2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos New C8 or used R8 or......
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2024, 03:25 PM   #1
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2398
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

New C8 or used R8 or......

so it looks like I finally found the right buyer for my 718 6MT and accepted an offer just waiting for title transfer from AZ to CA to complete the deal...
(btw, that is whole other story and has been aggravating af and has held up the deal)


anyways, now I'm once again starting to obsess over one of my old obsessions..
the Gen 1 Audi R8 and hopefully will be replacing the 718 for an R8 if I'm lucky



but....for the price of a decent mile R8 V8 gated manual, there are some other choices that have peaked my interest and would offer a bit more peace of mind(warranty)

New C8 are nice and performance is crazy good bang for the buck, but def not as rare and special as an R8 and doesnt have a manual


New GR Supra 6MT is another possible candidate




used 911 (997 or 991)



Don't really need an insane HP 0-60 car as my M3P scratches that itch, just looking for a fun weekend car that will not lose much money on in the next 5 years or so....the R8 is the one car that might cost the most to maintain, but most likely be the one that appreciates in value in the next decade.
Appreciate 2
Burrcold5219.00
DrFerry6727.00
      02-04-2024, 03:39 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
5219
Rep
3,932
Posts

Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Gated R8 all day. Don't get a C8.

997 or 991 are good choices as well (I'm looking for a 991.2 GTS right now as a weekend car).
__________________
Current: 2024 BMW M3 Competition xDrive | 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2022 Audi RS5 | 2020 BMW M340i | 2019 Audi RS5
Appreciate 5
      02-04-2024, 03:55 PM   #3
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
179
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: M2 OG DCT
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Aberdeenshire

iTrader: (0)

Worth a look at Ricky Elder`s site here in the UK, for R8 information etc.

https://reperformance.co.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/@REPerformanceUK
Appreciate 2
SoCal_NSX2398.00
DrFerry6727.00
      02-04-2024, 04:08 PM   #4
alex2364
Colonel
alex2364's Avatar
2857
Rep
2,751
Posts

Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
C8 value will drop like a rock. R8 or 911 would be my pick.
Appreciate 2
SoCal_NSX2398.00
Colemme31.00
      02-04-2024, 05:34 PM   #5
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
479
Rep
1,130
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Denver Area

iTrader: (4)

The Supra will leave you wanting for performance. Nice car though and not super common.
Appreciate 1
SoCal_NSX2398.00
      02-04-2024, 06:55 PM   #6
strohw
Captain
440
Rep
613
Posts

Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

The r8 and the 997 won't depreciate so there's that. A manual Supra will probably be about 15% depreciation after 5 years.

Do you have seat time in a G1 R8 V8? What about it draws you to it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
The Supra will leave you wanting for performance. Nice car though and not super common.
Do you mean wanting to do upgrades or in comparison to his list? The Supra is equal or faster in a line or a corner than his offered options outside of the c8.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:22 PM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
6496
Rep
3,030
Posts

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Two choices imho.

The R8 gated would be fantastic but if i do remember correctly there's a huge, huge issue with the front end where it fails at a join in the chassis, it's like a $20K fix. Sorry does someone have a link to my gibberish?

The Supra is a great car but i dunno, too new imho, too much tech and related BS. THe Chevy is a performance monster but a bashed crab, it's so uncohesive in it's design.

I personally lean one way, a 997 manual GTS coupe is a very special car. It's the only RWD wide body Carrera and basically guaranteed not to lose value even if you drive it.

i'd add an Exige to this list as a pure drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:24 PM   #8
Alfisti
Brigadier General
6496
Rep
3,030
Posts

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Gated R8 all day. Don't get a C8.

