2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Wrap project

11-15-2017, 05:42 AM   #67
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuthy335 View Post
- if it's an f10 with the side turn indicators on the mirrors. It shouldn't be hard cause only half of it is painted and the rest is black.
I unfortunately have the pre-LCI F10 with the LDW cameras under the mirrors. The top half of the mirror and the entire inside edge is painted, which is tricky to wrap.

To make things worse, your mirror cap pulls forward off the car, but mine pulls up. I broke all the small clips inside the cap and a few of the big clips while removing them the first time, and looking under the mirror cap, I still have no idea how it's supposed to come off without damage Couldn't find anything on forums either.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #68
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i montego blue - 2011

Garage List
Thanks a lot for those answers!! They're very helpful.

For the bumper, do you have a picture of how the parking sensors look when you wrap over them? I envision the deep recesses to be very difficult and will take a lot of pieces to get done. If you have a diagram of which separate pieces you use it might help the rest of us a lot

For the door handle insert, I'm actually talking about the silver piece. Maybe I didn't give it enough heat for the corners to go in, I'm not sure...

Sick wrap on the Subaru! I really like the CF details you put in [/QUOTE]

Glad I was able to help. Thank you for the kind words on the Subaru. That car was not an easy task. Lol

- the silver on the door handle insert. That's easy. Lay a piece on top. Smooth it out, the heat it and let it shrink into the curves. Push and get it in the cracks and cut it out the excess.

- I don't have a pic of where the parking sensors are. If you zoom in on my pics. You won't be able to tell where the sensors are I let it cover it and just didn't press into inane let the sun bake into it and conform to the area. I like. It seeing those dots.

- on the front bumper recesses, I learned from another guy. Make a pattern using painters tape. I would take painters tape and tape those inside recesses. Then peel it off as a whole. Lay that tape the back side of the vinyl them cut the pattern out and lay it in the recesses. I hope what I said made sense. If not let me know I'll try and explain better.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 09:37 PM   #69
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antaholics View Post
Quote:
- if it's an f10 with the side turn indicators on the mirrors. It shouldn't be hard cause only half of it is painted and the rest is black.
I unfortunately have the pre-LCI F10 with the LDW cameras under the mirrors. The top half of the mirror and the entire inside edge is painted, which is tricky to wrap.

To make things worse, your mirror cap pulls forward off the car, but mine pulls up. I broke all the small clips inside the cap and a few of the big clips while removing them the first time, and looking under the mirror cap, I still have no idea how it's supposed to come off without damage Couldn't find anything on forums either.
I have the pre lci also. Those side mirrors are the least of my worries right now. Lol. It's still factory color on my car. I'm thinking about hanging the color of my car again. LMAO. this would be the 4th time.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #70
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep

One more question came up while looking over my car. How did you wrap the roof rails? I notice you wrapped over the pop-up pieces which is fine, but if I remember right there's a very thin black plastic piece attached to the roof rails. Does that come off for wrapping under it?

Also, how far did you wrap into the door frame?

I'm receiving my vinyl today so I'm pretty excited to get started
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #71
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One more question came up while looking over my car. How did you wrap the roof rails? I notice you wrapped over the pop-up pieces which is fine, but if I remember right there's a very thin black plastic piece attached to the roof rails. Does that come off for wrapping under it?

Also, how far did you wrap into the door frame?

I'm receiving my vinyl today so I'm pretty excited to get started
Are you talking about the long piece that goes all the way down to the bottom of the windshield? If so I didn't take it off. I just wrapped it where it is and tucked it in between the lines. And covered the pop pup pieces of the roof rails along the way. I'm never gonna use it. Lol. And for the door frame. I only went in about half an inch at the most. I wouldn't worry to much about getting far in there. It's gonna give you a lot of headache. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #72
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I'm really tempted to try this over the winter as my car hibernates.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:22 AM   #73
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Do it! ?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #74
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I'm really tempted to try this over the winter as my car hibernates.
Let me design something for it! hahaha
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #75
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
Let me design something for it! hahaha
that would be AWESOME!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 04:17 AM   #76
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep

Alright so I started my wrap project (I'll start a separate thread on that so I don't derail your thread ), and I ran into a few things already...

1. How do you wrap the headlight portion of the front fenders? The concave part near the headlights keep ripping when I try to tuck it under the headlights. Looking at guides for removing the headlight it seems like too much work. Is there a way to easily loosen the fender or the headlights a little bit?

2. How do you tuck under the doors' window trims? Is there an easy way to remove those?

I'm very quickly starting to realize that removing parts or loosening them is a lot more difficult than the wrapping itself
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #77
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Alright so I started my wrap project (I'll start a separate thread on that so I don't derail your thread ), and I ran into a few things already...

1. How do you wrap the headlight portion of the front fenders? The concave part near the headlights keep ripping when I try to tuck it under the headlights. Looking at guides for removing the headlight it seems like too much work. Is there a way to easily loosen the fender or the headlights a little bit?

2. How do you tuck under the doors' window trims? Is there an easy way to remove those?

I'm very quickly starting to realize that removing parts or loosening them is a lot more difficult than the wrapping itself
You don't have to start a separate thread. I don't mind you posting yours here at all. If anything it would help others on here to see different members at work under one thread. I'm all for sharing. ?. I'm actually gonna wrap my car again here soon. Gonna change color again. Lol. So I'll post and keep adding on to the thread.

1. With or without removing the headlight on that concave area. You can get it to conform into the area and under. Just lightly heat it and push it in little by little. When you heat the vinyl you'll be able to tuck it in easily in that area.

2. I didn't remove my window trim to tuck the vinyl in. If your squeegee is thin enough on the edge. You should be able use that and push the vinyl under it for a nice tuck. Or use a credit card or something and gently push it under. That should give it a nice tuck. If you use a credit card or some sort. Too much pressure will rip the vinyl pretty easily. Be careful with that. Then I use an exacto knife and slide the blade underneath to make the cut.

You shouldn't need to remove too many parts at all for the f10. Door handles (easy), tail lights (easy), headlights, (if bumper is off should be easy. I would highly recommend removing the headlights. Then put bumper back on to wrap). Grill, emblems, reflectors (if needed)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #78
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You don't have to start a separate thread. I don't mind you posting yours here at all. If anything it would help others on here to see different members at work under one thread. I'm all for sharing. ?. I'm actually gonna wrap my car again here soon. Gonna change color again. Lol. So I'll post and keep adding on to the thread.

1. With or without removing the headlight on that concave area. You can get it to conform into the area and under. Just lightly heat it and push it in little by little. When you heat the vinyl you'll be able to tuck it in easily in that area.

2. I didn't remove my window trim to tuck the vinyl in. If your squeegee is thin enough on the edge. You should be able use that and push the vinyl under it for a nice tuck. Or use a credit card or something and gently push it under. That should give it a nice tuck. If you use a credit card or some sort. Too much pressure will rip the vinyl pretty easily. Be careful with that. Then I use an exacto knife and slide the blade underneath to make the cut.

You shouldn't need to remove too many parts at all for the f10. Door handles (easy), tail lights (easy), headlights, (if bumper is off should be easy. I would highly recommend removing the headlights. Then put bumper back on to wrap). Grill, emblems, reflectors (if needed)

The bottom of the headlight is very tight to the quarter panel and I wan't able to get it tucked in without ripping ... what am I doing wrong here?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #79
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

[IMG] https://faphjw.bn1302.livefilestore....&cropmode=none[/IMG]

The bottom of the headlight is very tight to the quarter panel and I wan't able to get it tucked in without ripping ... what am I doing wrong here?
Heat and fold in a little so that it hooks. Then cut the excess vinyl off leaving about quarter of an inch hanging past the edges. After you cut, now beginning to fold in. If it becomes tight. Give it a little heat and it'll loosen up and then tuck in. Are you using a glove that's design for wrapping cars or just bare hands? The gloves makes a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #80
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Heat and fold in a little so that it hooks. Then cut the excess vinyl off leaving about quarter of an inch hanging past the edges. After you cut, now beginning to fold in. If it becomes tight. Give it a little heat and it'll loosen up and then tuck in. Are you using a glove that's design for wrapping cars or just bare hands? The gloves makes a huge difference.
Thank you, I'll give that a try along with a thinner squeegee I found. I am using wrapping gloves and it does help a lot
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #81
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, I'll give that a try along with a thinner squeegee I found. I am using wrapping gloves and it does help a lot
After you get it to hook. Then when you apply some more heat it'll start to curl in on its own. You just use your fingers to guided in smoothly
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #82
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

There’s a way to loosen the fender so you can bring it away from the headlight. Highly recommend looking into this, when I had mine wrapped, that part kept lifting up over time because you need to clean/prep that area properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #83
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
There’s a way to loosen the fender so you can bring it away from the headlight. Highly recommend looking into this, when I had mine wrapped, that part kept lifting up over time because you need to clean/prep that area properly.
Any idea how to do this easily? I think there's a few bolts at the top under the hood, but I'm not sure if that's sufficient to loosen the fender...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #84
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Any idea how to do this easily? I think there's a few bolts at the top under the hood, but I'm not sure if that's sufficient to loosen the fender...
Following up on my own question here... I tried the "heat and tuck" method with a scrap piece and it still ripped tucking under the headlight. I'm not sure if my headlight and fender just are on extra tight... but loosening the fender is pretty painful.

Bottom side:
You first have to take off 3 bolts holding the wheel well liner (easy), and then with one hand peel back the liner, and with the other hand undo 3 bolts holding the bumper to the fender. The bolts are hard to reach and the fender is hard to hold in place even with the wheel turned. Two of them are 8mm bolts and the last one is a 10mm.

Top:
Remove the 8 or 10 clips holding the weather molding under the hood, and then remove the first 3 or 4 bolts (10mm) holding the fender

After all of this is done, there's one more "U" shaped clip attaching the fender to the headlight assembly.. you need to push the fender inwards a little bit to undo that clip, and it will release from the headlight
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:11 AM   #85
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

seeing those wrinkles i would think when you heat you need to pull in opposite direction. i know this from wrapping my mirrors. also like mentioned above it could be still dirty or not clean and thus the wrap isn't holding?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:10 AM   #86
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Man I'm not sure why that area is causing such a headache for you. I don't understand it. I tucked and sealed that area pretty quickly with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #87
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Man I'm not sure why that area is causing such a headache for you. I don't understand it. I tucked and sealed that area pretty quickly with no problems.
I'm not sure either. I suspect it's a combination of:

1. my headlights being tighter to the fender (I can barely fit a squeegee in there, even when loosened)
2. the KPMF film I bought being less flexible/forgiving, therefore ripping easily
3. slightly colder environment and cheaper squeegee with more friction, leading to rips

Anyways I'm done that portion for now and finished the rear quarter panel before I went on vacation. Will continue in a week!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #88
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure either. I suspect it's a combination of:

1. my headlights being tighter to the fender (I can barely fit a squeegee in there, even when loosened)
2. the KPMF film I bought being less flexible/forgiving, therefore ripping easily
3. slightly colder environment and cheaper squeegee with more friction, leading to rips

Anyways I'm done that portion for now and finished the rear quarter panel before I went on vacation. Will continue in a week!
I think I'm gonna go with #2. And then #3. Lol.
Appreciate 0