2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media What did you do to your 5 series today?

07-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #2377
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Had an extra gift card laying around that I got from work that was a PITA to use (online purchase only), so I used it to replace my ugly key fob with a new one from Gate Innovations. In hindsight, should have saved the money for the steering wheel re-wrap project, but I also love the new key. It's folds better than the cheap-looking/feeling original key fob.

2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)

Last edited by spielnicht; 07-22-2021 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
Unspec1295.00
      07-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #2378
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
Had an extra gift card laying around that I got from work that was a PITA to use (online purchase only), so I used it to replace my ugly key fob with a new one from Gate Innovations. In hindsight, should have saved the money for the steering wheel re-wrap project, but I also love the new key. It's folds better than the cheap-looking/feeling original key fob.

That looks really good. I've been thinking about doing this. Is the physical key cut for your car or is it a blank?
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 02:47 PM   #2379
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
Yes, the key is cut as part of the purchase.

I know it's not the cheapest of "nice to have non necessities", but it does feel so great in the hand, especially the weight and material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
That looks really good. I've been thinking about doing this. Is the physical key cut for your car or is it a blank?
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #2380
Heat/Dolphins78
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

2015 F10 535i M Sport

Hi guys,
I am a new to the forum as far as posting but I I have keep up for a couple of years. I have done the following upgrades to the car since I purchased it. I have lowered the car using H&R spring and used spacers to make it look more aggressive. In the engine side I have upgraded the following:
VRSF down pipe
VRSF Charge pipe
VRSF Racing Intercooler
BMS air intake
Dorch upgraded high pressure fuel pump stage 1
Bmode3 stage 2 + e30

I am extremely happy with the performance that of the car!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #2381
lukavergille
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i F10

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [9.50]
Got back in town and ruined the front lip on steep driveway. Shouldn't have tried to conquer "slopes" with lowered car I guess Anyways new reason to upgrade to CF Lip
Attached Images

Last edited by lukavergille; 07-30-2021 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #2382
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Finally tackling the wiring for the active headrest restraints on the retrofitted comfort seats. Wanted to add the wiring for the ambient lighting on the seat backs (seats are from F07) but ran out of plugs from my salvage harness lol.

Also repainting the seat rails, since the paint is chipping and starting to get surface rust. Did you know that ONE of the 4 bolts holding the seat rail to the rest of the seat is LEFT HAND THREAD?! WHY BMW WHY?! My guess is to fuck DIYers who don't have the repair manual and make them strip out the bolt, since the repair manual points out the left hand thread. Luckily, the left hand thread bolts also have a 7mm hex "tail", so I was able to still get it out with no special tools, but fuck if that isn't stupid. For posterity and for those who might take the seat rail off: it's the only bolt that faces outside, don't fuck it up like I did.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 12:36 AM   #2383
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Finally tackling the wiring for the active headrest restraints on the retrofitted comfort seats. Wanted to add the wiring for the ambient lighting on the seat backs (seats are from F07) but ran out of plugs from my salvage harness lol.

Also repainting the seat rails, since the paint is chipping and starting to get surface rust. Did you know that ONE of the 4 bolts holding the seat rail to the rest of the seat is LEFT HAND THREAD?! WHY BMW WHY?! My guess is to fuck DIYers who don't have the repair manual and make them strip out the bolt, since the repair manual points out the left hand thread. Luckily, the left hand thread bolts also have a 7mm hex "tail", so I was able to still get it out with no special tools, but fuck if that isn't stupid. For posterity and for those who might take the seat rail off: it's the only bolt that faces outside, don't fuck it up like I did.
Yea, I found out the hard way. I broke one of my torx bit trying to swap seat rails a few months back 😓. BMW could be evil sometime. I don't see any reason why it need to be reverse threaded.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 05:23 PM   #2384
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I finally tore apart my ceramic iDrive controller to remove the plastic ring that's been causing it to "stick" when rotating it. Also cleaned some gunk out from under the buttons that was causing issues with the menu button sticking sometimes. Works perfectly now!

I also replaced the iDrive screen trim since the original had some paint chips from the previous owner somehow.

Also replaced the timing chain tensioner as I now have 123,000 miles and am trying to be proactive and limit any potential future issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #2385
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
Yea, I found out the hard way. I broke one of my torx bit trying to swap seat rails a few months back ��. BMW could be evil sometime. I don't see any reason why it need to be reverse threaded.
Yea, I tried hard to think of a reason and there just really isn't any. It's like BMW went "alright, we need ONE asshole design on the chair, but it can't be obvious" and decided to reverse thread a single bolt.

On the bright side, got my G11 brake calipers for my custom BBK upgrade powder coated Illusion Orange. They REALLY pop in the sun, the photos don't do them justice. The photo is from the powder coater, so it's kind of potato. I'll post a better one when the sun is out, been cloudy all day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      08-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #2386
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice! Will you be using 750 rotors as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #2387
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
These look great!

Doing the same but with the smaller G11 caliper so I can just reuse my OEM 348x36 discs which I just recently got anyway. Yes, I'm only doing it for the looks. Lol.

Which brake lines are you going with?

Quote:
Yea, I tried hard to think of a reason and there just really isn't any. It's like BMW went "alright, we need ONE asshole design on the chair, but it can't be obvious" and decided to reverse thread a single bolt.

On the bright side, got my G11 brake calipers for my custom BBK upgrade powder coated Illusion Orange. They REALLY pop in the sun, the photos don't do them justice. The photo is from the powder coater, so it's kind of potato. I'll post a better one when the sun is out, been cloudy all day.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)

Last edited by spielnicht; 08-02-2021 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #2388
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Quote:

They look pretty sick kid...You get these powder coated in Newark??.. if not where did you go?
      08-02-2021, 10:40 PM   #2389
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
Nice! Will you be using 750 rotors as well?
760 rotors. The 750 rotors have a larger hat, and would require trimming of the brake pads, so I went with the 760 which have a smaller hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
These look great!

Doing the same but with the smaller G11 caliper so I can just reuse my OEM 348x36 discs which I just recently got anyway. Yes, I'm only doing it for the looks. Lol.

Which brake lines are you going with?
Thanks! Well, and so you don't have to fight that rattle clip anymore! The back loaded pads make everything so much easier. I thought about going with the smaller ones, but I really wanted to fill up the 343M's a bit more and the current 348's just didn't do that. The rotors are noticeably heavier than the 348's, so I'm definitely going to lose a bit of performance, but oh well.

Went with Goodridge lines, but direct from Goodridge out of the UK. The UK ones still conform to DOT standards and allow you to choose the color of the rubber protective layer that goes over the stainless lines, so I got them in "OEM" black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesmarinara75 View Post
They look pretty sick kid...You get these powder coated in Newark??.. if not where did you go?
Union, but I'm kind of iffy on recommending where I went, the finer attention to detail wasn't amazing. The masking job wasn't the nicest and you can see where the tape pulled some powder off. The "show" parts of the calipers look great, but the non-visible areas were noticeably rougher in terms of detail. I've heard good things about Need Powder coating though.

Tried to install over the weekend, but turns out I need a 3mm spacer to clear the calipers. I thought I didn't need it based on my previous fit up, but I didn't account for the 5mm washers needed to center up the calipers. So instead, here's a better photo lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      08-03-2021, 03:53 AM   #2390
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
No bullshit, Billy @ Need Powder Coating is prob best in this area, he kills it and he makes sure its done right I've got several item powder coated from him, always happy with his work
      08-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #2391
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Just noticed your Signature!

'Wallet Regret' love it

Quote:
760 rotors. The 750 rotors have a larger hat, and would require trimming of the brake pads, so I went with the 760 which have a smaller hat.

Thanks! Well, and so you don't have to fight that rattle clip anymore! The back loaded pads make everything so much easier. I thought about going with the smaller ones, but I really wanted to fill up the 343M's a bit more and the current 348's just didn't do that. The rotors are noticeably heavier than the 348's, so I'm definitely going to lose a bit of performance, but oh well.

Went with Goodridge lines, but direct from Goodridge out of the UK. The UK ones still conform to DOT standards and allow you to choose the color of the rubber protective layer that goes over the stainless lines, so I got them in "OEM" black.

Union, but I'm kind of iffy on recommending where I went, the finer attention to detail wasn't amazing. The masking job wasn't the nicest and you can see where the tape pulled some powder off. The "show" parts of the calipers look great, but the non-visible areas were noticeably rougher in terms of detail. I've heard good things about Need Powder coating though.

Tried to install over the weekend, but turns out I need a 3mm spacer to clear the calipers. I thought I didn't need it based on my previous fit up, but I didn't account for the 5mm washers needed to center up the calipers. So instead, here's a better photo lol
Appreciate 1
Unspec1295.00
      08-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #2392
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
True and true. I use the term "hate" lightly but god I HATE that rattle clip and it just looks nasty behind the 343m wheels. I agree with you that the 370s and medium sized caliper will look much nicer than the smaller caliper and 348s.

Bummer about the wheel spacing - I remember you noting that you liked the look of the 343m without any spacers. I was about to pull the trigger on the 3mm spacers (to go down from 10mm) when the whole caliper upgrade idea came to me. I'm hoping I can still avoid a spacer all together since I'm going with the smaller caliper upgrade. Fingers crossed.

Quote:

2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 1
Unspec1295.00
      08-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #2393
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:

HAH, that spacer throws off the retrofit man, I had the same thing happen, if I didn't use the 4mm spacer to align the x5m calipers to the rotors, my wheels would have sit well. But now I've got the 3mm spacers which are still quite close to the caliper. Im using the Titan Wheel spacers from amazon (guess I got the last set since I dont see the 5x120 option there anymore) but they are good. This caliper set looks pretty sick! and the 374x36 rotor from the 760i is perfect size too. I feel I've slowed down my car with the added rotational mass of the 17kg X5m rotor!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #2394
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

I also made another small change, but turns out it requires a new connector AND slight modification of the cover.. but the mirror looks really nice..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 05:07 AM   #2395
asian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

Quote:

These look amazing! Gelly
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #2396
marek555
Enlisted Member
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535d, BMW E46 328i

Retrofitted soft colse door locks:

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #2397
zvery777