2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F07 535GT VRSF Intercooler Install

06-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
sku01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 5GT

F07 535GT VRSF Intercooler Install

Apologize for the photos being all out of order... do not know how to put them inline and in order!!!

This weekend got around to installing my VRSF intercooler on my 5GT. I am very pleased with the product and the results as I have been with the charge pipe and downpipe.

It was a tight fit and I had to make slight modifications, but I was expecting that since the GT has little differences compared to the F10, as I have realized with every part I have mod'ed. At first I thought that I had the wrong piece, but thankfully Tiago was very responsive in letting me know that I had the correct one. I wanted to share my experience to help anyone in the future that may run into the same installation questions.

First off, here is a little about my GT Performance Mods:
2014 535i GT
VRSF Downpipe
VRSF Charge Pipe
VRSF HD Intercooler
MHD Stage 2+ E30 (running about E40)
Sprint Booster
BMS Intake

Prior to the Intercooler, my temps always skyrocketed on long pulls, costing me timing, boost and ultimately performance (See attachment). You can see in the image below that the temps would get above 120F at 5K RPM in 4th gear. In multi gear pulls, it could go up to 140F. One main problem on the F07 and F10 is that the tiny stock intercooler sites behind the radiator limiting its cooling capabilities. The VRSF piece is massive and combats that with size and a great fin pack. ***See Attached Photo

A log taken after the intercooler shows much better cooling (See attachment). Temps actually decrease on long pulls (I know this is not new news to most people reading). I am stating the obvious just to show the difference in case someone is not running the proper cooling. Biggest plus is how the car holds boost better due to the lower iats. ***See Attached Photo

Packaging:
Great packaging. Some fins were bent, but more would be bent during install than I needed to worry about. HD fins are so thin and light, they can be bent back into place very easily. Most important that air can flow through them. ***See Attached Photo

Installation:
Did this on jack stands and ramps for safety.

Taking the stock intercooler off is pretty straightforward... not easy... but straight forward.

Remove the bottom dust covers (8mm and a drill) ***See Attached Photo

Using a T25 Torq screwdriver, remove the intercooler tray. This will expose the bottom of the stock intercooler.

The F10 and F07 both have coolant lines that run directly under the clamp areas, and become a real pain the A**. I used the method of loosening the hose clips with picks, then using a flathead to fully pry it loose. Once loose, you can slightly pull the the stock intercooler away and down to start getting a gap in the hose. Passenger side is more challenging since the hose is flexible, however, there is more room on that side to make up for getting 2 hands in there (one to pull the Intercooler, and the other to pull back on the hose. Once both sides are broken free, the intercooler will slide down easily.

***Once it is removed, push the hose clips back in place. It is helpful when installing the VRSF Intercooler.

This is where things got a bit difficult. As seen in the photo below comparing the stock vs the VRSF, you can see there is a very big size difference both in height and width. I spent a good amount of time trying to get the intercooler to slide up straight. The bottom bracket for the radiator was protruding enough to put the intercooler at a weird angle with the end tank inlets. The fins on this intercooler are so fragile and thin (good thing for cooling), and they were getting damaged from my continued efforts to go in at a very slight angle. Seeing that the bottom portion of the radiator brackets was loose and unnecessary, I made the decision to cut off the portion that was not allowing the intercooler to align straight. The removed piece is pictured below. This does not affect the safety of the radiator seeing that the corners, where the brackets are attached to the car, are both still in tact. Once that piece was removed, the intercooler was able to slide up parallel to the radiator and into place. There was a little pressure on the end tank tubes, but with a little force and wiggling went into place.

With some force and awkward positions, both clamps "clicked" in and sealed properly. A little upward force helps to get these in, along with a little pressure towards the passenger compartment. NOTE: Be aware of the coolant lines that ultimately will run under the connection. These can get pinched or damaged during install. ***See attached photo

There were 2 sets of brackets included, and I based on geometry, I opted to go with the longer of the 2. There are many screws, washers and lock washers included. Attaching the bracket to the intercooler, I used the larger of the 2 provided screws sets and to attach to the car, I used the existing T25 screws from the stock. I was only able to get 1 screw in on each side, which I felt was more than sufficient. ***See attached photo

After installed and secured, I noticed that there was a rubber piece attached to the stock air dam... similar to a Squeegee blade. It usually would guide air up the stock intercooler. Since the VRSF hangs a few inches lower, that squeegee was blocking air to the bottom 3 rows of cooling blades and basically prevented air from reaching them at all. ***See Attached Photo I ended up using a couple "Shop License Plates" to extend the bottom of the intercooler and make sure the blade was guiding air to all the intercooler blades. This is only visible from the front air damn, but gave me peace of mind knowing nothing was being wasted. As well, the plastic piece that I cut off from the lower radiator bracket would have also covered a fin, so in the end it was also worth making the modification. ***See Attached Photo

Also ***attached a photo of the VRSF Charge Pipe. High quality piece and works like a charge pipe should.

I will update this thread as I take more logs. Any questions, just ask. Hopefully my experience can help someone in the future!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0