2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Best full-size pickup to complement BMW?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-19-2024, 09:50 PM   #1
drummr8
6MT FTMFW
United_States
61
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 335xi E91 6MT 12 X5 35i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Best full-size pickup to complement BMW?

Our family is growing and we've only driven BMWs for the past 15 years. We cross shopped a lot of SUVs and settled on the X7 to replace our E70 X5 even though we hate that the captains chairs don't fold flat (who's the idiot that decided that was fine?).

I'm planning to get a full-size crew cab pickup truck that will make my life easier and prevent me from destroying the inside of the X7 with building materials and other random stuff. Also planning to get a camper in the future and would use the truck instead of the X7 to tow it.

Which truck brand/generation do other BMW owners have and would you recommend it? I'm leaning towards Ram Limited but Ram's reliability history is holding me back. It seems most of the trucks have had engine issues due to dumb cylinder shutdown features.
__________________
2011 LMB E90 335xi 6MT: Wagner EvoII FMIC, Catless DP, PE Mod, Cobb CP, BMC Filter, ST Coilovers, Strongflex TSB's, Whiteline RSFB Inserts, CDV Delete, Hawk Talon Rotors & PC Pads
2011 SGM E91 328xi 6MT: 3-Stage Intake Manifold, ST coilovers, 335i brake kit, drilled/slotted rotors, CDV Delete, Charcoal Filter Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 10:31 PM   #2
Ivilla035
First Lieutenant
114
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i RWD
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummr8 View Post
Our family is growing and we've only driven BMWs for the past 15 years. We cross shopped a lot of SUVs and settled on the X7 to replace our E70 X5 even though we hate that the captains chairs don't fold flat (who's the idiot that decided that was fine?).

I'm planning to get a full-size crew cab pickup truck that will make my life easier and prevent me from destroying the inside of the X7 with building materials and other random stuff. Also planning to get a camper in the future and would use the truck instead of the X7 to tow it.

Which truck brand/generation do other BMW owners have and would you recommend it? I'm leaning towards Ram Limited but Ram's reliability history is holding me back. It seems most of the trucks have had engine issues due to dumb cylinder shutdown features.
Toyota 5.7 has been amazing! I also do enjoy the vortec engines in the chevy 1500/GMC 1500. But at the end of the day it's personal preference, I can say that the toyota 5.7 is pretty much bulletproof from what I've heard. Which would be in the tundra. I'm sure a ford ranger wouldn't be in the cars but that's what I use as a winter driver, 2003 4.0. Just way too small to do anything with more than 2 people. I had a second gen tacoma 4.0 which I loved, and I know for sure that 4.0 toyota motor in the 4th gen runner and 2nd gen tacoma is bulletproof. Sadly I'm not sure if it would be large enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 10:43 PM   #3
Germanauto
Major General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
9698
Rep
6,082
Posts

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Cybertruck cause it's a rolling middle finger, much like the G wagon.

Love it or hate it they stand out loll.
__________________
Former
-2008 E90 328 black/brown
-2012 Lexus IS250 black/black
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:57 PM   #4
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
x622's Avatar
958
Rep
731
Posts

Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Are you towing or just using it to haul light loads?

If light loads: I hate the tundra because it mostly sucks, but it doesn't depreciate and would be your best option

If heavy loads: diesel ford
__________________
Oy vey, look at all these shekels
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 06:03 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
17227
Rep
18,703
Posts

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

F150 Lariat with High Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 06:21 AM   #6
MassWholeBimmer
Private
1486
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2023 X5 M50i
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: North East USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
F150 Lariat with High Package.
.with the 5.0 L V8... Unlike some makes, ford knows how to make V8's.

..or the 3.5L eco-boost. Have owned both... stellar engines.. And the 10 speed auto is pretty good as well. Get 22 mpg (summer) average mpg with my current F150. Not bad...

If need to tow less, the f150 2.7 L V6 has great reviews, and can still tow enough for most.

As mentioned, last gen Tundra is bulletproof, but mpg sucks, and when I drove it, it was uninspiring.
Resale with Tundras are very good. New Tundras were redesigned this year.... Total redesign. Would not touch yet. Probably won't have the reliability Toyotas are known for, but time will tell.

Don't have first hand experience with GMC's, but my buddies drive them (mostly the full tons) and all have good luck. Would not touch Ram's due to reliability, though they probably have the nicest ride.

F150 imho, with 3 great engine choices, very nice shifting 10speed, not old generation Tundra reliability, but I've had great luck... best of the big3 imho... and a wide range of trim packages...
__________________
2023. X5 M50i
2019. F150 SCREW 3.5 L Ecoboost

Last edited by MassWholeBimmer; 02-20-2024 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 06:31 AM   #7
Bruuuce
the me
342
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: 01ZCoupe, 08M3Coupe, 21M2C
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

I am a full size 3/4 ton or larger person. No reason to have a truck that won't do real truck stuff.

But that said, lots of options for trucks and need more use case.
__________________
01 Z Coupe, 5MT, SB, not much else
08 M3 Coupe, 6MT, JB, not much else
21 M2c Coupe ,DCT, SOM, not much else
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 06:52 AM   #8
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
10192
Rep
14,395
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)



Limited with Off-Road package, gets away from those hideous wheels, or Rebel are solid choices.
Best riding truck. Rears recline.
Tough enough but not really a work truck. More cowboy Cadillac.
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 09:48 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
17227
Rep
18,703
Posts

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassWholeBimmer View Post
.with the 5.0 L V8... Unlike some makes, ford knows how to make V8's.

..or the 3.5L eco-boost. Have owned both... stellar engines.. And the 10 speed auto is pretty good as well. Get 22 mpg (summer) average mpg with my current F150. Not bad...

If need to tow less, the f150 2.7 L V6 has great reviews, and can still tow enough for most.

As mentioned, last gen Tundra is bulletproof, but mpg sucks, and when I drove it, it was uninspiring.
Resale with Tundras are very good. New Tundras were redesigned this year.... Total redesign. Would not touch yet. Probably won't have the reliability Toyotas are known for, but time will tell.

Don't have first hand experience with GMC's, but my buddies drive them (mostly the full tons) and all have good luck. Would not touch Ram's due to reliability, though they probably have the nicest ride.

F150 imho, with 3 great engine choices, very nice shifting 10speed, not old generation Tundra reliability, but I've had great luck... best of the big3 imho... and a wide range of trim packages...
While I have a Ford 2.3L EcoBoost in my Bronco, and I like the engine, I still think a V8 is a better overall engine for a pickup truck. If fuel mileage is a concern then any pickup will be painful for you IMO. My midsized pickup is a GM with the 5.3L V8. It does everything well, including consuming gasoline.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:52 AM   #10
drummr8
6MT FTMFW
United_States
61
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 335xi E91 6MT 12 X5 35i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
https://youtu.be/qlNqu5FHSoA?feature=shared

Limited with Off-Road package, gets away from those hideous wheels, or Rebel are solid choices.
Best riding truck. Rears recline.
Tough enough but not really a work truck. More cowboy Cadillac.
This is exactly what I was leaning towards. Either this or trying to save some money and get an older sierra that doesn't have AFM.
__________________
2011 LMB E90 335xi 6MT: Wagner EvoII FMIC, Catless DP, PE Mod, Cobb CP, BMC Filter, ST Coilovers, Strongflex TSB's, Whiteline RSFB Inserts, CDV Delete, Hawk Talon Rotors & PC Pads
2011 SGM E91 328xi 6MT: 3-Stage Intake Manifold, ST coilovers, 335i brake kit, drilled/slotted rotors, CDV Delete, Charcoal Filter Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 10:01 AM   #11
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
10192
Rep
14,395
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

^
I see about 7k off while still not ruffling any feathers. Inventories are high again.

As mentioned, I'd go V8. Unless at high altitude.
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 10:42 AM   #12
oneofew
New Member
27
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 23 M5 Comp
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: CA.

iTrader: (0)

I have a 13 Sierra with a 6.2 182K mi, mechanically has been fairly reliable other than usual POS GM quality issues, cracked dash, falling door handles and such. I plan on using this truck till the wheels fall off to the point it's not worth fixing.
Having said that, most new 1500s of today are too fancy and complex almost with $80K msrp. Today If I was going to replace my Sierra I would prob order or find a F250 with the gas engine, it's same or cheaper than a fancy F150 or a GM 1500, twice as durable , leaps and bunds better at towing trailers.
F 250 with 7.3L V8 would be my choice .
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 10:49 AM   #13
drummr8
6MT FTMFW
United_States
61
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 335xi E91 6MT 12 X5 35i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofew View Post
I have a 13 Sierra with a 6.2 182K mi, mechanically has been fairly reliable other than usual POS GM quality issues, cracked dash, falling door handles and such. I plan on using this truck till the wheels fall off to the point it's not worth fixing.
Having said that, most new 1500s of today are too fancy and complex almost with $80K msrp. Today If I was going to replace my Sierra I would prob order or find a F250 with the gas engine, it's same or cheaper than a fancy F150 or a GM 1500, twice as durable , leaps and bunds better at towing trailers.
F 250 with 7.3L V8 would be my choice .
This is the exact truck I'd go for if I decide to get something "older". 2012-2013 sierra Denali
__________________
2011 LMB E90 335xi 6MT: Wagner EvoII FMIC, Catless DP, PE Mod, Cobb CP, BMC Filter, ST Coilovers, Strongflex TSB's, Whiteline RSFB Inserts, CDV Delete, Hawk Talon Rotors & PC Pads
2011 SGM E91 328xi 6MT: 3-Stage Intake Manifold, ST coilovers, 335i brake kit, drilled/slotted rotors, CDV Delete, Charcoal Filter Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 11:52 AM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
5546
Rep
5,366
Posts

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Out of the current generation of full size trucks, I'd lean towards the F150 5.0 V8. Toyota used to be the most reliable, but once that they went twin turbo, the drivetrain reliability has been dismal. Toyota is still years out now from getting their crown back.

IMO, there is no place for turbos in gasoline motor trucks that do real truck stuff. They also add a ton of complication. The Ford 5.0 has been generally reliable and the truck overall.

GM makes great trucks too and those pushrod motors are simple, stout, and powerful, but they've really had some issues with cylinder deactivation that still linger on.

For the last couple of years I've been wavering on either selling my M235 for an OG M2 or getting a new single cab, RWD F150 5.0. Those things are rockets and take to mods really well. Easy to make them into a 12 second truck with basic mods and the 5.0s sound great so as long as you muffle them. Like you, I also wouldn't mind having a tow option too.
__________________
The forest was shrinking, but the Trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the Trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:10 PM   #15
tigermack
OPN DIFF
tigermack's Avatar
Hong Kong
474
Rep
1,908
Posts

Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Ocean

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
Are you towing? If so, how much are you towing? I've driven 3 1/2 ton trucks (Ford, Ram, Chevy diesel), I liked the Ford the most and which is what I ended up picking up. Currently rocking a Lariat, powerboost, 2wd. I've driven the Rebel, unless you actually use it for off-road, it's not that great of a street truck, imho. I didn't like the Chevy interior at all but it was lots of torque, also I picked my truck up as a daily so it was going to be bits of small trips so I opted out from going diesel.
__________________
'10 LB E90 slicktop/speed cloth/6MT
ex. '06 330i 6MT & '10 n54 6MT Msport

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 01:12 PM   #16
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5312
Rep
1,907
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuuce View Post
I am a full size 3/4 ton or larger person. No reason to have a truck that won't do real truck stuff.

But that said, lots of options for trucks and need more use case.
It depends what truck stuff you need to do. I owned a 2014 F150 and now a 2016 F350. If I did not have a 32' travel trailer I would of stayed with the F150 all day. Much much better ride, much smaller and easier to maneuver better gas mileage, I'm personally not a fan of the stalk shifters.... the ONLY way the F350 is better is it can haul the 32' travel trailer across the country and not give a fuck.

I had a 26' travel trailer before and the F150 had no issues hauling it anywhere. It also managed to haul the 32' trailer up from FL to Maine and back but it was not fun. Some people with different trims and fancy hitches claim they have no issues, but I just didn't want to mess with all that so went with the F350 just to have plenty of room if we went bigger, however for anything else I prefer the F150 all day and it's more than capable of doing most of the truck stuff the average person is doing.
Appreciate 1
Bruuuce341.50
      02-20-2024, 01:38 PM   #17
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Weather Man's Avatar
1075
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

F-150 Lariat, 3.5 ecoboost, 36 gallon gas tank and max tow package. On trips it just devours the miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:13 PM   #18
BlkGS
Captain
BlkGS's Avatar
1120
Rep
915
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The best fullsize truck is the F150. That said, they're crazy expensive, I bought my X5 because they were comparably priced. It's nothing to build a Larost F150 to 78k, a platinum is easy to hit $85k. Used trucks aren't a whole lot cheaper.

The coyote 5.0 is better than the Ecoboost, had both. Ecoboost is more efficient and powerful, but not as robust. We have had our cam.phasers replace in our 19 Expedition, and it's about to go in for a transmission replacement. Luckily it's all under warranty, but the coyote in my previous f150 was very reliable and robust.

The new tundra is nice, but not as good as the f150. Silverado is 2 generations behind Ford. Ram makes a nice truck, but they're switching over to the online 6 which is brand new outside of Wagoneer, and I suspect it'll have some teething issues. If you found a well equipped ecodiesel Ram that'd be a good choice. Depending on the size of camper you're getting, moving up to a F250 powerstroke is also a good option, they're the only nice interior in a 3/4 ton truck (ram doesn't option the 2500 with the pano roof for no good reason).

Honestly, just buy or rent a flatbed trailer. It's way cheaper. That's what I do now after having a few trucks. That or you buy a cheap pickup to use only for dirty jobs.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:19 PM   #19
drummr8
6MT FTMFW
United_States
61
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 335xi E91 6MT 12 X5 35i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Honestly, just buy or rent a flatbed trailer. It's way cheaper. That's what I do now after having a few trucks. That or you buy a cheap pickup to use only for dirty jobs.
This is what I've been doing the past several years with the E70. It gets the job done but is a little bit annoying to do. Maybe I'll just continue with that method until we actually get serious about a camper.
__________________
2011 LMB E90 335xi 6MT: Wagner EvoII FMIC, Catless DP, PE Mod, Cobb CP, BMC Filter, ST Coilovers, Strongflex TSB's, Whiteline RSFB Inserts, CDV Delete, Hawk Talon Rotors & PC Pads
2011 SGM E91 328xi 6MT: 3-Stage Intake Manifold, ST coilovers, 335i brake kit, drilled/slotted rotors, CDV Delete, Charcoal Filter Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:30 PM   #20
BlkGS
Captain
BlkGS's Avatar
1120
Rep
915
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummr8 View Post
This is what I've been doing the past several years with the E70. It gets the job done but is a little bit annoying to do. Maybe I'll just continue with that method until we actually get serious about a camper.
The difference in driving even a very nice truck and a sport SUV is NIGHT AND DAY. The truck will feel HUGE and they're all super floaty. They have no sportiness at all. Even going between my X5 and Expedition is like, a huge difference in size, handling, etc. These big trucks are just beasts. Parked next to an X7, our Expedition makes it look like a compact little toy. We don't even have the extra long one!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:32 PM   #21
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rono63's Avatar
716
Rep
237
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Probably not what you are looking for but I love my Ford Raptor. Has tons of torque with the twin turbo V6, limited towing and hauling capacity though.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:38 PM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
6496
Rep
3,030
Posts

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Honestly, just buy or rent a flatbed trailer. It's way cheaper. That's what I do now after having a few trucks. That or you buy a cheap pickup to use only for dirty jobs.
Unless towing, the ugly truth is a minivan with stow n go will do a better job for carrying pretty much anything than most trucks. I know there's a stigma but man, modern trucks are weird pieces of equipment unless, again, towing is needed.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST