2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Question for those who get oil changed every 5-6K Miles

02-21-2019, 10:41 PM   #1
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Question for those who get oil changed every 5-6K Miles

I have seen many members here mention that they get their oil changed at around half the recommended interval. So my question is, does the car now reflect a new mileage for the next oil change or does that not change? For vehicles that are still under BMW maintenance plan will this affect the free oil change that would have been due per idrive info?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
I have seen many members here mention that they get their oil changed at around half the recommended interval. So my question is, does the car now reflect a new mileage for the next oil change or does that not change? For vehicles that are still under BMW maintenance plan will this affect the free oil change that would have been due per idrive info?

Thanks
The interval must be reset manually or the dealer resets it via their software.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:48 AM   #3
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post

Thanks
As said in the thread already - you do need to reset it manually.

For me - I kept all the receipts and "proof" that I had changed the oil, but did not reset CBS.

The important thing for the long term owner is that the oil is changed (and a proper oil is used) even if it's kept a secret.

The important things for warranty protection is that you've followed the factory maintenance schedule with the proper oil.

So -
  • my vehicle got more frequent oil changes
  • anyone looking at the CBS doesn't know that anyone other than the dealer ever touched the car
  • I still had proof of doing double the required oil changes with LL-01 oil if I ever got into a warranty fight where changing it more often worked in my favour
  • I still got free oil changes from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Great! Thanks for the info. Coming up on my first 5K of ownership (CPO) so will have to keep an eye out for a good indy in MD.

Anyone has any recommendations for a good Authorized BMW Dealer or Indy around here?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 03:15 AM   #5
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

If you're still on warranty/maintenance, the dealer will only change when the CBD shows it's due, right? While my car was under warranty, I'd have the dealer do intermediate changes at my cost, but NOT reset the CBD, so that they pay for the next one on schedule.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0