2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dealer screwing me

11-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Dealer screwing me

I know that this is common however I was smart enough to get things in writing but still need advice.
I found a 550i xdrive fully loaded with b and o and all the other not common options with 44k miles 2016 so still 11 months warranty. Car was listed for 31k so i jumped on it. I was doing this all over internet and phone so I multiple times said please tell me if any dings or scratches or mechanical issues. They assured me all cars are gone over and body work fixed . Plus they give 90 day warranty. When I arrived their were few pretty bad scratches and a compound dent on the wheel well. I said forget it I'm walking away as I cannot deal with traveling 2 hrs to drop off and pick up. They said no take car we will pick up and drop off from your house I said if you put in writing fine. So I leave and get on highway and notice rumbling and nvh I call them right away its been literally 10 min since I left. They say dont worry we will fix it all service will call you. So service calls and says being to bmw cause warranty. I'm annoyed but I bring it in and turns out bad wheel bearing,blown transfer case,transmission ,4 bent rims and needs brakes. So bmw will fix all except the bent rims and brakes plus still need body work and the transfer case prob went out cause one tire is worn down alot so I need tires as well. This whole time I have been trying to arrange dropping off car to the dealer I bought from but service keeps saying I have to work it out with the sales guy. So the sales guy wont get on phoenand when does answer says will call back or talk to service. I have offered to drop car off and just give me ride 20 min over the bridge so I can take upber for 80 instead of 150 but I keep getting jerked. So at this point I filed a dispute with chase cause I put 6g on my card and they wrote on contract will arrange transportation for me, and will repair all dents, paint plus wet sand. So between all these things and the fact that when I bought car they put in my paperwork a paper that they said they inspected everything and that all panels had no damage. I feel I should just stick with the dispute and pay someone local to fix. My question is if I will most likely win or lose cause if I will lose I would rather just pay to get car their instead of paying for all the work.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

So you bought a car without looking at it first
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

Rob, it sounds to me like you might have a viable legal action but the answer is going to depend upon the contents of the documents you signed and the laws of the state where you purchased the vehicle.

You need to take all of your contract documents to a lawyer licensed to practice in the place where you bought the car and consult with him/her rather than asking on an online forum.

Edit: If you're looking for friendly advice, I'd try to get the dealer to void the contract, get all of your money back, and then take your business elsewhere. Bad behavior on the part of a car dealership should not be tolerated and it sounds like this car has problems that they didn't disclose to you when you inquired about it.
Appreciate 1
cdmulders325.00
      11-19-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Hind sight being what it is, I would have walked when the car initially didn't meet your expectations. From my experience, service will ALWAYS blame sales (and won't help) and sales will promise the world (knowing you'll head to service for any corrections and they will deny repairs)! Them refusing to replace the bent wheels would definitely cause me to walk.

Were I you, I would hope I could return the car and get my money back. They obviously knew the issues and just dumped it on you.
Appreciate 1
cdmulders325.00
      11-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The only reason I didnt walk away Is I had them put In writing that they would arrange transportation and fox the dents ,scratches and wet sand . Also ny has lemon law on used cars and I live in CT. They have a 90 day warranty I believe it was required because I am out of state and the car is in warranty with bmw so they did transfer case and bearings and will be doing trans. I love the car but it was almost out of warranty and only reason I getting so much done from bmw is cause I am good friends with a sa.i ran car fax before I drove their .It is a lease trade in single owner it was a good deal my concern is the 4 bent rims and body work so I would like to keep car. I am more asking about my dispute I filed with chase and am getting an estimate today to bring the car to the as promised condition in the paperwork and based off the video on the site. They pulled last minute crap knowing I drove from out of state and was Halloween so I needed get back to my kids so I dont regret the purchase I just tried for 3 weeks to get what was promised and they jerked me plus the mechanical stuff was shady cause it couldnt pass ny inspection but they passed it fraudulently. I just dont want to file and lose cause if these dealers have loopholes or if chargebacks usually fail than I'd rather take my loss and try get them do something cause their own service department says they should have done brakes and fix wheels etc but I have to deal with sales guy to arrange and he wont respond except for random vague things and will call back but doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have never done charge back so I don't know if after I pay to fix they can offer and im stuck or how long am I supposed to put up with being jerked like service gives appointment for Monday but says need talk to sales guy. I call every day, Sunday night I get text I'll call you in morning I say no I need to talk to you now and I get call 9pm monday night then I get call Tuesday morning asking where I am I say at work, he says oh I could been their in 3hrs i was gonna leave now,I say I'll call you right back I'll try get keys to the car I call 5 min later no answer texts I'll call in 5 driving I call few times 2 hrs later I text he says don't text I don't have time for texts call me. I call again he texts and says im driving so text me. I have all these saved.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #7
ferizzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550xi M-Sport

out of curiosity, what dealership?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

The story is all over the place, hard to follow.
At this point from what I can determine is the 90 day period.
You should rush to take this car and deal back!
Run, don’t walk!
Appreciate 1
cdmulders325.00
      11-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Many mistakes here.

1. Taking the dealers word for everything, not speaking with actual salesperson, (internet people are a joke) to do visual inspection via video or just making the drive to see it in person.

2. With or without warranty, a inspection on a 550i would always be necessary. Making the drive and moving it to another dealer for PPI is recommended. If out of state, car can be arranged to be picked up and dropped off.

3. Not walking away when they assured everything was "perfect" when in fact it was not.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I will go on computer tonight and edit I did from phone and was trying answer questions while remembering everything I wanted to ask.
Dealer is european masters in Great Neck Long Island NY
I had been searching for car with these options for while and the car was a single owner lease trade in with no accidents on carfax. It is in warranty for 6k miles through bmw and technically have 90 days from dealer I purchased from. I have gotten new transfer case already and am getting new transmission so I feel like I am going to be well off but the part that made me dispute is the 4 bent rims and the scratches and dents. I gave them 3 weeks to try and address the problems. Since bmw fixed the other stuff I am ok but I disputed the charge for 6 thousand down and am getting estimate today to submit for the body work they promised on contract and fixing or replacing the wheels . I was just curious if anyone knew my odds of losing dispute and getting screwed. Cause If was a gaurantee I'd lose then I would have taken off and tried getting car to them and fight to get what was promised. I'd obviously rather not go that route cause they will prob jerk me even more at this point.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

At this point it is totally up to you but I sure would not put myself out like that.
Why is it up to you to jump through all these hoops?
It is their problem, give them the car and don't accept it back until it is like you want.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=wcr3d;25491225]At this point it is totally up to you but I sure would not put myself out like that.
Why is it up to you to jump through all these hoops?
It is their problem, give them the car and don't accept it back until it is like you want.[/QUOTE
That's how I feel but after getting new wheel bearings and transfer case and transmission now would suck for them to get car back and me start over. I am hoping chase finds in my favor and I can pay bmw to fix the other stuff then give the dealer the difference back but if not I'll have to take it as an expensive lesson.
This time of year I lose at least 800 dollars by taking a day off so wasting 2 days going to ny with someone following me is very costly for me. From all the online reviews I see apparently this place preys on out of state buyers and I guess pays for a good rating on autotrader. All their other ratings are trash but I saw the carfax and good autotrader rating and jumped without looking cause of the options list.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #13
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

Rob, I have a super important question. What job do you have where if you take 1 day off you lose $800? Apparently, I'm in the wrong business.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #14
rahdigga165
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i xdrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
I will go on computer tonight and edit I did from phone and was trying answer questions while remembering everything I wanted to ask.
Dealer is european masters in Great Neck Long Island NY
I had been searching for car with these options for while and the car was a single owner lease trade in with no accidents on carfax. It is in warranty for 6k miles through bmw and technically have 90 days from dealer I purchased from. I have gotten new transfer case already and am getting new transmission so I feel like I am going to be well off but the part that made me dispute is the 4 bent rims and the scratches and dents. I gave them 3 weeks to try and address the problems. Since bmw fixed the other stuff I am ok but I disputed the charge for 6 thousand down and am getting estimate today to submit for the body work they promised on contract and fixing or replacing the wheels . I was just curious if anyone knew my odds of losing dispute and getting screwed. Cause If was a gaurantee I'd lose then I would have taken off and tried getting car to them and fight to get what was promised. I'd obviously rather not go that route cause they will prob jerk me even more at this point.
Just curious, did you not read the dealership (european masters) review?

