2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2013 N55 (535i) oil leak - where is it coming from?

02-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
pika1460
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

2013 N55 (535i) oil leak - where is it coming from?

hey guys, I'm having some oil dripping onto the catalytic converter and causing a burning smell for a few minutes. I suspect it's the valve cover, but i figure i'd ask and make sure. A small puddle forms at the rear left of the engine and drips right onto the cat. if i just spray some brake cleaner on there it takes about 2-3 days for the problem to reappear. oil reading does not go down and there are no other issues. the car is a 535i with 85k miles with regular service. i use 5w30 with a quart of dura lube added every oil change.

have you guys changed the entire valve cover assembly or just the gasket?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Valve cover gasket.

At the mileage you have I would recommend doing the complete valve cover for a lasting repair.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
pika1460
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

How many hours do you think it would take. I am technically inclined, but have never done a valve cover job. Do you recommend using oem or are the aftermarket ones ok as well? Any soecialty tools?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Also check out your oil filter housing gasket while you're at it as mine was leaking onto the belt which could have been a costly repair had i not repaired it
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

R&R of the valve cover / gasket on a F10 535i pays 5.5 hrs per KSD.

Factory gaskets and seals ONLY unless you want to first replacement for practice.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #6
humbertob
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW M235i

Valve cover gasket for sure ! If your valve cover unit is not craked you may only replace the valve cover gasket. Go BMW OEM on all gaskets, last time I used a Victor Reinz vcg on my son's 335i was a total mistake and have to redo all the job 3 times. Don't forget to torque all the valve cover bolts at 8.5Nm in a crazy cross pattern starting at the back of the valve cover (where the leak has been detected).
'15 F30 335i M-Sport | Son's
'10 Porsche Boxster
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Doing the gasket only at your mileage is ill advised, take this from someone that does this for a living...

The valve cover should be replaced at age for several reasons. One, it is plastic and it cracks. Sometimes its cracked and that is why its leaking, and other times retorqing it causes it to crack, or best yet it will be fine for a few weeks and then crack... requiring a redo with considerable added expense.

The valve cover has an integrated crankcase breather valve and the diaphragms do not last forever. I'm seeing more and more N55 valve covers coming in squealing with a failed valve.

Save yourself the practice and just do it the best way the first time. Replace the valve cover as a complete unit. The new cover comes with the gasket and valvetronic seal.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #8
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Doing the gasket only at your mileage is ill advised, take this from someone that does this for a living...

The valve cover should be replaced at age for several reasons. One, it is plastic and it cracks. Sometimes its cracked and that is why its leaking, and other times retorqing it causes it to crack, or best yet it will be fine for a few weeks and then crack... requiring a redo with considerable added expense.

The valve cover has an integrated crankcase breather valve and the diaphragms do not last forever. I'm seeing more and more N55 valve covers coming in squealing with a failed valve.

Save yourself the practice and just do it the best way the first time. Replace the valve cover as a complete unit. The new cover comes with the gasket and valvetronic seal.
I'm having to replace my valve cover gasket bought one for $500 OEM and my oil filter housing, thinking about doing the oil filter housing myself save myself the money but for valve cover gasket what advice would you give ? I'm having a mechanic do it for me he's been working on bmws for awhile I guess
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:08 PM   #9
SilverSlurf
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i sport

Literally just went through this, it actually got to the point where i was blowing smoke through my ac vents. I moved back from Houston to NYC, drove the car up with no issues. I ended up changing the valve cover, gasket, walnut blasting valves, all spark plugs and one fuel injector. Not sure if its the plugs or the walnut blasting but car runs smoother and seems more responsive. I paid 2000 for everything all oem parts. I contemplated going aftermarket on the cover but saw nothing but horror stories.

If you havent already prepare to do the water pump, tensioner and belts as those are maintenance items that will be coming up. I had oil leak from my oil filer housinng onto my belts so i went ahead and changed them with tensioners since it costed a bit cheaper all together.

Im at 96k now and owe about 5000 on the car so ill be keeping it for a while as a dd in hopes i can afford a gtr soon lol
Appreciate 0