2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 535i ARS + EDC

06-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i sapphire black stock;/

F10 535i ARS + EDC

cant find any info online but im wondering if anyone has both edc and ars on their f10 and could give me info on if its a must have option!
all my bmws have had it in the past but seems very difficult even to find dynamic drive alone on a 535i
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad20 View Post
cant find any info online but im wondering if anyone has both edc and ars on their f10 and could give me info on if its a must have option!
all my bmws have had it in the past but seems very difficult even to find dynamic drive alone on a 535i
Opinions will vary, but here’s mine...

My 2015 Msport 535i has EDC and ARS.
On the LCI F10, this combination is called DHP.

I had ARS on my old E60 Sport package and knew I had to have it on my new F10 too. I specifically waited for a F10 with DHP.

ARS + EDC (DHP) is NOT a sporty suspension on the F10. There is simply too much body roll, brake dive, and front end float/bounce. This applies even in the stiffest Sport + mode. Most mainstream family sedans (Accord, Maxima, Optima, Fusion, Avalon, etc.) are more sporting AND have more refined ride over bad surfaces too.

Before you buy DHP, make sure you drive it for an extended period.
Be sure to include rough roads. Pay attention to the body roll when you move the steering wheel. Notice the bobbing, floating, and bouncing of the front (and rear too, in comfort mode). Make sure you can live with it.

Base LCI suspension, is sportier. 704 Msport suspension is better still.

DHP was a waste of money, for me. I ultimately bought KWV3 coil overs to correct the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Take a look at this thread too..
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719458
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Opinions will vary, but here’s mine...

My 2015 Msport 535i has EDC and ARS.
On the LCI F10, this combination is called DHP.

I had ARS on my old E60 Sport package and knew I had to have it on my new F10 too. I specifically waited for a F10 with DHP.

ARS + EDC (DHP) is NOT a sporty suspension on the F10. There is simply too much body roll, brake dive, and front end float/bounce. This applies even in the stiffest Sport + mode. Most mainstream family sedans (Accord, Maxima, Optima, Fusion, Avalon, etc.) are more sporting AND have more refined ride over bad surfaces too.

Before you buy DHP, make sure you drive it for an extended period.
Be sure to include rough roads. Pay attention to the body roll when you move the steering wheel. Notice the bobbing, floating, and bouncing of the front (and rear too, in comfort mode). Make sure you can live with it.

Base LCI suspension, is sportier. 704 Msport suspension is better still.

DHP was a waste of money, for me. I ultimately bought KWV3 coil overs to correct the suspension.
Wow ok what about M-Sport and dhp and edc, because that’s basically what I’ve found
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #5
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Also I know I did not say M-Sport in my original post , but would it be better to have just m sport or better to have m sport and dhp and edc?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also I know I did not say M-Sport in my original post , but would it be better to have just m sport or better to have m sport and dhp and edc?
There are 3 Suspensions for the F10.
Base - Standard suspension.
ARS - Adds Dynamic Drive Stabilizer Bars to 2011 to 2013 models.
EDC - Adds electronic shocks for 2011 to 2013 models.
DHP - Adds EDC and ARS to 2014 to 2016 models.
704 M Sport - Adds 10mm lower ride height, stiffer springs and stiffer shocks to 2013 to 2016 models.

Note that ARS is not available with the sport suspension for any F10.
Note that ARS is not available as a stand alone option from 2014 to 2016.
Note that EDC is not available as a stand-alone option from 2014 to 2016.
Note that no 2011 to 2012 F10 is available with the M Sport Suspension. (Not even the cars with the M Sport Package).
Note that no xi model is available with the 704 MSport suspension (not even the xi’s with the Msport package).
Note that some early 2014 M Sport models have the BASE suspension NOT the
704 M Sport Suspension.

What year are you considering?
I recommend an LCI model (2014 to 2016).
LCI Base suspension is fine for a family sedan. It is smooth, stable, and capable.
LCI 704 MSport is a bit firmer and handles even better.

I don’t recommend the DHP to anyone even mildly interested in driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 03:14 AM   #7
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
There are 3 Suspensions for the F10.
Base - Standard suspension.
ARS - Adds Dynamic Drive Stabilizer Bars to 2011 to 2013 models.
EDC - Adds electronic shocks for 2011 to 2013 models.
DHP - Adds EDC and ARS to 2014 to 2016 models.
704 M Sport - Adds 10mm lower ride height, stiffer springs and stiffer shocks to 2013 to 2016 models.

Note that ARS is not available with the sport suspension for any F10.
Note that ARS is not available as a stand alone option from 2014 to 2016.
Note that EDC is not available as a stand-alone option from 2014 to 2016.
Note that no 2011 to 2012 F10 is available with the M Sport Suspension. (Not even the cars with the M Sport Package).
Note that no xi model is available with the 704 MSport suspension (not even the xi’s with the Msport package).
Note that some early 2014 M Sport models have the BASE suspension NOT the
704 M Sport Suspension.

What year are you considering?
I recommend an LCI model (2014 to 2016).
LCI Base suspension is fine for a family sedan. It is smooth, stable, and capable.
LCI 704 MSport is a bit firmer and handles even better.

I don’t recommend the DHP to anyone even mildly interested in driving dynamics.
I’m going to test drive a 2011 m sport 535i a 2011 m sport dhp+edc and a 2011 m sport 550i on Tuesday . Going to test suspensions out(thinking I’ll go with ars/edc one but well see) . I would go for newer but I dont think i have a real reason to jump to a 2014 and shell out the extra cash . I’ve heard the first model 2011 started out good for 535i . Also I’m 25 and insurance is high on as is already lol
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
BrandBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix M-sport

Garage List
2011 535ix Msport  [0.00]
1992 850i  [0.00]
I have a 2011 535xi M-sport which came with DHP. I use to have an e34 M5 with tons of mods including full suspension, an e39 540i 6spd sport. I love my DHP suspension. But that is me. I wasn't looking for M5 handling in a heavy car and specifically chose the F10 because it felt like the luxurious 7. For me, I have rough roads, potholes, and old cobblestone roads driving in Chicago and DC. I like to be able to tap the switch to comfort so I don't bend a rim in rough roads. That is my preference and my location, plus I am a little older. The sport mode does work seamlessly (for the most part) with the ARS and the multi-link front suspension does have good geometry so it might not feel or look like it is sporty, but the car can handle those long sweepers. I also ditched the run flats and have Pilot Sport AS3+ with a spare in the trunk. I learned a long time ago on the street, sometimes having good compliance keeps the tires on the road and even though the car will roll, it will stick to a turn. The individual corner control, the ARS, and the non-runflats all give good compliance in keeping the tires glued.

I have a friend who has a 2011 550xi with DHP and he also had 2 different F10 M5s. He also agreed the DHP doesn't have the M5 handling, but also said the DHP does 95% of what he needs/wants plus it saves his back on rough roads.

If you are looking for real sporty all the time, then yes, see if you can find a 704 suspension or find a regular suspension and add a sport suspension afterward. If you are in California where there are nice roads, then you might like a sportier suspension all the time. I did park next to an LCI M sport with base suspension and noticed that the DHP does sit lower.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 01:35 AM   #9
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandBMW View Post
I have a 2011 535xi M-sport which came with DHP. I use to have an e34 M5 with tons of mods including full suspension, an e39 540i 6spd sport. I love my DHP suspension. But that is me. I wasn't looking for M5 handling in a heavy car and specifically chose the F10 because it felt like the luxurious 7. For me, I have rough roads, potholes, and old cobblestone roads driving in Chicago and DC. I like to be able to tap the switch to comfort so I don't bend a rim in rough roads. That is my preference and my location, plus I am a little older. The sport mode does work seamlessly (for the most part) with the ARS and the multi-link front suspension does have good geometry so it might not feel or look like it is sporty, but the car can handle those long sweepers. I also ditched the run flats and have Pilot Sport AS3+ with a spare in the trunk. I learned a long time ago on the street, sometimes having good compliance keeps the tires on the road and even though the car will roll, it will stick to a turn. The individual corner control, the ARS, and the non-runflats all give good compliance in keeping the tires glued.

I have a friend who has a 2011 550xi with DHP and he also had 2 different F10 M5s. He also agreed the DHP doesn't have the M5 handling, but also said the DHP does 95% of what he needs/wants plus it saves his back on rough roads.

If you are looking for real sporty all the time, then yes, see if you can find a 704 suspension or find a regular suspension and add a sport suspension afterward. If you are in California where there are nice roads, then you might like a sportier suspension all the time. I did park next to an LCI M sport with base suspension and noticed that the DHP does sit lower.

Ok thanks . So would m sport be better/more sporty better handling by itself as opposed to m sport AND DHP combined ? Going to shop f10s tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Ok thanks . So would m sport be better/more sporty better handling by itself as opposed to m sport AND DHP combined ? Going to shop f10s tomorrow
Two different things. Passive M-sport has a tighter chassis all the time, a narrow working envelope, can be less suited to poor roads than the EDC/ARS equipped cars.

I prefer the active package. Driven my 535i over 800 miles this past week on all kinds of roads and surfaces, always does what I want with no negatives. Has included some spirited driving and had to cope with some poor surfaces as well. The wider working envelope of Adaptive Drive makes it suitable for all that I throw at it. Over 42,000 miles and no complaints at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #11
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Two different things. Passive M-sport has a tighter chassis all the time, a narrow working envelope, can be less suited to poor roads than the EDC/ARS equipped cars.

I prefer the active package. Driven my 535i over 800 miles this past week on all kinds of roads and surfaces, always does what I want with no negatives. Has included some spirited driving and had to cope with some poor surfaces as well. The wider working envelope of Adaptive Drive makes it suitable for all that I throw at it. Over 42,000 miles and no complaints at all.
Just bought a 2011 535i m sport DHP/EDC 79k Miles . Soft close doors side and too view cameras . Multi contour seats . Logic 7, comfort access, sunshades, sport auto , I’m stoked!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #12
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Quote:
You can't combine "M Sport" (suspension, the 704 sport suspension) and DHP.

If you're looking at 2011's, I think that M Sport (or Sport package) included EDC and ARS (DHP) but check to be sure. "Sportiest" is the 704 M Sport Suspension, but that only came on 2013 and later models, and it's RWD only (xDrive M Sports have the base suspension, unless they were optioned with DHP too). In 2013 and later models, if an M-Sport had DHP, it replaced the 704 suspension, it was not in addition to it.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #13
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

I have not driven one with the 704 suspension option, but I own one with DHP. And I was initially not satisfied by it. However, that has to do with the programming. If you have a car with DHP, then the Dinan Shockware is a must and is a relatively cheap mod. I also installed the Dinan springs and bump stops and now I can tell you the car feels like on rails. Body roll is minimized and turn ins are much more stable. It’s not a harsh ride either. You could simply start with the Dinan shockwave on the standard DHP suspension and if that doesn’t satisfy you, add the springs. You will feel a complete difference and enjoy the added stability and steering wheel stiffness!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #14
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

great info
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #15
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
I have not driven one with the 704 suspension option, but I own one with DHP. And I was initially not satisfied by it. However, that has to do with the programming. If you have a car with DHP, then the Dinan Shockware is a must and is a relatively cheap mod. I also installed the Dinan springs and bump stops and now I can tell you the car feels like on rails. Body roll is minimized and turn ins are much more stable. It’s not a harsh ride either. You could simply start with the Dinan shockwave on the standard DHP suspension and if that doesn’t satisfy you, add the springs. You will feel a complete difference and enjoy the added stability and steering wheel stiffness!
i am definitely going to do that . there are so many mods and tunes to do to the f10 my head is spinning already. flash tune from mission performance is first on my list!!!!
Appreciate 0