2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums USA - California Am I the only one?

11-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Am I the only one?

ever since I moved to CA whenever I renewed my registration I score the year sticker with a box cutter to prevent theft. anyone else do that?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
ever since I moved to CA whenever I renewed my registration I score the year sticker with a box cutter to prevent theft. anyone else do that?
I have heard of this... My dad used to do it. I tried to remove a stack of stickers off a plate and even the newest one came off in pieces. Since then I didn't see the need to score the sticker.

Is sticker theft still a concern? Still not a bad idea...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc
Quote:
I have heard of this... My dad used to do it. I tried to remove a stack of stickers off a plate and even the newest one came off in pieces. Since then I didn't see the need to score the sticker.

Is sticker theft still a concern? Still not a bad idea...
I dunno if it's italian concern, I was told it was when I moved here and it just became habit. just came to mind today when I got my new sticker. I removed last year's, placed the new one, and out of habit scored the new one.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dunno if it's italian concern, I was told it was when I moved here and it just became habit. just came to mind today when I got my new sticker. I removed last year's, placed the new one, and out of habit scored the new one.
Saw a thing on the news tonight about license plate theft. Either it was a slow news night or theft is on the rise... Then they say it isn't any worse today then in years past.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

It definitely happens. And then you have to pay to have them replaced. So, I definitely score mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
It definitely happens. And then you have to pay to have them replaced. So, I definitely score mine.
Does scoring stop the thief? Why wouldn't they just take the whole plate? Wouldn't you still need to replace the sticker if someone tried to steal it?

So many questions.....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:55 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Does scoring stop the thief? Why wouldn't they just take the whole plate? Wouldn't you still need to replace the sticker if someone tried to steal it?

So many questions.....
It was recommended by worker at DMV awhile ago. I figured it happened enough that it was worth mentioning and following advise. I know friends and family members who had theirs taken and even did not know until pulled over or received parking tickets.

Thief is risking getting caught, so these are just ways increase the required effort and time. I am certainly not going to make it easy like some plates with stacks of stickers carelessly put partially on plate and frame.

I always take off old tags, apply newly scored, and then put behind border frame. It is not going to completely stop theft and I may just have been lucky, but I have not lost any so far. I am assuming thief wants complete tag to use on their unregistered vehicle, so hopefully they realize it is too much work before both of us are without stickers.

And yes, they could take entire plate. That just takes more time, but at least I have a second unused one (ie no front plate). Like wheel locks, I have even seen some take it one step further and use specialty screws, with or without a clear plastic cover.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Msport

Quote:
Yup! Have done it for all my cars and will definitely continue to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:16 AM   #9
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

I do the same with mine.
Appreciate 0