E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How much SHOULD this cost?

03-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #23
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

It would be more like running them through the entire
wash plant on Gold Rush.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Not everyone DIYs. You can't compare DIY cost to dealership pricing, there is no relationship between the two. The dealership has costs it incurs to operate as a certified business and has a profit motive. A DIY'er never includes the same cost profile when he performs a DIY repair/maintenance. If you don't DIY, your only choice is a dealership or Indy and negotiate the price based on an educated position of what you consider a reasonable price.

An educated position is the key here. You can find sources on the internet that give good estimates for automotive services and use that information to negotiate a better price. Additionally, having bundeled work done, such as spark plugs and the cabin air filter for example, the air filter should be $0 zero labor charge as 99.5% of the labor is accomplished during the spark plug replacement; the only additional labor is removing the old filter from the housing and snapping in the new one, which takes 30 seconds. Likewise, I'd negotiate some labor savings in the front brake work / strut replacement, because some of the brake components are removed to get the strut out and complete disassembly of the brake makes the strut removal much easier for the technician as he doesn't have to work around the rotor and caliper mount.

Just my point of view.
Appreciate 2
Bobh5952.00
Wolf 3352340.50
      03-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #25
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

If you have to pay $9000 to repair a car that is worth $7000, because you cant or won't DIY - I think you probably own the wrong car.
Appreciate 1
b92539.50
      03-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #26
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Guys don't forget he is in Canada, and cost of parts is definitely more here than in US.

Needles to say, allowing dealership to do repairs or supply parts is still way overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #27
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not everyone DIYs. You can't compare DIY cost to dealership pricing, there is no relationship between the two. The dealership has costs it incurs to operate as a certified business and has a profit motive. A DIY'er never includes the same cost profile when he performs a DIY repair/maintenance. If you don't DIY, your only choice is a dealership or Indy and negotiate the price based on an educated position of what you consider a reasonable price.

An educated position is the key here. You can find sources on the internet that give good estimates for automotive services and use that information to negotiate a better price. Additionally, having bundeled work done, such as spark plugs and the cabin air filter for example, the air filter should be $0 zero labor charge as 99.5% of the labor is accomplished during the spark plug replacement; the only additional labor is removing the old filter from the housing and snapping in the new one, which takes 30 seconds. Likewise, I'd negotiate some labor savings in the front brake work / strut replacement, because some of the brake components are removed to get the strut out and complete disassembly of the brake makes the strut removal much easier for the technician as he doesn't have to work around the rotor and caliper mount.

Just my point of view.
Both can be right though. I was suggesting DIY because most of that is stupid easy but if he can't find an Indy. My issue is with their labor quotes to begin with. $350 to do a thrust arm is highway robbery. And the cabin air filter, labor on that is a joke.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Both can be right though. I was suggesting DIY because most of that is stupid easy but if he can't find an Indy. My issue is with their labor quotes to begin with. $350 to do a thrust arm is highway robbery. And the cabin air filter, labor on that is a joke.
Oh, I totally agree with you, but I am just saying some people just don't turn wrenches, so suggesting DIY will save the OP whole bunch of money is not the best advice. If the OP has no tools to work with, he'll need almost $1K in tools (a floor jack, stands, spring compressor, etc.) to do this type of work. And that work all takes uncommon tools like e-Torx and Torx sockets/wrenches, universals, extensions, and 3/8 and 1/2-drive torque wrenches.

Now if he wants to get into it, then we're all here to help
Appreciate 0