2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535i with 55k miles - good deal?

11-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D

535i with 55k miles - good deal?

Hi,

I'm considering buying of a 2015 BMW 535i RWD with M sport package and 55k miles on it.

The car is in a pretty good condition but Carfax doesn't show an oil change in the last 15k miles. However, the car itself says it's brand new.

Well... the car looks and drives pretty nice. No weird noises, no oil leakage, etc.

Price is $22.9k at Carmax and an extended warranty is available.

However, overall price comes to $30.9k and I would need to consider buying of winter tires (Chicago area) and new brake pads as they will be due in 3100 miles. So this would bring the price very likely overall to $32.500k.

That seems pretty much. Even with the 5 year / 100k miles bumper to bumper warranty from CarMax. The downside beside the price is also that it has no Xdrive. This is my first illinois winter. Don't know what to expect. I'm used to BMW driving in the mountains with winter tires but...yeah not sure if it is worth the money.

Car was used as a personal and fleet car.

Any thoughts on this? Is it basically a reliable car? I drove 2 F10 already, both have been totally reliable. No repairs at all. But both have been brand new cars and I drove them just until 65k miles.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
Cvx5832
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘15 535i M-Sport

Expensive warranty. They’re trying to fleece you I say. The F10 is not a shitbox like bmws of the past but some work still is necessary. Thankfully it’s in the realm of single-day DIY jobs.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pGtab View Post
...and new brake pads as they will be due in 3100 miles...
Mine has said 3100 miles for 14 months and about 12K miles. Don't believe that number...
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Over 30k investment for a old body 5? Walk away. Newer 530/540 are mid 30's, might as well buy that....
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ya that's also my feeling... too much... I could buy w/o the warranty...that would save $4.5k... and $300 deductible per visit. However, what if the car needs an expensive repair...i can't estimate what could pop up over time, beside brakes. Plan to drive it 2 or 3 years. Could be all good or get worse over time. What are typical expensive repairs with the F10?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Why is the overall price almost $31k? Is that because it's including sales taxes? Or are there other dealer fees that are driving it up. The starting price didn't look so bad. Also, while a little expensive, the CarMax warranty generally has a good reputation for paying out at dealer rates.

Also second the comment on the brakes. Don't worry about that - it might go another year before it needs them. Easy to measure the pads to double check.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I bought my '16 Msport with 60k on it for $23k from a dealer. If i'd tacked on a Route 66 Warranty, I was quoted an additional $3k.
They're overcharging on the car itself, let alone the warranty. I'd keep looking around.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
Why is the overall price almost $31k? Is that because it's including sales taxes? Or are there other dealer fees that are driving it up. The starting price didn't look so bad. Also, while a little expensive, the CarMax warranty generally has a good reputation for paying out at dealer rates.

Also second the comment on the brakes. Don't worry about that - it might go another year before it needs them. Easy to measure the pads to double check.

$31k because of the warranty plus sales tax and documentation fee.

$23k is the car, 4.5k ish is the warranty, plus sales tax, plus documentation fee = 31k. That's too much. You guys are right, I can get another car for the money. I could even buy a 2014 X6 for $35k with half of the miles and the warranty.

Regarding the brakes... i can see that the brake pads are almost done... there's not much material left between the caliper and rotor... you can barely see it. So... I think it's nice from far, but far from nice
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I'm just wondering if it would be worth to consider buying it with no warranty. What do you think? I really don't have a clue how much repairs are for this car in the US. I only know BMWs are the most expensive. That's what I get told continuously

Last edited by pGtab; 11-21-2019 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Any thoughts on buying with no warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

I live in Chicago and own an Xdrive 535i. I used to date a woman with a RWD 3 series and winter tires. It was still extremely touchy on snow. I had to be very careful not to break the front end loose on a turn. This is from someone who is a lifelong Chicago resident who learned to drive in winter on all season bias ply tires 40 years ago. My personal experience is Xdrive is necessary in the worst of a Chicago winter.

A BMW at CarMax is a car sourced from an auction, which is where BMW dealers send the cars that they don't want on their lot. As for buying such a car without a warranty, what is your capacity for risk? This is more risk than I would buy into.

You are concerned about brakes, but what about other maintenance items? Spark plugs are coming due and the transmission is about do for a flush. I just had mine done at 63k and it made a big difference. No oil change in 15k miles? Not a good sign. Most of us change in the 5 - 7 k range.

My dealer only CPOs cars that they sold originally, they won't buy a car from an auction to put on their lot. If a BWM dealer won't take that risk, will you?

CarMax cars are known for being overpriced, which are sold to people afraid of going to dealers. I would pass on this car.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just looked at my local dealer. Much nicer options for less money.

Good luck.

https://www.fieldsbmwnorthfield.com/...r-superModel-3
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #13
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNorm View Post
I just looked at my local dealer. Much nicer options for less money.

Good luck.

https://www.fieldsbmwnorthfield.com/...r-superModel-3
Thanks!

But most of them aren't certified. If they're certified they're in the same price range?!

Interesting about the winter in Chicago... I thought I could handle it as I grew up in the mountains with lots of snow and never had AWD but... yeah... never experienced a winter here in Chicago
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #14
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I would encourage you to re-think your priorities.

