2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Dynamic sway bar delete brainstorming

04-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Dynamic sway bar delete brainstorming

I did a search and went through 2 pages of results with nothing on the subject.

So as our pre-LCI F10s that have the old hydraulic dynamic sway bars age, we are all prone to develop leaks there. A set of Eibach/ H&Rs would fix that part of it, BUT how do you keep the rest of the car happy?

Do you do a full delete of the pump, reservoir? do we add an idler pulley in substitution of the pump?

Do you keep the pump and tank and just loop the lines to essentially bypass the sway bars? (I'd think this would be the easier thing)

Has anyone done this successfully?

TIA!
      04-27-2021, 09:35 AM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

I ask this because these are expensive as a mofo from BMW. On my car- for example, F sway bar is $2,230.03, and R sway bar is $2,192.15. With tax where I'm at that's $4787 on TWO SWAY BARS. You can find them used for a fraction of the cost but with no idea how much life they have left, or if they are leaking when you buy them.

There's a dude in the E90 forums that was able to re-seal his, by essentially packing it with a ton of epoxy lol (hey, whatever works! ). But I wouldn't really do that to my car.

I guess I don't know if simply replacing them with solid M5 or aftermarket sways, and looping the hose ends with adapters would work... OR... if a restrictor is required at each loop so that there's some resistance for the pump (to behave as if the stock sway bars are there).

Any experience or educated thoughts on this?
Buddys550169.50
      05-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
I gotthatzumzum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 550i - 09 135i - 17 328d

I don't have experience, but since no one else has responded, I'll at least take a crack at it.

For the mechanical side:
-Car could be optioned with either dynamic suspension or regular, which leads me to believe that you can probably interchange the sway bars between the two. It'd be expensive to design and manufacturer 2 different types that are not interchangeable for the same car. Only way to validate this, though, is to get a replacement stock/aftermarket sway bar and try it out. Don't forget, it will definitely change the way the car feels.
-As far as the pump, you could just buy a new accessory drive belt that measures short enough to take the pump completely out of the loop. At that point, you could drain it and let it sit, or plug it and move on. I'd choose the former, if it were me. I can't see any other issues either way if you went this route, other than ensuring you get the belt the correct length. That'd save you having to build brackets and shit to support an idler pulley, or to try and build a loop for it. May actually gain a little parasitic drivetrain loss back by taking it out of the loop, too.

For the electrical side:
-Similar to mechanical side, the car could be optioned with either or. I'd be willing to bet if you found someone good at coding these cars, you could probably have the dynamic suspension coded out. The only challenge is, if it comes all as one package programming wise, your EDC may not work either, which will probably lead to a horrible ride. At that point, you may have to look into going with a coilover conversion and an EDC delete, like the module KW offers.

I honestly don't think it'd be too difficult to do, but depending on what a good coder advises as far as programming the car, you may need to get into it $2k-$3k to still have a good quality capable car, which nears the cost of replacement, especially if you can find the dynamic bars remanned, and you can replace them yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 11:44 PM   #4
headlock
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10 535d, e46 m3

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1141415

looks like dynamic sway bar is option code 229. If it's something that can be individually spec'd (in addition to EDC) you should just be able code it out by disabling that option in ISTA or whatever you are using.

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367074

looks like it's been done before (although he disabled the other stuff at the same time)
Appreciate 0