997 or 991 are good choices as well (I'm looking for a 991.2 GTS right now as a weekend car).
I have to ask, why would you go for the 991.2 GTS and not the 991.1 GTS? Every car and his dog is turbo charged these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:29 PM   #9
Burrcold
Brigadier General
5219
Rep
3,932
Posts

Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I have to ask, why would you go for the 991.2 GTS and not the 991.1 GTS? Every car and his dog is turbo charged these days.
Honestly just newness. I was looking at 992 4S's but the cost in Canada (as I'm sure you're aware) is still insane. I am open to the 991.1 or a 997...just looking for the best fit (price, options, etc).
__________________
Current: 2024 BMW M3 Competition xDrive | 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2022 Audi RS5 | 2020 BMW M340i | 2019 Audi RS5
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:36 PM   #10
tturedraider
Major General
tturedraider's Avatar
United_States
4960
Rep
6,226
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Texas & Tennessee)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
GM did a pretty phenomenal job with the C8, but even before I read your not losing money comment I was going to say Porsche and that just cements it.
__________________
https://youtu.be/-ay-8p2p29w
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

___________________________________________
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:50 PM   #11
Alfisti
Brigadier General
6496
Rep
3,030
Posts

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Honestly just newness. I was looking at 992 4S's but the cost in Canada (as I'm sure you're aware) is still insane. I am open to the 991.1 or a 997...just looking for the best fit (price, options, etc).
A 997 and a 992 are just completely different cars, there's really no comparing them. The 997 is a bit of an ox-cart on rough roads unless you get a DSC controller, it feels much, much older than it's build years (not a bad thing), it's so analog, so sort of "before cars got all techy" that the 992 feels like it's from another dimension.

I just feel the 991.1 GTS is arguably the finest sports car for the road ever made. 430 natural horses, good ride, just modern enough etc. The two criticisms are a) that sort vague 991.1 steering and b) 991 was where the 911 started to look big.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5219.00
      02-04-2024, 07:52 PM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
6496
Rep
3,030
Posts

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
GM did a pretty phenomenal job with the C8
It's just so ugly though, the back end is a mess and the sills where the front meets the back is all wrong.

Left field idea, Alfa 4C. Fire cracker of an engine, looks like it wants to fellate you and quite chuckable. It does track badly on poor roads though.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 08:17 PM   #13
Burrcold
Brigadier General
5219
Rep
3,932
Posts

Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
A 997 and a 992 are just completely different cars, there's really no comparing them. The 997 is a bit of an ox-cart on rough roads unless you get a DSC controller, it feels much, much older than it's build years (not a bad thing), it's so analog, so sort of "before cars got all techy" that the 992 feels like it's from another dimension.

I just feel the 991.1 GTS is arguably the finest sports car for the road ever made. 430 natural horses, good ride, just modern enough etc. The two criticisms are a) that sort vague 991.1 steering and b) 991 was where the 911 started to look big.
I've driven all of the "modern" generation 911's (997, 991, 992). They are all quite different, I agree (biggest difference between the 997 and 992). I liked all of them for different reasons, so that's why I'm open to finding something in any of those generations that fits my budget and needs. There's also the possibility of ordering a 992.2 and just waiting the mental lead time, but also know that I'm the first and hopefully only owner. We'll see.
__________________
Current: 2024 BMW M3 Competition xDrive | 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2022 Audi RS5 | 2020 BMW M340i | 2019 Audi RS5
Appreciate 1
Alfisti6496.00
      02-04-2024, 09:20 PM   #14
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2398
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
The r8 and the 997 won't depreciate so there's that. A manual Supra will probably be about 15% depreciation after 5 years.

Do you have seat time in a G1 R8 V8? What about it draws you to it?




Do you mean wanting to do upgrades or in comparison to his list? The Supra is equal or faster in a line or a corner than his offered options outside of the c8.

It is the timeless design and rareness of the R8 that draws me to it visually and the gated manual is just something that i have always wanted.

I saw one the other day coming around a corner at me on a two lane canyon road and was just mesmerized....it is one of those cars that you can just go look out in the garage and stare at.

Appreciate 2
jesm207.50
DrFerry6727.00
      02-04-2024, 09:41 PM   #15
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2398
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Two choices imho.

The R8 gated would be fantastic but if i do remember correctly there's a huge, huge issue with the front end where it fails at a join in the chassis, it's like a $20K fix. Sorry does someone have a link to my gibberish?

The Supra is a great car but i dunno, too new imho, too much tech and related BS. THe Chevy is a performance monster but a bashed crab, it's so uncohesive in it's design.

