2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Old Cars - Can You Ever Go Home
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-22-2024, 08:38 AM   #23
celsdogg
E4 Mafia
323
Rep
412
Posts

Drives: E30, E36/5, E46, F22, F30
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 BMW 325i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 318ti  [0.00]
2003 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
And God forbid, what happens if an E30 comes my way?
Every time I drive my E30 I unintentionally get the biggest grin on my face.
__________________
Squad - '90 E30 325i MT (225k) | '98 E36/5 318ti MT (153k) | '03 E46 325i MT (152k)| '15 F22 M235i MT (60k) | '15 F30 335i MT (80k)
KIA - '91 E30 325i AT (146k) | '02 E46 325i MT (212k)
Bring back the purple M stripe
Appreciate 1
Davil6503.50
      02-22-2024, 09:16 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
17226
Rep
18,702
Posts

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg View Post
Every time I drive my E30 I unintentionally get the biggest grin on my face.
I understand. I owned one since new from 1988 to 2006. Sold it at 256,000 when I bought my E90.
Appreciate 1
celsdogg323.00
      02-22-2024, 09:28 AM   #25
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Chihuahua's Avatar
4061
Rep
3,197
Posts

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Last weekend I went to Charlotte to check on what I thought was a gem of a find from my automotive youth. A car from the early 1970s and a model that I owned as a young man, even as late as 1989. This 51-year-old example was supposed to be just 37,000 miles used, bought by a older man from the original owner and put away in storage somewhere around 1996. The intent was for the old man to do some repairs and drive it. Health kept him from those plans. Anyway, the car ended up on Autotrader Classics. I found it. It was within 300 miles driving distance, so I made a weekend roadtrip of it to check the car out.

It drove like an absolute pig. Having lots of seat time in this particular model of automobile, I found it unbelievable that back in the day I found it light and dynamic to drive, and reasonably powered. The car in Charlotte drove completely unlike as I remembered.

But this is not the first time I've looked at an apparently fine, preserved example of a car from my younger days and found it drove like a pig, completely different than I remember. It's happened with a 1985 Fiero 2M4 and a 1976 BMW 2002.

So, the question to the group; has anyone else experienced this same phenomenon? Or have I just had the bad luck of finding two poor examples of old cars from my youth that actually did drive well back in the day? Is this just a function of driving mostly BMWs for the past 35 years and being calibrated to Bavaria's finest?

And God forbid, what happens if an E30 comes my way?
I currently have an E30 and an E65. To be fair, my E30 is far from stock but with all of the BMWs I've owned, and there's been a few, I have yet to own one that made me think "this thing drives better than the red car...". The only car that I'd say came close was an E82 128i M Sport I had. I once had an F30 alongside the E30, that car was thirty years newer but comparatively felt like a freaking Buick and was quickly dispatched. I think the key is finding a good example.

Last edited by Chihuahua; 02-22-2024 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 2
celsdogg323.00
Davil6503.50
      02-22-2024, 10:40 AM   #26
KevinGS
Colonel
3320
Rep
2,158
Posts

Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
For me it was all about ergonomics. After sitting in so many modern cars where things just fall into hand and are easy to see/use, driving the old cars with huge steering wheels, bouncy seats, glare on everything, and just terrible response (not to mention slow), I just couldn't bring myself to like the experience. I was sad over it for about 3 minutes, then I remembered I had a Lotus Exige sitting at home.

My first car was an '84 RX-7, then I had an '86 MR-2, both of which I sorely miss, but I'm tiny, so those cars fit me perfectly.
I had a 1985 Mazda RX7 for like a year, and I loved that car. And I ain't a small dude, but I fit. It would still be a fun car to own and toss around today, just not for a long drive.

I also had a 1990 Nissan 300ZX Turbo, another car I loved, and drove it until it died at 400,000+ miles, with its original engine and turbos.

I currently have a 2013 M3 convertible with the small, high-revving V8 (bought in 2017 with 35,000 miles), and I will also keep this car and drive it for a longgg time. It already has 150,000 miles. It came with just enough tech that I don't long for anything when driving it. And it feels analog, like it's from a different generation of BMWs (and it is). I really like it. It's basically my daily driver. And it simply feels raw, yet still refined.

