2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs New wax on top of old wax?

10-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
jmmdm2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 528i xdrive M-Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
New wax on top of old wax?

Purchased some Pinnacle Black Label Synergy which delivers tomorrow. I just detailed Sunday... wash, clay, medium compound, polish and finished with an average liquid wax. MeGuire's NXT Gen Tech Wax does a good job but I wanted to see what the more expensive product could do.

Should I remove the NXT and start from a clean polish or just wash and wax with the Pinnacle?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmdm2 View Post
Purchased some Pinnacle Black Label Synergy which delivers tomorrow. I just detailed Sunday... wash, clay, medium compound, polish and finished with an average liquid wax. MeGuire's NXT Gen Tech Wax does a good job but I wanted to see what the more expensive product could do.

Should I remove the NXT and start from a clean polish or just wash and wax with the Pinnacle?
I've pretty much always layered different waxes. I just put CG's Butterwax over Collinite. I may even put a layer of Collinite over the Butterwax...

The only wax I don't layer-over is Zaino. More layers of Zaino just makes the shine deeper and deeper!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I think you're fine. my go to and it also consist of layers is CG's JetSeal, BlackLight and ButterWet Wax.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Go on Pinnacle's website and look under the application instructions. Certain waxes liked to applied on freshly corrected paintwork instead of being layered on other waxes. Personally, I would apply it on it's own to fully experience the feel, and gloss of the new wax instead of layering it on top of your old wax. That's just me .02 cents though.

Last edited by harris69; 10-25-2018 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
jmmdm244.50
      10-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
jmmdm2
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
Go on Pinnacle's website and look under the application instructions. Certain waxes liked to applied on freshly corrected paintwork instead of being layered on other waxes. Personally, I would apply it on it's own to fully experience the feel, and gloss of the new wax instead of layering it on top of your old wax. That's just me .02 cents though.
Yup, always a good idea to read directions.

It's suggested to remove anything that would prevent bonding to the paint including previous wax. Of course another Pinnacle product is the suggested prep for the wax but I like their products and ordering from Autogeek. Might as well have one of everything.

I could use the Blackfire polish to prep the paint but I'll wait for the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish to show up. No surprise, it's going to rain again in CT... we do have a county and town named New London so I suppose the weather fits.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Never been to New London but my brother used to live in Hartford, and my sister lives in Providence, RI so I am quite familiar with the weather there.

Detailing is my passion, and despite two recent big orders from autogeek I haven't had the time to even wash my car once this year. And with the colder temps, and life getting in the way (in general) I am not sure if I am going to have 30-40 hours to do a full paint correction on my F10.

http://s431.photobucket.com/user/muayboran30/slideshow/

Last edited by harris69; 10-25-2018 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #7
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

F30 in the link took me 44 hours to paint correct. It was a nightmare as paintwork was heavily swirled, and interior had never been cleaned ever. Plus the previous owners had dogs, and cats they took everywhere with them.
Appreciate 1
jmmdm244.50
      10-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #8
jmmdm2
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
F30 in the link took me 44 hours to paint correct. It was a nightmare as paintwork was heavily swirled, and interior had never been cleaned ever. Plus the previous owners had dogs, and cats they took everywhere with them.
That's quite a collection of detailing material. Autogeek just sent me another coupon so I'll work an adding to my arsenal.

You're stating detailing hours that I hadn't even considered! Makes me think I may not be spending enough time prepping my paint before waxing. I noticed the top of the trunk had swirl marks remaining after my initial attempt at paint correction. I used a med/light compound and pad followed by a very light pad with blackfire polish. My plan is to start as light as possible and proceed to a heavier cut compound and/or pad if necessary. I experimented on the trunk lid and I did see an improvement... swirls are almost gone but I've found some deeper scratches that I can just catch my nail on. Not sure how to handle those. Could require a strip and re-clear.

Providence is one of my favorite cities. If the wife and I weren't in Boston for the weekend, we were in Providence. Your sister ever mention Waterfire? It's a great time and we've been to all of them. I'm always in the garage at Providence place... as high as necessary to find the super wide parking spots with no one near me. If I ever make it there without hitting rain, I'll attempt some of those obligatory parking garage shots everyone posts (if I can follow the tips from remmib in his posts).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmdm2 View Post
That's quite a collection of detailing material. Autogeek just sent me another coupon so I'll work an adding to my arsenal.

You're stating detailing hours that I hadn't even considered! Makes me think I may not be spending enough time prepping my paint before waxing. I noticed the top of the trunk had swirl marks remaining after my initial attempt at paint correction. I used a med/light compound and pad followed by a very light pad with blackfire polish. My plan is to start as light as possible and proceed to a heavier cut compound and/or pad if necessary. I experimented on the trunk lid and I did see an improvement... swirls are almost gone but I've found some deeper scratches that I can just catch my nail on. Not sure how to handle those. Could require a strip and re-clear.

Providence is one of my favorite cities. If the wife and I weren't in Boston for the weekend, we were in Providence. Your sister ever mention Waterfire? It's a great time and we've been to all of them. I'm always in the garage at Providence place... as high as necessary to find the super wide parking spots with no one near me. If I ever make it there without hitting rain, I'll attempt some of those obligatory parking garage shots everyone posts (if I can follow the tips from remmib in his posts).
Well, not all cars require 44 hours of paint correction but I have never spent less than 14 hours on any car that I have ever owned. Most of it is due to washing, and rewashing that is involved in the early stages of paint correction (and using two bucket wash method, before I got wise and bought a pressure washer). Once paint is fully de-contaminated (wash, then IronX, wash, claybar, wash, and then dry) then comes the difficult task of masking off everything that you don't want your pads to touch. And only after that I start evaluating the paintwork. If paintwork is getting two-stage paint correction (if paintwork needs heavy compounding) then you can easily tie up 7-8 hours just in compounding/polishing alone. Then comes a final rinse or IPA wipedown, and then time to put LSP on.

It took me 26 hours to do paint correction on my 12 Volvo S60 R-Design as the car was purchased used but only took 14 hours on my 2015 Honda Odyssey that I purchased new ( told the dealership not to touch or get anyone near the paint)

I have been to Providence a handful of times but it has always been a short stay and never went anywhere besides the mall which was very close from my sister's apartment. My brother (when he lived in Providence) lived in those lofts (that was once a cotton factory) and I remember crossing the street to the mall. But I was always exhausted from long drives from Asheville to take extensive tours of the town. My sister recently relocated to Portland, and it was an awesome experience visiting Portland.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #10
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Anytime you can feel a scratch with your nail it means scratch is below the clear, and therefore shouldn't be messed with. If detailing interests you start following Ammo NYC, Forensic Detailing Channel, WhiteDetails, Car Craft Auto Detailing (my favorite detailing channel) .
Appreciate 0