2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions DIY: 8HP Transmission Fluid Service

03-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #23
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

I have no idea. At first I was confused at which way to turn it... and then I saw the arrows haha. I’m not sure if it’s because my Allen key set was $5 from
Harbor freight.

On a side note, did anyone feel a noticeable difference after? I have xhp.. might be placebo but feels like shifts are smoother
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #24
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
I have no idea. At first I was confused at which way to turn it... and then I saw the arrows haha. I’m not sure if it’s because my Allen key set was $5 from
Harbor freight.

On a side note, did anyone feel a noticeable difference after? I have xhp.. might be placebo but feels like shifts are smoother
Definitely feels smoother, especially during low gear kickdowns when you come to a stop. Don't think it's just placebo, almost everyone who does a transmission service reports a smoother transmission
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #25
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

First drive after changing mine yesterday and she feels good. I'd noticed shift quality had dimensioned somewhat after 125k miles. Feels much smoother now. I've only driven about 10 miles so far so we'll see as the miles accumulate.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 07:45 PM   #26
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnsandman View Post
First drive after changing mine yesterday and she feels good. I'd noticed shift quality had dimensioned somewhat after 125k miles. Feels much smoother now. I've only driven about 10 miles so far so we'll see as the miles accumulate.
You changed for the first time at 125k? Dang. ZF suggests to do this at 60k.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #27
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:
You changed for the first time at 125k? Dang. ZF suggests to do this at 60k.
I don't know his situation but most owners don't think of changing their fluid. My previous owner didn't even think of it before I got it so I have ab 100k with no fluid changed
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #28
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't sure if changing the fluid around that time was a good idea but if everything seems fine it'll def give me more confidence to do my car with 100k miles
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:52 PM   #29
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Vasha View Post
I don't know his situation but most owners don't think of changing their fluid. My previous owner didn't even think of it before I got it so I have ab 100k with no fluid changed
Yep, an unfortunate side effect of BMW's "lifetime" marketing.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #30
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Does anyone know if the bmw f10 automatic has a transmission oil cooler that is operated by a valve? I heard that some cars that have this need to be driven up to a certain temp in the fluid in order to get the correct level acquired. Don't know if our cars have it though...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:18 AM   #31
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone know if the bmw f10 automatic has a transmission oil cooler that is operated by a valve? I heard that some cars that have this need to be driven up to a certain temp in the fluid in order to get the correct level acquired. Don't know if our cars have it though...
Pretty sure we do, the part shows up for me in realoem. There's a specific procedure outlined in newTIS that addresses flushing out the lines/cooler, but there's so little volume relative to the rest of the system in there that it's not worth it as long as you do regular changes. Only time you need to do the entire flush IIRC is if you're swapping transmissions or doing an entire trans rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #32
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Pretty sure we do, the part shows up for me in realoem. There's a specific procedure outlined in newTIS that addresses flushing out the lines/cooler, but there's so little volume relative to the rest of the system in there that it's not worth it as long as you do regular changes. Only time you need to do the entire flush IIRC is if you're swapping transmissions or doing an entire trans rebuild.
That's the thing. This is the only time I changed the fluid. I think I'm gonna go back and get it done. Gonna be a pain in the ass but I'd rather do it this way for piece of mind. I did this job this past weekend so I am assuming the lines and oil cooler had fluid flow through them. The question is would I need to drive the car again today past the 75 degree Celsius or just bring the car in and top it up during the 30 degree to 40 degree mark.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #33
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's the thing. This is the only time I changed the fluid. I think I'm gonna go back and get it done. Gonna be a pain in the ass but I'd rather do it this way for piece of mind. I did this job this past weekend so I am assuming the lines and oil cooler had fluid flow through them. The question is would I need to drive the car again today past the 75 degree Celsius or just bring the car in and top it up during the 30 degree to 40 degree mark.
The better bet is probably to just do two fluid changes a week apart. That'll change out close to all of the fluid. If you purchased the fluid from FCPEuro, it'll cost you nothing pretty much.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #34
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The better bet is probably to just do two fluid changes a week apart. That'll change out close to all of the fluid. If you purchased the fluid from FCPEuro, it'll cost you nothing pretty much.
I agree, that's one nice thing about their lifetime policy
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #35
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
I agree, that's one nice thing about their lifetime fluid.
There's no such thing as "lifetime" fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #36
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
I agree, that's one nice thing about their lifetime fluid.
There's no such thing as "lifetime" fluid.
Sorry I meant fcps lifetime policy
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #37
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Sorry I meant fcps lifetime policy
Gotcha...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #38
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
FCP allows you to do that? Change out fluids at any time interval and they'll just send you new ones?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #39
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
FCP allows you to do that? Change out fluids at any time interval and they'll just send you new ones?
Yup, they have that policy with every part. Including oils and maintenance items that are changed on the regular. You can check their website if you wanna make sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #40
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yup. They advertise that part of the warranty heavily. As in, they email people going "did you know you can return used engine oil to us? here, here's a youtube video on how to do it". People wonder how they stay in business, and it's because the first time you buy it, it's on you, meaning they're always 1 order ahead of you. They're basically just capping their profit margins for certain items. Along with the fact that their items are a little pricier than competitors (ECS Tuning for example), but I think that warranty more than makes up for it.

I changed my transmission fluid 3 times in 2 months. Not a peep from them, and total cost to me in the end was the price of 1 fluid change.
Appreciate 1
Sylverlee150.00
      05-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #41
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

The instructions from ZF have a flowchart with various YES/NO flows including oil coolers and the like. The BMW process in ISTA (which is what I used when I actually did the work) has no such dependency on opening coolers etc... Obviously opening the cooler would require temperatures WAY higher than for setting level and you need to let it cool 6-8 hours again.

If your car had a cooler that MUST be opened to properly set the level, then ISTA would walk you through that based on your VIN.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #42
Dylan18
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535XI

Hey Unspec

Thanks for taking the time to do this post.

I just finished mine as well
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #43
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan18 View Post
Hey Unspec

I just finished mine as well
Glad to help. Hope it went smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #44
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan18 View Post
Hey Unspec

I realize that I forgot to give my thanks to Unspec too. I appreciate that you took the time to do a write up, pictures, instructions and tips etc.... It all helps the DIY community.
Appreciate 1
Unspec1265.00