I too was thinking about visiting them but the reviews alone did not lured me into their showroom.

In my opinion, am sure you would had not gone through half those things if you would had purchased straight from a BMW dealership.

For the most part, BMW dealership are held to a higher standard as compared to these shady dealers that dont care about you and all they want is your money even if it means for them to put you on a 96 month finance payment at 24% APR.

These side dealership will promise you XY&Z for a later date as their main objective is to have you sign and drive off that day and deal with you later. (Thats when the run around and avoidance come into play)

BMW on the other hand will try their best to stand behind their product and customer service. Not once i've gotten the run around or brushed off by a BMW personnel either by phone or in house visit.

Hope things work out for you and you learn from experience for next time.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #15
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

I am totally stumped why you are paying for anything, what chase has to do with it, the whole story really, it makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #16
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I bought car I gave deposit with a chase cc. They jerked me so I disputed the cc transaction end of story
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahdigga165 View Post
Just curious, did you not read the dealership (european masters) review?

I too was thinking about visiting them but the reviews alone did not lured me into their showroom.

In my opinion, am sure you would had not gone through half those things if you would had purchased straight from a BMW dealership.

For the most part, BMW dealership are held to a higher standard as compared to these shady dealers that dont care about you and all they want is your money even if it means for them to put you on a 96 month finance payment at 24% APR.

These side dealership will promise you XY&Z for a later date as their main objective is to have you sign and drive off that day and deal with you later. (Thats when the run around and avoidance come into play)

BMW on the other hand will try their best to stand behind their product and customer service. Not once i've gotten the run around or brushed off by a BMW personnel either by phone or in house visit.

Hope things work out for you and you learn from experience for next time.
I know the auto trader reviews were good and I messed up cause it had miles and option's I been looking for. I should have checked other reviews.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #18
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahdigga165 View Post
BMW on the other hand will try their best to stand behind their product and customer service. Not once i've gotten the run around or brushed off by a BMW personnel either by phone or in house visit...
Due to this attitude, my SA and I have become pretty good friends over the last almost 5 years. I even have his personal cell number. He encourages me to call, though I don't want to abuse the privilege! He even texted pictures of him at the CMA ceremony to me!

edit:
I just checked some of their inventory. Places like this get their cars from auctions; meaning the dealers want nothing to do with them when they're traded-in. I also have issue with them posting monthly payments instead of prices. A "monthly-payment dealer" is, IMHO, a shyster dealer anyway. Why are they "hiding" the vehicle price? Like Cal Worthington (and his dog spot) were out here in SoCal years ago. If one bothered to do the math on his "deals" and bought one of his cars, they would find out they were still making payments on a 10-year old car!

Last edited by ezaircon4jc; 11-23-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #19
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I found the car priced on auto trader and if it werent for the factory warranty and me having a good relationship with bmw to get all the work done I would be screwed. 7g for transfer case and the trans will be over 20g. But for me in the end it will be good deal . 31g for a 89g sticker 550i xdrive is a good deal, especially with brand new transfer case and transmission , wheel bearings , guibo ,mounts and more. What I think happened is their were no codes for the transmission so bmw is reluctant to do anything besides reset adaptations. I am fortunate to have ability to get it taken care of even though only symptom is that is sluggish when cold and changing from reverse to drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #20
DarkgraphiteNYC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi, '11 328xi (ret)

I don't understand why you would be on the hook for the bad rims and anything else that wasn't disclosed. I would've gotten my money back and take a walk.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #21
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't believe I am that's basically what i was asking i was just looking for reassurance cause i usually take it on chin and give benefit if doubt. Maybe its pride but I try to make sure not to look scummy or be shady cause I know what it feels like to have customers take advantage of you
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #22
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

For what it's worth, I've disputed my $4K chase cc downpayment when I purchased my 2016 535d as a CPO. The dealer had listed it as CPO, had all the CPO paperwork but they hadn't registered it with BMW as a CPO. I've disputed the charge and called the sales rep.
Two days later, it was registered as a CPO. I released the dispute and all is good.
Appreciate 0