I'm saving for a GT3, and a 991.1 or 991.2 would be fine. I've been in both, and in similar fashion, they feel analog, yet refined. And the 997 feels even more raw than the 991s.

I like new car tech, efficiency and performance...but for pure driving joy, in many cases I prefer cars from a few generations past where cars were designed for the enthusiasts to feel more immersed in the art of driving.

Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13824.50
      02-22-2024, 03:47 PM   #27
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Donatello.'s Avatar
1079
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & Miata
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Some of this is because American cars were very, very floaty back in the day.
My friend's 63 Impala is king of the float & body roll LOL
__________________
2018 Charger Hellcat
2019 Miata 30th Anniversary
2021 CX-5 Signature
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 03:48 PM   #28
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Donatello.'s Avatar
1079
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & Miata
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
I’m as nostalgic as the next guy but evolution is hard to beat. My brother had a 69 vette 4 speed manual I only drove a few times before we sold it. Years later I drove my friends and it was great but just to heavy on the handling. I had a Buick reatta years ago and at the time i thought it was so modern and stylish now it seems antiquated. If I were to go retro it would be a late 60s or early 70s muscle car w 4 seats and a stick like a chevelle but I am very happy w my two modern fast cars .
I would love to do a 66 Chevelle, but I'd have to put an LS in it, upgrade the suspension & brakes too & also stereo. Yes, a lot of $
__________________
2018 Charger Hellcat
2019 Miata 30th Anniversary
2021 CX-5 Signature
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:01 PM   #29
eliphil
Lieutenant
eliphil's Avatar
1810
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: M550I
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

That’s some car collection u have a Hellcat and a Miata. Ying and tang
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:47 AM   #30
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Donatello.'s Avatar
1079
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & Miata
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
That’s some car collection u have a Hellcat and a Miata. Ying and tang
Best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 10:53 AM   #31
eliphil
Lieutenant
eliphil's Avatar
1810
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: M550I
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

If your ever in tristate area w the hellcat let me know we can compare to my z06
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 06:47 AM   #32
10"
Colonel
10"'s Avatar
No_Country
4971
Rep
2,268
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: world

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
I have an 84 Dodge Omni GLH, thing feels so fun to drive...until I get into my newer cars and remember how far we've come. Only vehicle I truly feel haven't gotten better was my 01 F350 that I bought at 16yrs old. I have a 2019 now and recently rode in my nephews 03, made me really miss that truck. Felt so much more planted on the road and the seats were much more comfortable.
Oh man I always LOVED those Omni GLH!!! I grew up in Detroit and saw a lot of them around—all the Chrysler employees would get them. Amazing car! Post a pic!

I bought a Sentra SE-R in 1993 and it had a similar spirit to the GLH and other “hot” small cars of the 80s and 90s.
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17225.50
      03-19-2024, 06:16 PM   #33
ShapeShifter
New Member
ShapeShifter's Avatar
340
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: M440ix GC On Order
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: SW Arkansas

iTrader: (0)

88 Conquest TSi 5 Spd

Bought mine new in Michigan, the spring of 88. The OEM wheels are in storage. Still have the original brochure. We both made the move from SE Michigan to SW Arkansas the spring of 2013. Neither of us are as young as we use to be, but we both are still getting along. Although parts are getting a bit hard to find for one of us.
Attached Images
    
__________________
2024 BMW M440ix Gran Coupe -SRG Metallic (In Transit)
2006 CTS Sport, 6 Spd - Blackberry
2003 F-150 Harley-Davidson 100th Anniv. Edition - Black
1988 Conquest TSi, 5 Spd - Black
Appreciate 5
3798j11352.00
Rocket455482.50
///MPhatic13824.50
Efthreeoh17225.50
eliphil1810.00
      03-19-2024, 10:44 PM   #34
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
3239
Rep
3,194
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal

iTrader: (0)

Ya, I'm w some of the guys here, I understand the beauty of certain old cars, but there's no way it can perform as well as a modern sportscar, so it doesn't matter if it's a Miura or F355, gorgeous but they will definitely disappoint as technology just advances over time. Some aspect of cars is art but to me I will always treat them more as mechanical as they are machines and that's why I don't get caught in that mindset of wanting old.
__________________
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17225.50
      03-20-2024, 08:26 AM   #35
BlkGS
Captain
BlkGS's Avatar
1120
Rep
915
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, I'm w some of the guys here, I understand the beauty of certain old cars, but there's no way it can perform as well as a modern sportscar, so it doesn't matter if it's a Miura or F355, gorgeous but they will definitely disappoint as technology just advances over time. Some aspect of cars is art but to me I will always treat them more as mechanical as they are machines and that's why I don't get caught in that mindset of wanting old.
Counterpoint.

My fleet spans late 90s to 2021. I have 2 vehicles with problems right now that are in the shop or need to be. Well, 3 but the 92 is my.fault and I should have fixed it a year ago. But the 2 I was talking about are my 2 newest, a 2019 that's in for a transmission rebuild (under warranty) after going in for a camshaft phaser replacement (under warranty), and my 2021 that's going to go in for a "chassis control" issue that's gonna be who knows what.

My 09 and 2012 vehicles never have any problems. The 09 has had a good bit of upkeep during my ownership to be fair, but it doesn't let me down. The 2012 is a low mile Corvette and it's not hardly had any issues ever. It's a tank but it doesn't get driven a ton due to it being slightly less practical.

All this to say, peak reliability for vehicles was the early to late 00s. After that point emissions and efficiency controls forced automakers into designs that were not as robust, and not as reliable. They also are modern enough to have overall decent safety, features, and drivability. I can understand sticking to that era, and frankly, right now I would go trade my 2021 X5 in for the right vehicle from the mid to late 00s.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17225.50
      03-20-2024, 12:53 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
3239
Rep
3,194
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Counterpoint.

My fleet spans late 90s to 2021. I have 2 vehicles with problems right now that are in the shop or need to be. Well, 3 but the 92 is my.fault and I should have fixed it a year ago. But the 2 I was talking about are my 2 newest, a 2019 that's in for a transmission rebuild (under warranty) after going in for a camshaft phaser replacement (under warranty), and my 2021 that's going to go in for a "chassis control" issue that's gonna be who knows what.

My 09 and 2012 vehicles never have any problems. The 09 has had a good bit of upkeep during my ownership to be fair, but it doesn't let me down. The 2012 is a low mile Corvette and it's not hardly had any issues ever. It's a tank but it doesn't get driven a ton due to it being slightly less practical.

All this to say, peak reliability for vehicles was the early to late 00s. After that point emissions and efficiency controls forced automakers into designs that were not as robust, and not as reliable. They also are modern enough to have overall decent safety, features, and drivability. I can understand sticking to that era, and frankly, right now I would go trade my 2021 X5 in for the right vehicle from the mid to late 00s.
There's no counterpoint though as I'm just referring to performance. The saying "they don't make them like they used to" sometimes applies. I can imagine the myriad of prbs now that cars seem more like computers. I used to have electrical gremlins but they have stopped ages ago (knock wood) and they are nothing compared to these moving ipads, so I shudder to think of vehicles now w way more complicated electronics.
__________________
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 10:07 PM   #37
eliphil
Lieutenant
eliphil's Avatar
1810
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: M550I
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

I have to find and post a picture of my approx 1992 Buick reatta. First car with a touch screen.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17225.50
      04-04-2024, 06:30 AM   #38
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
1328
Rep
1,599
Posts

Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
I have an 84 Dodge Omni GLH, thing feels so fun to drive...until I get into my newer cars and remember how far we've come. Only vehicle I truly feel haven't gotten better was my 01 F350 that I bought at 16yrs old. I have a 2019 now and recently rode in my nephews 03, made me really miss that truck. Felt so much more planted on the road and the seats were much more comfortable.
the GLH was my gateway into performance cars. I had a GOLD 1985 non-turbo.

At the time I was rockn a 1979 Corolla SR5, and the first time I slammed the pedal and felt the torque of that H.O. 2.2 in the GLH I was hooked.

have craved NA and torque ever since!

but on the OP's topic, I have tried to go back a few times to e86 coupes, but they just felt "old" compared to my ride at the time, a 2018 m240i

heck even a 2012 R8 V10 felt kinda old and worn compared to my 2020 M2 Comp

stuff wears out so newer cars generally feel better

which is why it stinks that there are almost no new non turbo manual cars out there!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 07:51 PM   #39
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Donatello.'s Avatar
1079
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & Miata
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
the GLH was my gateway into performance cars. I had a GOLD 1985 non-turbo.

At the time I was rockn a 1979 Corolla SR5, and the first time I slammed the pedal and felt the torque of that H.O. 2.2 in the GLH I was hooked.

have craved NA and torque ever since!

but on the OP's topic, I have tried to go back a few times to e86 coupes, but they just felt "old" compared to my ride at the time, a 2018 m240i

heck even a 2012 R8 V10 felt kinda old and worn compared to my 2020 M2 Comp

stuff wears out so newer cars generally feel better

which is why it stinks that there are almost no new non turbo manual cars out there!
R8 V10 felt old vs a M2?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 07:59 PM   #40
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
GolfCoyote's Avatar
565
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: PNW

iTrader: (0)

Rose colored glasses.
I miss my old Neon SRT-4, I remember that thing just taking all the abuse stupid 18 year old me would throw at it. I still kind of want one for the nostalgia of it all, but I'm sure I'd be sorely disappointed in it now lol
__________________
2015 VW GTI (446whp/414wtq)
2024 M3 Comp xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 08:12 PM   #41
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Donatello.'s Avatar
1079
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & Miata
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCoyote View Post
Rose colored glasses.
I miss my old Neon SRT-4, I remember that thing just taking all the abuse stupid 18 year old me would throw at it. I still kind of want one for the nostalgia of it all, but I'm sure I'd be sorely disappointed in it now lol
I did buy back a car I owned for 5+ years and loved back in the day. I bought it back. A 2006 Mazdaspeed6. I owned a MS6 prior that I bought new, a 2007 MS6.

Anyway, I did a bunch of work to this 2006 and it was my daily for most of the 5+ years I had it. Eventually sold it then about a year later, bought it back from the guy I sold it to. At that time, I owned three other cars.

Fast forward, it did not get driven much and I sold it. To this day, I do have thoughts of wishing I kept it, but nothing that I lose sleep over.

The guy I sold it to made it much faster. I tried to buy it back again, but he wanted LOL money so I passed.

I moved on as far as the car world and it is what it is. Would I own another MS6? Yes, but not going to overpay for anything.

Sometimes, just like dating relationships, a car comes along at the right time for us, but we're not meant to love it forever. We will always have the positive memories.
__________________
2018 Charger Hellcat
2019 Miata 30th Anniversary
2021 CX-5 Signature
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 08:14 PM   #42
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
GolfCoyote's Avatar
565
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: PNW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
I did buy back a car I owned for 5+ years and loved back in the day. I bought it back. A 2006 Mazdaspeed6. I owned a MS6 prior that I bought new, a 2007 MS6.

Anyway, I did a bunch of work to this 2006 and it was my daily for most of the 5+ years I had it. Eventually sold it then about a year later, bought it back from the guy I sold it to. At that time, I owned three other cars.

Fast forward, it did not get driven much and I sold it.

The guy I sold it to made it much faster. I tried to buy it back again, but he wanted LOL money so I passed.

I moved on as far as the car world and it is what it is. Would I own another MS6? Yes, but not going to overpay for anything.

Sometimes, just like dating relationships, a car comes along at the right time for us, but we're not meant to love it forever. We will always have the positive memories.
I had a Mazdaspeed6 with a GT3076 turbo on it, great car. The epitome of sleeper, no one knew what it was.
__________________
2015 VW GTI (446whp/414wtq)
2024 M3 Comp xDrive
Appreciate 1
Donatello.1078.50
      04-11-2024, 03:45 PM   #43
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Donatello.'s Avatar
1079
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & Miata
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCoyote View Post
I had a Mazdaspeed6 with a GT3076 turbo on it, great car. The epitome of sleeper, no one knew what it was.
100%.

Haven't seen one on C&B or BAT in a minute. Last one was a low mile, but rough, red one that went for lol wtf money. I was hoping I could pick it up
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST