2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Help On Idrive Controller

02-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
shammy786
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M sport Stage 1

Help On Idrive Controller

Recently i spilt hot chocolate on my IDRIVE controller, its the 10 pin one (only 6 wires) found on the 2011 F10s. The controller completely stopped working to the point no lights or buttons would do anything. i opened it up and cleaned it to no avail so i purchased a 4 pin one which i didn't realize at the time was 4 pin. now that i have the 4 pin lying about i would like to convert my 10 pin harness to work with a 4 pin controller. is it possible and could someone guide me to what each pin/wire does on the factory harness?
TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

I don't think it will function correctly.
Buy the right one and sell that one.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just for future references...you can probably find the PIN OUT (PIB) if you use the www.newtis.info website.

Since you didn't post any model info...I let you go to the site and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN. This will give you a page with a search box...try typing "A88 controller" in the search box and this should give you multiple links. Look for a link that has the (PIB) listed for the controller and this should give you the pin-out.

This should also give you links to BOTH the 4 & 10 pin controller...which will identify the wiring and what modules or busses the information is coming from. As mentioned above...it may or may not be doable due to how the car is optioned.

Or...if you find the wiring schematic (SSP) for the controller...look for it in the schematic illustration and click on the link for the controller (if it is highlighted text...it means it's a link) and that will take you to additional info about the controller.

Example pic from TIS website:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-23-2019 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Kirchgasser
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 M Sport

Very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just for future references...you can probably find the PIN OUT (PIB) if you use the www.newtis.info website.

Since you didn't post any model info...I let you go to the site and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN. This will give you a page with a search box...try typing "A88 controller" in the search box and this should give you multiple links. Look for a link that has the (PIB) listed for the controller and this should give you the pin-out.

This should also give you links to BOTH the 4 & 10 pin controller...which will identify the wiring and what modules or busses the information is coming from. As mentioned above...it may or may not be doable due to how the car is optioned.

Or...if you find the wiring schematic (SSP) for the controller...look for it in the schematic illustration and click on the link for the controller (if it is highlighted text...it means it's a link) and that will take you to additional info about the controller.

Example pic from TIS website:
Appreciate 0