2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2012 528i Fuel System issues!

07-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
dinnjinn92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Exclamation 2012 528i Fuel System issues!

Hey all:

I've been enjoying a headache-free life with my 2012 528i until about last month. I was running some errands about a month ago when my car decided to go into limp mode and the fuel system error came up on my iDrive. Checked the code, P142E. The car would absolutely not start after that. It would try to turn over, but it sounded like the fuel line was dry. I reset the code and had to wait about an hour to turn on again. Took it to a BMW dealership here in Phoenix and was told that the pressure sensor may be bad but that it was possibly the HPFP (it honestly sounds like they have no idea what is going on with it).

So like most of us, I took the car home, replaced the HPFP and pressure sensor and the car ran fine for about a week. It decided to it again but came back on after about 10 minutes. Code again was P142E. I figured it may be just a bad fuel pump as i'm approaching 95k miles and i don't know what service was done prior to me owning it. Replaced the fuel pump and got on the road. Things seemed fine until it decided to go limp again yesterday. First it shows a drivetrain error and then that goes away and shows me just a fuel system error. This time i had two codes, P142E and P0087. It died a total of 3 times on me yesterday and showed me the P142E code only the other two times.

I'm absolutely at a loss, but reading into it a bit more, it seems like I either have a bad HPFP or I may have a bad control module. If i get a new control module though, i will have to figure out a way to get it coded to the vehicle.

Before I throw some more money at this car, i'd like to maybe hear some opinions about this. Is there anything I can do on my end to better diagnose this problem?

I'm not very familiar with OBD software and all that jazz, but i do have a VeePeak scanner if that will help me get anywhere with diagnosing this issue.
Appreciate 0