2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW N63 Engine Problems
View Poll Results: Should BMW compensate all owners for
Hoses 12 52.17%
Valve Seals 22 95.65%
Gasket 7 30.43%
Catalytic Converter 6 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

08-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
LoveTheGameLikeMitch
Rep
Drives: F10 5 Series

BMW N63 Engine Problems

I have a 2012 with 102k mi. As most of you expect, I have 99 problems. After reading these forums and writeups, maybe I'm missing something, but I feel like some major questions are not being addressed.

Have you guys looked at the price depreciation diminished value of our cars? According to the latest class-action and the pay matrix provided for the cost of a replacement engine, I would be expected to pay 75% of the cost. What is that like $4,000? That is more than the dollar amount I would receive if I sold it privately (with a bad engine). Does it make sense to pay more than the value worth of your car?

Why is this engine simply not RECALLED? If our cars have a defective engine that cost millions and years of litigation, why do we have to pay to replace it? Furthermore, so many parts surrounding the engine itself were recalled and everything hints that BMW attempted to "cover it up" with the CCP, so how did we end up with a "benefit" involving actually paying out of pocket to replace it?

Now that the most recent class action related to the overconsumption of oil causes an impact to the battery. Are we blind to the fact that it also affected other parts (more costly) under the hood as well? Hoses, Seals, Gasket, Catalytic Converter, etc etc. What about the impact to all of these? Are we expected to pay normal price for those repairs?

I am tired of so many of these posts simply talking about, "took my car in to the dealer and they replaced my motor and my bill was $4,000, I am done dumping more money into this car and I am done with BMW" or..... "the settlement is awful, that's it? free oil changes and battery replacement?"

Let's focus more on OK what services do we strongly feel that N63 BMW owners ACTUALLY DESERVE or need to address.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #2
robmarley
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 550i xdrive

couldn't agree more. my car depreciated at such an astounding rate that now I'm essentially stuck with it and I have a new problem weekly. The engine design was horrible. BMW cut way too many corners and the ccp service was a joke. I'm still finding loose bolts throughout my engine bay. the subframe was never even torqued down. the biggest issue I'm having is with fueling. I've gone through 18 fuel injectors. I have definitely had my fill with this POS.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmarley View Post
couldn't agree more. my car depreciated at such an astounding rate that now I'm essentially stuck with it and I have a new problem weekly. The engine design was horrible. BMW cut way too many corners and the ccp service was a joke. I'm still finding loose bolts throughout my engine bay. the subframe was never even torqued down. the biggest issue I'm having is with fueling. I've gone through 18 fuel injectors. I have definitely had my fill with this POS.
What year and model are you referring?
      08-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Most of the issues I have read about engines blowing up its mostly due oil filters failure
People saving $2 on aftermarket filters and when filter fail they complain how BMW design bad engine.
Not saying N63 is top BMW engine I do believe if you keep up with regular maintenance
its good engine.
      08-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Ive heard about oil filter failures and timing chain failures as well
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
robmarley
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 550i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
What year and model are you referring?
2011 550i xdrive. I maintain it myself. Always keeping up with preventative maintenance. Change oil every 4k miles with a Mann filter, etc. The problem is the high temps of the engine drying out all the gaskets and O-rings, leading to leaks and oil consumption. Also stretching of timing chain, etc. BMW should have just made the n63 as a performance engine and not tried to squeeze every bit of fuel efficiency out of it that they could. Can't have it all.

Last edited by robmarley; 08-03-2018 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-05-2018, 02:09 AM   #7
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I’m pretty sure all of this was what the class action was trying to accomplish. For example one could argue: Excessive oil consumption due to many previously identified faulty parts (CCP related CCV) causing oil starvation and inadequate lubrication leading to premature engine failure. But that’s easier said than to actually prove in court. It’s much more easier for owners to complain about issues and attempt to gather information on a forum with no scientific and complete data. BMW has access to all this info...how many N63’s were sold, what platform, how many were effected by the CCP issues, how many engines replaced, etc. There’s no law that determines what a life expectancy of a vehicle is, for some 100k could be the life of the car. There’s too many variables to try and fight this without risk of going into an endless money pit in legal fees against a corporation that is more equipped with a legal team, engineers, and hard data.

I too had my engine replaced and forked out money (around 4K). Was I upset? Not really. I got 102,000 out of a car with a performance engine, I knew purchasing this car that a V8, let alone a BMW, was going to come with hefty maintenance and cost. It’s the nature of the beast. Oil changes every 5K and replace leaking coolant and oil leaks is all one can really do. Valve seals will fail, timing chain may stretch. It’s either dump the car and take your loss now and move on or enjoy the car until something actually breaks. Many people on here spend too much time reading issues and worrying about POTENTIAL issues than enjoying the car. In addition, these posts you speak of are only going to increase due to the market depreciation of these vehicles and many people thinking they can afford these cars when they really can’t. Purchasing a car is one thing, having the money to maintain it is another...

Last edited by BlackWidow; 08-05-2018 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #8
bmwx5dude
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5

BMW issues official N63 Engine ** RECALL **

I learned yesterday that on January 31 2019, BMW has either issued a recall for N63 engine or extended the warranty to remediate the issue. Checked with my BMW dealership, and yes, my 2013 X5 v8 is subject to the recall. The service advisor mentioned BMW wants them to perform a number of tests first, and if the problem is with the oil consumption / valves / etc they will either rebuild or replace the engine.

I'm currently having to add a quart of oil every 2-3 weeks. The car can't be accelerated sharply and looses power going, likely due to fouled plugs.

Very good news indeed.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
ChesterCopperpot1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5dude View Post
I learned yesterday that on January 31 2019, BMW has either issued a recall for N63 engine or extended the warranty to remediate the issue. Checked with my BMW dealership, and yes, my 2013 X5 v8 is subject to the recall. The service advisor mentioned BMW wants them to perform a number of tests first, and if the problem is with the oil consumption / valves / etc they will either rebuild or replace the engine.

I'm currently having to add a quart of oil every 2-3 weeks. The car can't be accelerated sharply and looses power going, likely due to fouled plugs.

Very good news indeed.
Where did you see this? I just bought a 2011 550i M Sport with 80k. I quickly learned after buying this what a terrible engine this is. I tried returning the car to the dealership 2 weeks after buying, and the deanship all but laughed at me. This is the first BMW I have ever owned, and I do believe it will be the last. I thought I did enough research on these cars before buying. Turns out I was flat wrong. I went from a 2006 Nissan Altima with 230k miles with no issues to a car with 150k fewer miles and literally thousands of dollars in repairs. I have checked the open recalls on my car, and the only one open is the Electric Auxiliary Water Pump For Turbocharger.

If BMW issued a recall on the N63 engine, I def need to know.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:37 AM   #10
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot1 View Post
Where did you see this? I just bought a 2011 550i M Sport with 80k. I quickly learned after buying this what a terrible engine this is. I tried returning the car to the dealership 2 weeks after buying, and the deanship all but laughed at me. This is the first BMW I have ever owned, and I do believe it will be the last. I thought I did enough research on these cars before buying. Turns out I was flat wrong. I went from a 2006 Nissan Altima with 230k miles with no issues to a car with 150k fewer miles and literally thousands of dollars in repairs. I have checked the open recalls on my car, and the only one open is the Electric Auxiliary Water Pump For Turbocharger.

If BMW issued a recall on the N63 engine, I def need to know.

Thanks.
It’s not a recall by any means. There was a lawsuit and the settlement BMW agreed to was to cover a portion of repairs, that are concluded by the mentioned dealership tests. And they will only replace the engine and cover a low percentage of the cost based on your vehicles mileage. If it fails the oil consumption tests due to valve seals, they’ll replace just the valve seals at low cost. Google Bang N63 Settlement for more info

Last edited by BlackWidow; 02-15-2019 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
ChesterCopperpot1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
It’s not a recall by any means. There was a lawsuit and the settlement BMW agreed to was to cover a portion of repairs, that are concluded by the mentioned dealership tests. And they will only replace the engine and cover a low percentage of the cost based on your vehicles mileage. If it fails the oil consumption tests due to valve seals, they’ll replace just the valve seals at low cost. Google Bang N63 Settlement for more info
Yeah, I have been in contact with BMW NA. I did not know anything about this when I bought the car -- I would not have bought it had I known. I am really up sh*ts creek.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #12
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

You can find more information here.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=817273

Keep fingers crossed on your buying. Some owners luckily have no problem with this engine.

