2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535 humming noise

10-12-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
Brunner22
Rep
Drives: BMW 535XI

just yesterday i started to notice a buzzing sound coming from the top left side of the engine where it looks like there's some wires attaching to it in the area i hear the noise. not the top left hand side where the fuses are but literally on the left side of the engine.. it's a constant buzzing sound as soon as i start driving.. or i can be idling and rev the engine and it will start buzzing and if i rev it again it will stop ect.

i noticed when the buzzing is happening the radiator fan isn't moving, but as soon as the buzzing stops the fan is spinning again..

it's just the noise isn't near the radiator, it's coming from the top left hand side of the engine like i mentioned

any ideas?

is this where the fan relay is or something? could it be going bad?

the fan has been acting weird lately also running on very high speeds and stuff and then slowing down. car isn't over heating tho
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

You haven't provided a model year or any other information that might be helpful.

Based on your description, I'm going to guess that it's an earlier 535 (2011-2013), and it probably has the PWG wastegate. This is pneumatic control of the wastegate. There is a vacuum solenoid which they call a "pressure convertor" in which the diaphragm fails and causes buzzing like this. They're also called "boost solenoids" and any number of things.

Google "BMW N55" plus any of those terms and you'll find videos showing the noise. The part is <$100. The DIY is easy, but annoying due to lack of space to work.

I've gone through three of these. They seem to fail every spring when the weather warms up. Perhaps condensation builds and freezes in the unit in my winters causing damage. The noise comes and goes depending on wastegate actuation and fluctuations in the vacuum system (i.e. from using the brakes).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
Brunner22
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
You haven't provided a model year or any other information that might be helpful.

Based on your description, I'm going to guess that it's an earlier 535 (2011-2013), and it probably has the PWG wastegate. This is pneumatic control of the wastegate. There is a vacuum solenoid which they call a "pressure convertor" in which the diaphragm fails and causes buzzing like this. They're also called "boost solenoids" and any number of things.

Google "BMW N55" plus any of those terms and you'll find videos showing the noise. The part is <$100. The DIY is easy, but annoying due to lack of space to work.

I've gone through three of these. They seem to fail every spring when the weather warms up. Perhaps condensation builds and freezes in the unit in my winters causing damage. The noise comes and goes depending on wastegate actuation and fluctuations in the vacuum system (i.e. from using the brakes).
i have a 2013 535 xdrive

yeah it's weird cause this morning driving to work it didn't do it at all..

if i rev it it will start and i can rev it again and it will stop.. i'm gona so some research on it

is it ok to drive like that til i get it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
Brunner22
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunner22 View Post
Quote:

i have a 2013 535 xdrive

if i rev it it will start and i can rev it again and it will stop.. i'm gona so some research on it

i circled the area it's coming from then took a close of whats actually buzzing.. any ideas what it is?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #5
Brunner22
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i have a 2013 535 xdrive

i circled the area it's coming from then took a close of whats actually buzzing.. any ideas what it is?
here's a better pic of what it is
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #6
Brunner22
Rep

Quote:

your right bro, just did some research and it's the pressure converter.

is this ok to drive with like this for a few days?

also this don't have anything to do with the fan acting weird, i'm guessing that must be a different issue also
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Fine to drive for a few days...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #8
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Fan acting weird could be a bad water pump. You will need to scan it to see if there are any codes for it. It will not throw a check engine light but will store a code for bmw diagnostic tools to see.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #9
Brunner22
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
Fan acting weird could be a bad water pump. You will need to scan it to see if there are any codes for it. It will not throw a check engine light but will store a code for bmw diagnostic tools to see.
yeah i actually just scanned it and i have no codes at all. i'm confused

i did the test on the water pump and it's pumping fine. maybe it's just on its way to going bad idk
Appreciate 0