2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Software update?

02-12-2019, 02:31 AM   #1
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: ALPINE WHITE F10 520D

Software update?

Hello guys, I have something which is not very clear to me and would appreciate if someone can give me a clue.

I have an F10 520d MY2012 and I am an owner for the past one month. I looked into the web about software update but could not clear my mind what exactly I should do.

I am aware that the main software update is something, which should be performed by the authorised dealer, however, what about the multimedia update? I am wondering what would be last software update available for my model and how am I supposed to install it?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Ok there is the software for the car which the dealer can do (I step) but they will charge for that. Unless your car is due an update to fix an issue they might waive the cost but otherwise it will cost. ( my g30 took 2 hours to update the I step level)
Any particular reason you want that upgraded?

The I drive soft is similar and Bmw would have to update that. Again any particular reason?

Sat about maps can be bought whether officially or going the unofficial route . That may be of use especially if there are new roads where you go.

Lastly you can update the software that caters for mobile phones. This used to be on the website ( it sure if still there) and was to address compatibility with newer mobile phones. You down to a usb drive and update yourself.

What are you expecting to get out of this as i suspect you will not notice any differences as the newer levels are not going to introduce new features.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: ALPINE WHITE F10 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Ok there is the software for the car which the dealer can do (I step) but they will charge for that. Unless your car is due an update to fix an issue they might waive the cost but otherwise it will cost. ( my g30 took 2 hours to update the I step level)
Any particular reason you want that upgraded?

The I drive soft is similar and Bmw would have to update that. Again any particular reason?

Sat about maps can be bought whether officially or going the unofficial route . That may be of use especially if there are new roads where you go.

Lastly you can update the software that caters for mobile phones. This used to be on the website ( it sure if still there) and was to address compatibility with newer mobile phones. You down to a usb drive and update yourself.

What are you expecting to get out of this as i suspect you will not notice any differences as the newer levels are not going to introduce new features.
Oh, okay, I understand now. Don't expect anything really. Pretty satisfied with what I currently have. Just wanted to know if I might miss on something if I have not upgraded my iDrive. But obviously that won't add any new features. Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Appreciate 0