I personally lean one way, a 997 manual GTS coupe is a very special car. It's the only RWD wide body Carrera and basically guaranteed not to lose value even if you drive it.

i'd add an Exige to this list as a pure drivers car.
the 08-09 models had some rare instances of that frame issues(mostly due to impacts) and can be retrofitted with reinforcement plate from dealer. The issue was fixed in the 2010 on up from the factory iirc.

The only two real main issues with the gen 1's are the magride suspensions that will eventually go bad and how costly they are to replace, that is why most people just swap them out for a good set of coil overs like KW's, etc when they do start to leak... and the other issue is AC compressors are not a cheap fix due to location.

As far as the 911's the manuals are just getting harder and harder to find on the used market these days too... Was looking for a 981 GTS in white or silver with alcantara and 6MT but just can't find one. 997 GTS manuals are fetching a pretty penny these days if you can find one.

I just have a feeling the gen1 gated R8's are one of those cars that are going to skyrocket soon due to how rare they are and no longer available ...the V10 versions are already getting crazy prices, the v8 versions are still somewhat accessible for now. Only about 10% or less of the available R8's on the market are manuals with that beautiful gated shifter.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 09:46 PM   #16
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2398
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It's just so ugly though, the back end is a mess and the sills where the front meets the back is all wrong.

Left field idea, Alfa 4C. Fire cracker of an engine, looks like it wants to fellate you and quite chuckable. It does track badly on poor roads though.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder...was never really a Vette fan until the C8.

If that had a Ferrari badge on it and was their entry level car at say $150K they wouldn't be able to make enough of them.

You put the right wheels on them and lowered stance on them and they look pretty damn sick.

Appreciate 6
DrFerry6727.00
Tejas1836994.50
KevinGS3320.00
Autobacs1337.00
Gautam603.00
TimmyM56241.50
      02-05-2024, 07:59 AM   #17
Alfisti
Brigadier General
6496
Rep
3,030
Posts

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

That's the only angle where it works. Move around to the back and it looks like a Camaro was tacked onto the back and turn it a TOUCH more so it is slightly more head on and you see how terrible the integration of the back half and front half is.

Bashed crab.
Appreciate 2
KevinGS3320.00
nicholasn261.00
      02-05-2024, 08:51 AM   #18
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
479
Rep
1,130
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Denver Area

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
The r8 and the 997 won't depreciate so there's that. A manual Supra will probably be about 15% depreciation after 5 years.

Do you have seat time in a G1 R8 V8? What about it draws you to it?




Do you mean wanting to do upgrades or in comparison to his list? The Supra is equal or faster in a line or a corner than his offered options outside of the c8.
The Supra just feels soft and not very special to drive IMO. In stock form.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 08:56 AM   #19
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
BIGW0RM's Avatar
No_Country
3134
Rep
4,640
Posts

Drives: Ice Cream Truck
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Id get a 991.2 911 C4S or GTS over the Audi or C8.
__________________
2022 G80 M3 Competition X / 2020 Range Rover Sport P525 / 2023 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:10 AM   #20
Alfisti
Brigadier General
6496
Rep
3,030
Posts

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Id get a 991.2 911 C4S or GTS over the Audi or C8.
Why do you guys want to ruin your sporty 911 with turbo chargers? I mean the TURBO model is fine, it's meant to be a fast Grand Tourer, but the GTS is the closest thing to a GT3 for DDing so why do I want turbo chargers ruining the experience?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:21 AM   #21
strohw
Captain
440
Rep
613
Posts

Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
It is the timeless design and rareness of the R8 that draws me to it visually and the gated manual is just something that i have always wanted.

I saw one the other day coming around a corner at me on a two lane canyon road and was just mesmerized....it is one of those cars that you can just go look out in the garage and stare at.
It feels like you already know the car you want. You should just tell everyone you made up your mind and start looking for one now, if you haven't already started.
Appreciate 2
lakefront560.50
Alfisti6496.00
      02-05-2024, 09:35 AM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
6496
Rep
3,030
Posts

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
It feels like you already know the car you want. You should just tell everyone you made up your mind and start looking for one now, if you haven't already started.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST