2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications MHD corrupted my ECU

07-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #23
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
I really hope the dealer can get it to come back to life!
I know that getting it to start again is of utmost importance, but be careful what you wish for from the dealer. I'm not sure if it applies to all HARDWARE revisions of the ECUs, but BMW has changed their code and cryptography and after a certain revision you can no longer crack ECUs with flash tunes.

The TL;DR is that you might get it back from the dealer running, and now be unable to install MHD, BM3, xHP or any flash-based tunes of any kind without doing a bench flash (remove the ECU and send it to be cracked).
Good advice. I'm going to have the ROM analyzed by D Shoup. The ECU lid is easily removed on mine since it has previously had its pins tapped.

Trying to reach a 100 subscribers appreciate the support: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:32 PM   #24
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
Watch out for this one fellows. Recently I've noticed that MHD updates have been sketchy and untested. My monitors weren't working on every update and just prior to that the app was crashing.

Here's what happened.

I was having trouble getting the DME to read my 3.5 tmap. The guys from BMS mentioned that sometimes you need to flash to stock and then flash a custom or a OTS map that reads out a 3.5 tmap.

I thought easy enough I'll just have MHD flash to stock and then I'll flash a custom map over that.

When I flashed to to stock I was getting 160021 crankshaft sensor: can't read position synchronization

I found this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...54820-9999.pdf

It seems either the ecu went to sleep or worse. The car almost starts but then dies. Tried ISTA but I don't t have the right ENET cable so it's going to the dealer and I'll have them run it. Also tried to to flash my original stock bin file but same problem. Looks like I have to follow the instructions on that SIB.

MHD has been super buggy lately. Be careful with that app.
Can you flash back to stage 1,2? anything?
Tried that and no luck same error. I will be speaking with MHD when I get back in town from this 4th break.

Trying to reach a 100 subscribers appreciate the support: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #25
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
MHD email sent. Let's see what they say.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #26
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
This from MHD. It may not be caused by MHD. Let's see what the dealer states.

"Hi,

That SIB doesnot relate to your car, its for F90 and G series, whereas your car is F10

if you got screen saying flashing complete then its not flashing problem nor DME went to the sleep,

Must be other mechanical or electrical problem, unfortunately looks like coincidence.

You should be able to use ISTA with k+dcan cable for torubleshooting"

My TO bearing is done but not sure if that can cause a crankshaft sensor to go bad.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #27
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Your throwout breading? So they had to drop your transmission?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #28
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
Yeah my throw out bearing. That went out before the problem of the crankshaft sensor.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #29
ey2001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah my throw out bearing. That went out before the problem of the crankshaft sensor.
Did you not change it when you did your clutch? How's your clutch setup? You have single mass flywheel right?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #30
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you not change it when you did your clutch? How's your clutch setup? You have single mass flywheel right?
Yeah it was all supposed to be refreshed. SMF, spec 2. I think I know why it went out early.

1. I hate the single mass rattle so I always have the clutch engaged.
2. Euro Pulse weighted shifter is heavy and it like testing your hand on the shifter at all times.

Appreciate 1
ey2001310.00
      07-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #31
ey2001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah it was all supposed to be refreshed. SMF, spec 2. I think I know why it went out early.

2. Euro Pulse weighted shifter is heavy and it like testing your hand on the shifter at all times.
How much did it cost to change out the TO bearing?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #32
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How much did it cost to change out the TO bearing?
I'm going back to dual mass so the cost is probably going to be 2-3k depending on final decision. I'll know more next week.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #33
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Bmwdoubles, i thought you had a Mission Performance tune? maybe i missed it but did you decide to go MHD instead after everything was said and done? haven't been keeping up with your build
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #34
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Bmwdoubles, i thought you had a Mission Performance tune? maybe i missed it but did you decide to go MHD instead after everything was said and done? haven't been keeping up with your build
All good bro. Yeah I was with MP. Alex doesn't do F10 N55's anymore so I went with D Shoup out of Florida. We only use MHD as a tool to load custom tunes.

Appreciate 1
      07-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #35
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
All good bro. Yeah I was with MP. Alex doesn't do F10 N55's anymore so I went with D Shoup out of Florida. We only use MHD as a tool to load custom tunes.
okay got it
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #36
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i X-drive

I have a question in regard installing MHD on my BMW. I see that there is only an app on the phone, is there a place to contact and talk to a rep about it. I have a few questions to ask before I start messing with my car.
      07-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #37
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC535iowner View Post
I have a question in regard installing MHD on my BMW. I see that there is only an app on the phone, is there a place to contact and talk to a rep about it. I have a few questions to ask before I start messing with my car.
https://mhdtuning.com/pages/contact
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #38
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
This from the dealer today:

"We've tried to program your vehicle it did not take.

We are still working around it. I will keep you posted. sir."

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #39
ey2001
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Which dealer do you go to?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #40
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Beverly Hills

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #41
ey2001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Beverly Hills
I was afraid you were going to say that... do you know anyone there... I go to pacific Bmw even though I live right next to BH BMW and my advisor I went from my e46 days goes far and beyond to help me out and Glendale...when I had my e60 I took it to Beverly Hills until they hit my car... didn't want to fix the dent...and one time when they disconnected my battery they left all the panels out and dirtied my pillars with they dirty ass hands had oil finger prints... after that I never go there...my bosses car had some issues there too.. said they fix it but didn't fix it at all... so he goes to Alexander bmw... just be careful...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #42
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Beverly Hills
I was afraid you were going to say that... do you know anyone there... I go to pacific Bmw even though I live right next to BH BMW and my advisor I went from my e46 days goes far and beyond to help me out and Glendale...when I had my e60 I took it to Beverly Hills until they hit my car... didn't want to fix the dent...and one time when they disconnected my battery they left all the panels out and dirtied my pillars with they dirty ass hands had oil finger prints... after that I never go there...my bosses car had some issues there too.. said they fix it but didn't fix it at all... so he goes to Alexander bmw... just be careful...
Yeah Pacific BMW is awesome and I do usually go there. I had BH do my lpfp recall and they respected my tune tune at that time. I told them about my hardware and the flash and their cool with it so I towed it over.

That sucks they disrespected you as a customer and now you have me worried. They said they can't flash it but they are looking into it. If they can't fix it I pull the car. Thanks for the heads up praying they don't make my car worse.

Appreciate 1
ey2001310.00
      07-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #43
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

It's worth noting that I've been told a few times that the dealers themselves no longer have access to advanced diagnostics, programming, flashing etc.... They plug the car in and BMWNA remotes in and does the work.

I agree that it sounds like the BH dealership has some work to do on competently respecting the property of others, but there may be no difference in the "skill level" of the technicians trying to program the DME or the tools they have available, since it may be BMWNA doing the whole thing online.

I believe this change was to reduce training requirements in the field and reduces the instances of leaked software out of dealerships. Everything is now done centrally.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #44
ey2001
Captain
Rep

Check this out...

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/m2h7..._content=photo

Wow I guess I was not the only one that they did this too...

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/m2h7..._content=photo
Appreciate 0