IMHO, the most important thing is to find the right car, then focus on the price. That car at CarMax is a car that another dealer didn't want on their lot; why?

In the long run, spending a little more to get the right car is usually the cheaper option, in the long run as they don't need as many repairs. A car that goes 15k between oil changes is likely to be a early candidate for the walnut valve cleaning, not a cheap service.

If you go to a search site like Cars.com, the vast majority of all the F10 models in this market are AWD, there must be a reason why.

I would encourage you to search a bit more. This certified car only has 15k miles on it for $30k at a Chicago BMW dealer. Yes, you are going to pay a premium for a low mileage car but you are far less likely to have problems with it. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4297/overview/

Again, good luck.
Appreciate 1
cdmulders325.00
      11-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #15
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

You're totally right! I understand and it makes totally sense. Appreciate your reply and research.

There's only one last question regarding Carmax overall... they do buy cars on auctions, but they also buy cars from owners directly, right? Generally, not every car on their lot is a car a dealer doesn't want, I think. They invest money to fix some things, paint parts, etc. and stand behind their cars. We returned 3 cars already with no issues at all. However, I see their cars are more expensive. I just try to better understand their business model.

Have previously seen a lot of cars at dealer parking lots in a terrible shape even though the cars were 2 or 3 years old... we spent so much time with dealers and got told so so many lies that we ended up with Carmax. It was a nightmare dealer episode. They had cars online they never had or we got told that the car got just sold 30mins ago...shit like that.

I want to avoid to get ripped off by any dealer and I'm sick off playing cames . That's why Carmax appeared to be a good deal. More expensive yes, but with warranty. But yeah... thei have also plenty of cars with issues as we figured out.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #16
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Not sure why people happily and knowingly overpay for a car then cheap out on warranty or find it "too much"...Then when something breaks and a big repair bill comes, they come here to post and bitch lol

5k or less for a GOOD warranty and term is cheap...If the car has over 70k, I bet at least 3k of work already.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
...I just try to better understand their business model...
Easy... Buy low and sell high. There are more than a few YouTube's about how Carmax low-balled them on their vehicles. I would (I haven't) do some research on how satisfied people are with the Carmax warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #18
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

I had a Carmax warranty ("Maxcare") on my 335i e93 which I bought from Carmax and owned for 5 years. I paid ~$3.5k for the warranty and they paid ~$14k for repairs, including entire electronics iDrive stack(modules were overheating) and a new transmission (one day just stopped moving altogether and threw a malfunction message). Best thing ever, and covers more than BMW CPO! You should check Doug DeMuro review of his Range Rover with that warranty - better than factory coverage!
I just bought a 2015 550i from Carmax and also added Maxcare, as I would never own a BMW without it, especially with N63TU! It's getting its Parking Assistant and B&O speakers repaired at the dealer right now
Just my 2 cents and hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #19
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Wow, awesome! Thanks, really helpful and good to know.

There car might be overpriced sometimes but the warranty seems to be worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #20
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

General question: is 55k miles much for a BMW 535i? Should I better invest more money and buy with less miles? Just curious to see how mileage relates to reliability and residual value. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #21
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
General question: is 55k miles much for a BMW 535i? Should I better invest more money and buy with less miles? Just curious to see how mileage relates to reliability and residual value. Thanks
Values are going to drop STEEPLY after they hit 60k usually. I bought an absolute unicorn and so happy I did. 2 years ago after selling my E60 and my Infiniti M56s I wanted another bmw and found my 2011 535i xDrive for sale with only 19k mi, and although it was a "base" it was nicely optioned: comfort access, cold weather package, hifi stereo, idrive pro, power sunshade, alpine white over oyster/anthracite.

Got it for $18.5k out the door with a 3yr warranty bumper to bumper including interior and exterior surfaces (paint leather carpet etc). 2 years later it has 42k mi perfectly reliable never once been at the dealer except for oil changes. Installed a JB4 at around 26k and have been running it on map 5 ever since, k&n cai, R1 Concept Carbon Geomet rotors, H&R Sport Springs, muffler delete, 666m reps, and I finally bit the bullet and got an M Sport front bumper swap, catless dp, and some cf dress up parts.

I absolutely LOVE my car and if you could find any 535i with low mileage you'll be golden. At 50k I'll do a full service with oil change spark plugs fluids etc. I don't drive my car gently, now it's a 4th car in the driveway so it only comes out a few times a month but I push it pretty hard and it's been nothing but solid.
Attached Images

Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #22
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
I had a Carmax warranty ("Maxcare") on my 335i e93 which I bought from Carmax and owned for 5 years. I paid ~$3.5k for the warranty and they paid ~$14k for repairs, including entire electronics iDrive stack(modules were overheating) and a new transmission (one day just stopped moving altogether and threw a malfunction message). Best thing ever, and covers more than BMW CPO! You should check Doug DeMuro review of his Range Rover with that warranty - better than factory coverage!
I just bought a 2015 550i from Carmax and also added Maxcare, as I would never own a BMW without it, especially with N63TU! It's getting its Parking Assistant and B&O speakers repaired at the dealer right now
Just my 2 cents and hope this helps.
I had Maxcare on a Jag XJ. They had to shell out for a new motor, $32k. Didn't quibble too much about it, either. Worth every penny.
Appreciate 0