xDrive cars, unfortunately the front struts are different on the xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 01:58 PM   #4
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
138
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North NJ

iTrader: (3)

How would you describe the ride on B6?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:09 PM   #5
bk_mike
|
United_States
76
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: F10 550ix
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3985 View Post
How would you describe the ride on B6?
Firm but compliant. I have Dinan springs and H&R sway bars so that stiffens it up a bit. I wish i had done it sooner.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 06:41 AM   #6
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
138
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_mike View Post
Firm but compliant. I have Dinan springs and H&R sway bars so that stiffens it up a bit. I wish i had done it sooner.
Is there a comparison for the firmness? Like E9x M3 factory EDC dampers with lowering springs? Or…?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 07:44 PM   #7
bk_mike
|
United_States
76
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: F10 550ix
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

I would say my Dinan springs + B6 would be similar to e92 factory EDC shocks and springs on the softest setting. But this is very subjective since I haven't had my E92 since 2016.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:48 AM   #8
Hornet-01
Private
Hornet-01's Avatar
Russia
120
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: BMW 550 xdrive
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Moscow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 550ix  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_mike View Post
When I traded my E93 M3 for my F10 550ix in 2016 one of my main complaints was the suspension. It wasn't just that the F10 was too soft, it seemed the dampers were just not up to the task.

I initially tried H&R swaybars only, not wanting to swap out shocks on a car with just 19k miles but I still felt like it wasn't enough.

Fast forward to 2022 and I got a great deal on a set of new Dinan springs. They only drop the car 0.5" but the rates and bumpstops are different than stock. I picked up a set of Bilstein B6, new hardware, and mounts.

Install was straightforward but quite involved since I have a xDrive. Axle needs to come out and many of the bolts are single use according to BMW TIS.

I must say I wish I did this upgrade sooner. This is how the M sport cars should have come from the factory. Is it a pure M car? No. But it handles well for such a large heavy car while still being drive able around town.

I struggled with this choice a lot and almost went with coilovers but cost and driveability were big concerns. I wasn't trying to turn this into a track car, just a well handling heavy sedan.

I don't see a lot of B6 reviews for the F10 so I figured I would post this here in case anyone else is contemplating suspension replacement.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Did you have EDC shock absorbers from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:50 AM   #9
Hornet-01
Private
Hornet-01's Avatar
Russia
120
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: BMW 550 xdrive
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Moscow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 550ix  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_mike View Post
When I traded my E93 M3 for my F10 550ix in 2016 one of my main complaints was the suspension. It wasn't just that the F10 was too soft, it seemed the dampers were just not up to the task.

I initially tried H&R swaybars only, not wanting to swap out shocks on a car with just 19k miles but I still felt like it wasn't enough.

Fast forward to 2022 and I got a great deal on a set of new Dinan springs. They only drop the car 0.5" but the rates and bumpstops are different than stock. I picked up a set of Bilstein B6, new hardware, and mounts.

Install was straightforward but quite involved since I have a xDrive. Axle needs to come out and many of the bolts are single use according to BMW TIS.

I must say I wish I did this upgrade sooner. This is how the M sport cars should have come from the factory. Is it a pure M car? No. But it handles well for such a large heavy car while still being drive able around town.

I struggled with this choice a lot and almost went with coilovers but cost and driveability were big concerns. I wasn't trying to turn this into a track car, just a well handling heavy sedan.

I don't see a lot of B6 reviews for the F10 so I figured I would post this here in case anyone else is contemplating suspension replacement.

Feel free to ask any questions!
show your car, the fit of the car is interesting
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 08:28 PM   #10
Double Nickel
Second Lieutenant
Double Nickel's Avatar
United_States
164
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: BMW F10
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: RVA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW F10  [10.00]
I'm running H&R VTF coils over my stock shocks wit edc and Eibach sways in my '15 rwd best thing I could have done. Oh yeah i put the insert in my rear also which I think helped too.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:02 PM   #11
bk_mike
|
United_States
76
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: F10 550ix
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet-01 View Post
Did you have EDC shock absorbers from the factory?
My F10 did not have EDC. My E9X did.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:06 PM   #12
bk_mike
|
United_States
76
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: F10 550ix
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet-01 View Post
show your car, the fit of the car is interesting
Pics with the winter wheels.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
Hornet-01120.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST