2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Door not latching

11-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
BadCop726
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D

Door not latching

My drivers door on my 2014 535D 70,00mi. will not latch when it is cold outside.

It will unlock, open, although tough to pull the handle and then it will not shut because the latch does not secure.

This all happens when it is below freezing. Above freezing it is fine.
The only way to secure the door and drive it, is to hold the door shut and press the lock button.

Only problem is then I am stuck in the car because it will not open until it warms up outside.

Had the actuator replaced twice with BMW genuine part. Mechanic

Anyone experience this and have a solution or suggestion. I am about to bring it to the dealer and I fear it will cost a lot to troubleshoot this.

I don't want to keep climbing out of the window like Duke Boys :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 06:20 AM   #2
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Could weather stripping be letting frost in ? Idk just guess. Have you tried checking alignment if pin or greasing the catch and the pin . Put red grease on pin and sec where it contacts to check alignment
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

This is a not so uncommon issue with BMWs. The same scenario you mentioned (cold weather & moisture = freezing door latch) has occurred on BMWs I've owned going back to my first 1985 e30 325e...and has been discussed on multiple BMW forums that I've been apart of (e30/e32/e34/e38/e39/e53).

Once you get the car in ambient temps above freezing...the latch will work...but if it freezes up when temps drop below 32’ F/0° C...I've found using a product that displaces/dispels moisture helps to prevent this occurrence.

I've found a product called Tri-Flow works great for this issue. It contains TEFLON which helps to repel dust/dirt/grime/moisture. Using a thick grease usually works against you because dirt/dust/grime/etc can adhere to the grease and gum things up. You want a product that repels these things and won't cause a build up.

Tri-Flow is used a lot in the bicycle community on their chains...which again, is something you want to keep lubricated but not gummy with excess grease. You can google their name to see if it is available where you live or if there's any vendors you can order it from. I use it annually to winterize my vehicles. I apply it to all the door lock cylinders, door latches, and hinges...as well as other areas where things bind orhave friction with other surfaces (ie hood springs and latches etc):

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:48 AM   #4
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

If you have already replaced the latch it may not be properly tensioned or the striker may need to be adjusted. Other than that, check that the door panel is properly latched and seals do not create obstructions. You shouldn't need grease a new actuator regardless of temps.
Appreciate 0