2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Valve stem seals or turbo seals?

02-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
F10n63
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i xdrive

Valve stem seals or turbo seals?

My 2013 550 (60k miles) is at the dealer for smoke and oil consumption. I assumed it's the valve stem seals and if so gets replaced under the recall. But after a little research it seems like turbo seal failure is likely too. I saw somebody say in one post that the warranty on turbos was extended to 70k miles. Never heard anything else saying that though. Does anyone if that's true? Are turbos possibly included in the n63 engine recall/class action suite?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 550I, 07 335I,

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10n63 View Post
My 2013 550 (60k miles) is at the dealer for smoke and oil consumption. I assumed it's the valve stem seals and if so gets replaced under the recall. But after a little research it seems like turbo seal failure is likely too. I saw somebody say in one post that the warranty on turbos was extended to 70k miles. Never heard anything else saying that though. Does anyone if that's true? Are turbos possibly included in the n63 engine recall/class action suite?
A good dealership will fix "ALL" identified repairs associated with oil leakage or consumption. But clearly, based on the way the steps are outlined and phrased in the class action suit, it is at the discretion of the dealership and what corporate will approve that dictates the scope and depth of those repairs. I was very fortunate to have used a dealership that was conscientious of their obligations and going in with the right/informed attitude helped. In my case the car had meticulous maintenance records. So they saw fit to replace valve guides, both turbos, all of the associated hard & rubber lines, gaskets and fittings related to the oil system.
Appreciate 1
F10n632.00
      02-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahone View Post
Quote:
A good dealership will fix "ALL" identified repairs associated with oil leakage or consumption. But clearly, based on the way the steps are outlined and phrased in the class action suit, it is at the discretion of the dealership and what corporate will approve that dictates the scope and depth of those repairs. I was very fortunate to have used a dealership that was conscientious of their obligations and going in with the right/informed attitude helped. In my case the car had meticulous maintenance records. So they saw fit to replace valve guides, both turbos, all of the associated hard & rubber lines, gaskets and fittings related to the oil system.
I actually had a lot of trouble finding a dealership in the Boston/southern New Hampshire area that recognized the recall. Some of them treated me like I was trying to pull a fast one. BMW of North America treated it like they were a politician trying to avoid a question. I did get lucky and found one that claims to be knowledgeable about it and have been doing related repairs under the recall.
So technically they should replace anything that's causing oil consumption?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If you read the section in the class action suit on the steps that should be taken it reads that they can have If I recall correctly three attempts to solve the problem(s) that cause consumption before electing to exchange an engine or they can choose to swap an engine at their discretion at anytime.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #5
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
If you read the section in the class action suit on the steps that should be taken it reads that they can have If I recall correctly three attempts to solve the problem(s) that cause consumption before electing to exchange an engine or they can choose to swap an engine at their discretion at anytime.
But isn't the customer expected to pay for a percentage of a new engine depending on milage.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #6
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
But isn't the customer expected to pay for a percentage of a new engine depending on milage.
Yes that is correct. Based on the mileage of the vehicle and prior repairs, the customer pays a tiered percentage of the repair costs for a new engine. What determines whether a vehicle is best suited for repairs versus a swap? I would imagine it is based on cost effectiveness and the level of damaged caused by the components related to oil consumption.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

They do a timing chain test and a compression/leak down test to see what the outcome will be.

If those tests pass the repair process will get started and it wont cost you anything. If one of those tests fail a new engine will be ordered and the pay by percentage bracket based on mileage kicks in.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
They do a timing chain test and a compression/leak down test to see what the outcome will be.

If those tests pass the repair process will get started and it wont cost you anything. If one of those tests fail a new engine will be ordered and the pay by percentage bracket based on mileage kicks in.
They said it's not leaking and gave it back to me to drive for 750 to 1000 miles. Then they're going to take it back and check the oil level to see if it's consuming oil. They said that the white smoke I get is normal and caused by moisture and that it would be blue if there was a problem. The thing is that at about 3000 to 4000 miles into my oil change the minimal oil level warning comes on. I hope 750 miles is enough to show them.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They said it's not leaking and gave it back to me to drive for 750 to 1000 miles. Then they're going to take it back and check the oil level to see if it's consuming oil. They said that the white smoke I get is normal and caused by moisture and that it would be blue if there was a problem. The thing is that at about 3000 to 4000 miles into my oil change the minimal oil level warning comes on. I hope 750 miles is enough to show them.
If you have a low oil light that comes on 3-4 thousand miles I doubt you have a issue.

My oil light would come on every 150-200 miles and the car would blow smokescreen style blue/black smoke. They didn't even need to do any other tests once I pulled into the service bay they already knew.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #10
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The car shouldn't burn a quart within 4k that is signs of early valve guide wear. I will change my oil every 4k-5k from now on because these cars run hot. Why wait the prescribed 10k? Thats insane to me to wait that long.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
The car shouldn't burn a quart within 4k that is signs of early valve guide wear. I will change my oil every 4k-5k from now on because these cars run hot. Why wait the prescribed 10k? Thats insane to me to wait that long.
750 to 1000 miles
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

I think it's normal for these cars to burn a quart at 4-5k miles. I know for more high performance cars it's absolutely normal especially turbocharged cars.

My Current M5 burns a quart every 2500-3500 miles. My old M5 burned a quart every 900 miles. My old C63 burned a quart every 1500 miles. My old M3 burned a quart every 1200-1500. Even my N54 powered 335i burned a quart by 3500 miles.

When it's burning every couple hundred and seeing blue smoke after idle time that is classic valve stem.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #13
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
I think it's normal for these cars to burn a quart at 4-5k miles. I know for more high performance cars it's absolutely normal especially turbocharged cars.

My Current M5 burns a quart every 2500-3500 miles. My old M5 burned a quart every 900 miles. My old C63 burned a quart every 1500 miles. My old M3 burned a quart every 1200-1500. Even my N54 powered 335i burned a quart by 3500 miles.

When it's burning every couple hundred and seeing blue smoke after idle time that is classic valve stem.
This is my first bmw and first German car. It almost seems like there's an acceptable level of broken with these things. What are the guidelines of the class action as far as how much consumption is considered a problem? Also I really don't think the amount of smoke this this car makes is normal. It's a lot. Dealer says it's got a long exhaust and moisture builds up.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #14
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is my first bmw and first German car. It almost seems like there's an acceptable level of broken with these things. What are the guidelines of the class action as far as how much consumption is considered a problem? Also I really don't think the amount of smoke this this car makes is normal. It's a lot. Dealer says it's got a long exhaust and moisture builds up.
BMW is all over the place. On the M cars I was told burning a quart within 800 miles is normal. On these N63 cars I was told burning two quarts within 800 miles is normally (meaning one every 400)

These cars make condensation smoke like crazy. My M5 smokes like crazy it's all condensation. With my N63 car the smoke looked similar but it was thick and blue and stunk. The condensation smoke is water. You can put your hand over the exhaust tip see if it gets wet and moist it's all condensation.

This is normal

As far as the action guidelines. It all depends on your SA and the tech advocating your case. I've seen people get denied that should have been approved, people accepted that should have been denied...etc.

Tipping the SA (even $50) goes a long way in getting the results you want. I learned that years ago with from the n54 days hahaha
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #15
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BMW is all over the place. On the M cars I was told burning a quart within 800 miles is normal. On these N63 cars I was told burning two quarts within 800 miles is normally (meaning one every 400)

These cars make condensation smoke like crazy. My M5 smokes like crazy it's all condensation. With my N63 car the smoke looked similar but it was thick and blue and stunk. The condensation smoke is water. You can put your hand over the exhaust tip see if it gets wet and moist it's all condensation.

This is normal

As far as the action guidelines. It all depends on your SA and the tech advocating your case. I've seen people get denied that should have been approved, people accepted that should have been denied...etc.

Tipping the SA (even $50) goes a long way in getting the results you want. I learned that years ago with from the n54 days hahaha
Well isn't that the whole thing. Bmw said it was normal and the class action was filed in result.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #16
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

It's not just the Germans. Car & Driver recently wrapped up their long term test of a Mustang V8 and that thing burned a quart every 700 miles or so, which Ford said was normal. I think some of these high performance V8s are just expected to consume oil. 1 quart every 3k-4k on an N63 probably puts you at the lower end of the range of oil consumption in these engines. The owners manual recommends checking oil level every time you refuel :-0
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #17
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
It's not just the Germans. Car & Driver recently wrapped up their long term test of a Mustang V8 and that thing burned a quart every 700 miles or so, which Ford said was normal. I think some of these high performance V8s are just expected to consume oil. 1 quart every 3k-4k on an N63 probably puts you at the lower end of the range of oil consumption in these engines. The owners manual recommends checking oil level every time you refuel :-0
I think it burns more than one quart ever 3k to 4K. That's when it reaches "minimal oil level". When I add one quart it doesn't show as completely full. There's no dipstick so I have to go by what's shown on the screen. From what I can tell it looks like it needs one more quart to be completely full.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #18
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think it burns more than one quart ever 3k to 4K. That's when it reaches "minimal oil level". When I add one quart it doesn't show as completely full. There's no dipstick so I have to go by what's shown on the screen. From what I can tell it looks like it needs one more quart to be completely full.
I think you're correct - when it hits minimum, two quarts will take it up to just below the max line.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #19
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think you're correct - when it hits minimum, two quarts will take it up to just below the max line.
So I think it's safe to say it burns 2 quarts every 3k to 4K. Also, I think it's important to remember that whatever bmw said is normal for oil consumption on this engine before October 2018 is kind of irrelevant. The whole point of the class action suite was that bmw was saying all the oil consumption was normal. Normal meaning that all or most of them do it. In October it was determined(by the courts or whoever) that all or most where defective or contained a design flaw.
I'm just hoping that the 750 to a 1000 miles that I have to put on the car before it goes back for the oil consumption test is enough to actually show the consumption.
It sucks that I have deal with this at 60k miles on the most expensive and supposedly high quality car I've ever owned. And after looking into it, it seems like bmw has a habit of calling serious problems normal on multiple cars.
The whole reason I got this car was that I was impressed by power gains from tuning. Now I'm afraid to tune because I'm worried that if something goes wrong they going detect the tuning to point the finger at the tuning and not the actual issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #20
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I understand the concern. I don't think the oil consumption necessarily signifies the occurrence of one of the major issues covered in the lawsuit, but it's possible. 1,000 miles should be enough to detect excessive oil consumption, but the question will be what the threshold for "excessive" is. I don't recall what cutoff they're using, but I suspect your consumption is not sufficiently severe to be in that range.

Either way, appreciate you sharing and look forward to any updates you're willing to provide on the outcome. Hopefully all is well and you can just get back to enjoying the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #21
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
I understand the concern. I don't think the oil consumption necessarily signifies the occurrence of one of the major issues covered in the lawsuit, but it's possible. 1,000 miles should be enough to detect excessive oil consumption, but the question will be what the threshold for "excessive" is. I don't recall what cutoff they're using, but I suspect your consumption is not sufficiently severe to be in that range.

Either way, appreciate you sharing and look forward to any updates you're willing to provide on the outcome. Hopefully all is well and you can just get back to enjoying the car.
Im tempted to drive in a more spirited manner to maybe speed up the consumption and get the point across. With my luck though....who knows what I'd break by doing that haha.
Anyways, thank you for your input. I will definitely update as I go though the process.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 12:50 AM   #22
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

Just an update I would be careful when taking these cars in with high mileage. I'm seeing more stories of dealers saying car needs fuel pump, coils, plugs, etc while doing recall work after putting the engine back together.

I paid them to replace all my coolant hoses, water pump, thermostat, lower temp sensor, etc. My car was road tested hard apparently by 5 people. I got my car and smelled coolant burning they said it's residual, low coolant light came on that night. They tell me they'll cover it....take it in. I thought it's the sensor as I'd top it off I'd still see the light. Today I get a bill for almost $1k. They say the coolant expansion tank leaking and it's aftermarket. How come this wasn't caught by the 5 people that drove it? And I already knew that I thought they'd take care of it or at the least just charge part cost since it should have been caught.

😒
Appreciate 0