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #13
bridgwala
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550I

N 63 nightmare

Car stopped and engine failed at 90K when I was traveling.Car got stuck in New Mexico. The Bang settlement had just taken place. First they wanted 13 K and then 8 K and then 6 to 7 K. Then they crammed that they did not have any engine. Finally car got a "new engine". A month later it was guzzling oil. There was a failure of vacuum which I firmly believe was done while they were replacing engine "Found vacuum line between Wastegate and pressure converter for bank 2 has rubbed through the drive belt. Now how can this happen on its own. So to make this oil consuming new engine car to get functional they want another 1200 dollars! Oh! for them to diagnose the oil problem I have to bring the car in after the car has a red light! What if the engine burns? They would not even replace this defective engine for months till I called BMW USA and complained. I was assured that I would get reimbursement for several months that car was sitting in the lot. So far Sandia BMW has failed to deliver a check. These people don't really care for their customer. I had two BMW before and I am not sure how to handle this. Hopefully they can fix the car and then I can sell for whatever I can get. I am trying to look for a lawyer. Bang settlement is no help and I am considering writing to the federal judge who approved this settlement. There is no help for BMW customers who get burnt. My friend's lexus had 200K miles and something leaked. They told him that the part was defective and did ll the work needed for free. I am really sad and defeated by the fraud the pulled. My position is this: BMW fraudulently replaced an engine that had same problems and claimed that it was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #14
Nsb335i
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking

So how much did you pay for the first engine job?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #15
Profssor
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

What a nightmare. My engine threw a rod at 84k and BMW replaced the entire engine and every part that received engine oil, and gave me a loaner for six months, which cost them $13k or so.

I felt that BMW went well above and beyond what I could have expected.... and the entire failure did not cost me a single penny.

I am really sorry bridgwala.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgwala View Post
Car stopped and engine failed at 90K when I was traveling.Car got stuck in New Mexico. The Bang settlement had just taken place. First they wanted 13 K and then 8 K and then 6 to 7 K. Then they crammed that they did not have any engine. Finally car got a "new engine". A month later it was guzzling oil. There was a failure of vacuum which I firmly believe was done while they were replacing engine "Found vacuum line between Wastegate and pressure converter for bank 2 has rubbed through the drive belt. Now how can this happen on its own. So to make this oil consuming new engine car to get functional they want another 1200 dollars! Oh! for them to diagnose the oil problem I have to bring the car in after the car has a red light! What if the engine burns? They would not even replace this defective engine for months till I called BMW USA and complained. I was assured that I would get reimbursement for several months that car was sitting in the lot. So far Sandia BMW has failed to deliver a check. These people don't really care for their customer. I had two BMW before and I am not sure how to handle this. Hopefully they can fix the car and then I can sell for whatever I can get. I am trying to look for a lawyer. Bang settlement is no help and I am considering writing to the federal judge who approved this settlement. There is no help for BMW customers who get burnt. My friend's lexus had 200K miles and something leaked. They told him that the part was defective and did ll the work needed for free. I am really sad and defeated by the fraud the pulled. My position is this: BMW fraudulently replaced an engine that had same problems and claimed that it was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 01:47 AM   #16
Nsb335i
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profssor View Post
What a nightmare. My engine threw a rod at 84k and BMW replaced the entire engine and every part that received engine oil, and gave me a loaner for six months, which cost them $13k or so.

I felt that BMW went well above and beyond what I could have expected.... and the entire failure did not cost me a single penny.

I am really sorry bridgwala.

Joe

Why did Bmw cover the repair for you! Did you have warranty or something on it!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 07:05 AM   #17
Profssor
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

When I bought the car in October of last year, I paid $400-ish for a CPO that was going to be good until January; effectively, I was getting 3 months of coverage. I figured that the money would be good insurance just in case something was wrong with the car. I absolutely shudder when I think that I almost did not get the CPO coverage; I would have ended up with a car that threw a rod through the side of the block after driving it less than 1/2 mile.

That $400 was the best money I have spent in a very long time. If I count the rental car, I imagine the total cost to BMW was in the neighborhood of $22k given that they replaced everything in the car that shared oil with the engine.

BMW was good to me; perhaps they were just fulfilling their CPO obligations, but they did not give me any problems at all. Smiled, fixed the car, and paid a very large bill. I enjoyed a new 2019 X3 for around six months... it was a VERY nice experience.

Assuming I ever buy another BMW, I will NEVER purchase a new or used BMW without as much warranty insurance on it as I can afford.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsb335i View Post
Why did Bmw cover the repair for you! Did you have warranty or something on it!
Appreciate 1
johnhva56.50